Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 09-07-2018, 05:36 PM   #1

Surging Problem

Looking for help. Recently, 450kms ago I had a bad experience after fuelling up bike. Lots of white smoke horrible smell from exhaust. I filled up from a premium dedicated hose. I positive it was water or some other material as it ran on one cylinder for a bit then the other cylinder fired and smoke cleared. I drained the tank totally of fuel, changed oil and pulled checked plugs. Bike has run great for 450 kms and now I get a really bad surge when running at speed. Doesn't seem to be at idle.This was happening at 1/4 full tank. As well just before the surging the engine starts when I hit the start button twice but, I had to roll the throttle while cranking engine.

My suspicion is that the fuel filter is plugged and while the tank is full the pump is getting enough head pressure.

The price of a new fuel pump is $645 cad which you need because the filter and pump are one assembly.

Anyone ever experience this? If so is there any easy way to prove it out. I have the maintenance manual so I see the methods they use.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2006 900 Kawa Classic
2007 1600 Nomad
2013 Voyager

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by seawolf; 09-07-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Old 09-07-2018, 08:43 PM   #2

You can try to find an aftermarket pump that will be a lot cheaper. Take a look at our Tech section, I think it lists some part numbers for pumps. The pump we have is made by Mitsubishi, and I believe the filters can be removed and cleaned.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951