Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-28-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
Mega-Contributor

Pipes

I am about ready to invest in a set of aftermarket pipes for my '07 Nomad. I am leaning towards the V&H Baggers. I know this is a highly subjective topic, but who has these pipes and what do you think of them? Also, are there other brands/models I should consider?

I must say I am little disappointed by the lack of availability of aftermarket pipes for these bikes, many manufacturers don't even list an application for them.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Pipes

cactus jack: Your right on lack of availability on brands. Two major contenders V&H and Cobra. I personally own the V&H baggers and love them. I've heard the Cobras and they are tinny sounding to me. Much prefer the deep roar of the V&H. Some will say too loud I say just right. Wear ear plugs or tunes if a little too loud. i ride w/o any ear plugs and no problem. I dont regret the purchase at all. best $450 i ever spend. they are little over 1.5 yrs old and look new. Good luck. :-)

Old 01-28-2008, 11:17 AM   #3

Pipes

CJ,
I had an 06 with VH baggers. To me they sounded good, maybe a little loud. Now I've got Cobra's and really like them better. The best thing to do is try to listen to each one before you lay out the big bucks. If I'm not mistaken Bub, Roadhouse and Jardine all make pipes for the Nomad. They just aren't easy to find.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:42 AM   #4

Pipes

The V&H Baggers have a good sound albeit going a little higher pitch when under load. I just purchased a '08 Nomad and will NOT be putting these pipes on it.

Rear Header Pipe Cracking:
Myself and many others others, that do long runs with multiple tank fillups, have had problems with the rear header pipe developing a circular crack at the first bend coming out of the rear cylinder.

In 100,000 miles on my 2000 FI Nomad I've had five of these cracks to develop (two on virgin pipes). I typically do 800 to 1200 mile runs at one time. There are many, on both the Delphi and VROC groups, that have had these same failures.

It appears that the constant heat at highway speeds over several hours, with minimal cooling during fuel stops, causes the metal to change temper and becomes very brittle so that the vibration tends to develop these cracks.

When talking to V&H they deny that they have ever had this problem. Even when I talked with the same CSR on a subsequent failure he said he was unaware of this type failure. However, they have extended their customary 90 day warranty to 1 year on these particular pipes.

As a side note the collar that is spot welded so that the flange will seat the pipe on the exhaust port broke on my front header pipe at 90,000 miles. I had it re-welded and is is still holding a 117,000.

Potential Solution:
Myself and Groundhog have been running a re-welded pipe with a patch welded over the top of the re-weld without a failure. I have 20,000+ miles on this patched pipe including a 9000 mile run to Alaska and back to Texas last July and it is still holding up.

I prefer the sound and looks of the Roadhouse Dooleys. however, with the change of ownership, manufacturing startup delays, and unknown quality and product support I will probably go with Cobra True Duals on the '08. Also the Roadhouse pipes are priced at a little over $200 more than the Cobra's (Cobra offers a lifetime warranty).

Cut to the Chase Summary:
No V&H Baggers for me unless there is a significant change in the customer support attitude and product reliability.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:44 AM   #5

Pipes

I have V&H Baggers now. They sound excellent, and help a pinch on power. I do have amajor gripe with them; my rear headpipe cracked (as many others have), and they refused to replace it, since it didn't happen right away, during the warranty period.
I took mine and had it welded, seems ok now.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-28-2008, 11:45 AM   #6

Pipes

V & H's rule.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
Mega-Contributor

Pipes

Quote:
CJ,
I had an 06 with VH baggers. To me they sounded good, maybe a little loud. Now I've got Cobra's and really like them better. The best thing to do is try to listen to each one before you lay out the big bucks. If I'm not mistaken Bub, Roadhouse and Jardine all make pipes for the Nomad. They just aren't easy to find.
That's good advice. The only ones I've heard on a Nomad so far have been the V&H Baggers.

It sounds like a tie between V&H and Cobra. I like Roadhouse, but don't trust the company.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Pipes

V & H's rule.
VBA #00077

Old 01-28-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Pipes

I like the look of the V & H Baggers but you guys are right the Quality has a problem. I haven't cracked the pipe yet but the Baffles fell apart. The welds that hold the rings to the baffle kinda didn't quite touch the two together. One started to rattle at about 12,000 Km so I pulled them out and thye came out one side in three pieces and the other side in two.
Am not sure, but has anyone noticed that after stopping the bike to fill up for fuel the pipes really seem to crackle loud? I've got Roadhouse on my Drifter and they are no where as loud as these! Another buddy has Cobra's and his has a slight crackle but nothing like mine!

Old 01-28-2008, 02:24 PM   #10
Top Contributor

Pipes

yes you can hear the pipes cooling down when you turn it off, not been a problem in my case so far.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 PM   #11

Pipes

I've sent emails to Cobra and V&H, asking if either plan to introduce a black version (hey, I want to be different). V&H might in the next few months, Cobra has no plans for black pipes.

I didn't think this search would be so difficult, but I am also a Nomad owner dissapointed with the selection of available pipes.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Pipes

I have the V&H Baggers on my 2006 Nomad. I love the sound and am happy with them. I would take a close look at Cobra because I think they look better. I don't like the naked cross-over pipe on the V&H Baggers that does not have a chrome cover.

Old 01-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to birdginski
Pipes

I have V&H on my Nomad and haven't had any problems in eighteen thousand miles in a year and a half. Maybe I should keep my toes crossed. I have removed some of the fiber glass to make them a little loader because I ride with Harley owners with V&H pipes witch seemed to be louder.

Old 01-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #14

Pipes

COBRAS RULE!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #15

Pipes

BUB no longer makes there dual baggers for Nomads. I spent a week trying to find some for the wifes bike when she got it. We both now have V & H's. I think they are a little loud, Liz thinks they are great. If you plan to remove your swing arm for greasing with the Cobra pipes you have to remove the rear down pipe. With V & H you do not.