Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #1

?'s for 1700 Nomad Owners

I am looking to upgrade to a new 1700 Nomad but would like to know what the owners think of their 1700. Not sure where to post but here goes.
1) have you had any problems yet
2) overall quality?
3) ride and handling
4) did you own a 1600 nomad before you bought a 1700 and was it a mistake to upgrade.
5) pro's and con's

thanks in advance for your comments.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-10-2009, 06:21 PM   #2

Overtight drive belt - had a whine at 47km - Easy fix - dealer set to a bit below K spec.
Rear wheel miss align - was out just a hair - dealer aligned no problem.
No issues at all that wernt set up related.
Quality is good. A bit more chromed plastic than my buddies 1600 - same area his is metal.
Ride is good. no complaints.
Handling is incredible - it is very nimble - I dont feel the weight even when stopped.
Power - I find it very nice. I can out pull my buddies stock 1600 without much trouble.
Previous bike was a 1984 Aspencade.
Trans - 6 speed is real nice. Shifting is a bit clunky at first, has smoothed out a bit over the past 1400km.
Seat - you sit in the seat rather than on it. Its not bad, but I have to get used to it a bit. Passenger seat according to my wife is very comfy with ample acreage.
Back rest is also nice but not much different thatn the 1600.
Accesories are nonexistant so far, looking for a light bar and rear rack.
Brakes - work good.
Clutch feel - Nice hydralic clutch, dosnt tire the wrist and has very good engagment feel for me.
Engine - I suprised at how quiet the engine is - Not much vibration at all except if its really pulling hard then the bike feels the power pulse's a bit - Mirrors at 100-120km hardly vibrate at all - This I find amazing.
Going for a weekend tour the 19th into Montana (Im in Southern Alberta) so well see what its like when home isnt 20 minutes away.
So far, Im not sorry at all and am looking forward to riding it each day.
Hope this helps a bit - Jim

Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #3

Below is the review I wrote back in April. It's only got better.

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...t=9518&start=0

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 06-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #4

I have had mine for a bit over a month probably. It is what I would call a get used to bike. When I first sat on the seat I thought I might have to replace it. But now realize that it is probably one of the most comfortable stock seats I have ever had. You can sit so deep it is almost like having a back rest or scoot forward for another seating position. The saddlebags seem kind of flimsy but after using them for awhile I find I can get into them without getting off the bike and when they are shut they are as firm as any other bags. Power is good, handling is probably better than most big tourers. I have finally learned to not scrap the floorboards (I came off a BMW-RTP so am not used to easing around curves quite so much) However coming from a semi-sport bike means that the foot position is really forward for me and it took awhile to get the feel of where the floorboards are and working the heel shifter. The cruise control I didn't think was something I would pay much attention to. But the more I ride the more I tend to use it on the straightaways. In short I love it now and it just keeps getting better. By the way, Whompus has a heavy duty rack that is easy to install and looks good.

Old 06-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #5

just back from an 8 day trip and I am happy with it. The seat is fine even though I had doubts when I first started riding it.
had a a lot of scraping of the foot boards initially and I was riding solo and lightly loaded, experimented before leaving and ended up with 6 pounds of air in the rear shocks and I haven't grounded the boards since. The bags caused no problems and I had 'em loaded well, including the tops but I'll still prefer to get liners that extend into the lid. Also had a Bikers Friend on the pillion.
Doesn't have the rain protection of my previous Wing but it is better than most.
Just back today and I'm kinda' beat but that isn't the bike, thats my old bones.
She ran like a top.

Login or Register to Remove Ads