Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 06-15-2008, 12:26 AM   #181
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
KawaNOW Western Region Rally

Ride safe brother!!! See ya Wednesday?

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2008, 07:13 AM   #182

Send a message via AIM to Idaho

Holly smoke, I've been checking the weather down there and it is going to be like riding in a blast furnace, 104 degrees. Next time we either need to go earlier if we head to the desert or go to the mountains somewhere. Can we say HOT????? ???
VBA #110
VROC #24864
IBA #49753
2007 Nomad 86,000 miles
Bud Smalley
Pocatello, Idaho

Idaho Jack Adapter

Old 06-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
Thanks BD, We'll be in Thursday evening. Coming out of Bryce that day. See ya then!

Old 06-15-2008, 08:26 AM   #184

[quote=Valdez (lone Juan)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Blowndodge "Darksider"":ikbcxisu
Thanks BD, We'll be in Thursday evening. Coming out of Bryce that day. See ya then! [/quote:ikbcxisu]

I got your number now, I'll call and leave a message and perhaps will catch you when your off the road for the day and discuss Utah routes and see if we might be in the same place at the same time to catch hwy 12 together.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:43 PM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
Holly smoke, I've been checking the weather down there and it is going to be like riding in a blast furnace, 104 degrees. Next time we either need to go earlier if we head to the desert or go to the mountains somewhere. Can we say HOT????? ???
104?

Hmmm....

Sounds just like home to me. ;)

Hey, it'll cool down once we hit the mountains, and if we can get the hell out of Dodge a bit earlier it will definately be nicer than leaving Mesquite at 9:00 AM.

The ride back down from MT. Carmel will be increasingly hot, and we'll hit Mesquite at the hottest part of the day, which is late afternoon. That's gonna be the hellish part.

We might just want to hang back in the park a while longer than planned (like anything ever goes according to schedule anyway, right?) until the sun starts to set, subsist on canned rations and snacks for a while, and arrive back at Mesquite for a late dinner when things have cooled down a bit.

In my mind it mostly depends on how long the rest of the riders can hold out without beer.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2008, 04:53 PM   #186

It will most likely be pretty hot at Zions too. It has been 105 on some of the times that I've been in the park.

There is the long tunnel though that is nice and cool :)

Next year the rally will be in the mountains. The Black Hills of South Dakota.

Old 06-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #187
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddmannq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
104?

Hmmm....

Sounds just like home to me. ;)

Hey, it'll cool down once we hit the mountains, and if we can get the hell out of Dodge a bit earlier it will definately be nicer than leaving Mesquite at 9:00 AM.

The ride back down from MT. Carmel will be increasingly hot, and we'll hit Mesquite at the hottest part of the day, which is late afternoon. That's gonna be the hellish part.

We might just want to hang back in the park a while longer than planned (like anything ever goes according to schedule anyway, right?) until the sun starts to set, subsist on canned rations and snacks for a while, and arrive back at Mesquite for a late dinner when things have cooled down a bit.

In my mind it mostly depends on how long the rest of the riders can hold out without beer.
The idea for the ride was to be back earlier in the afternoon, before the hottest part of the day. Back in Mesquite, people can drink, swim, gamble, or sit in their room and watch Oprah between the time we return and dinner. The hottest time at Zion is midday, when the sun is directly overhead. At other times, the narrow canyon provides a lot of shade. I can ride all day in temps above 100, but I know many of the members aren't used to it. I took that into consideration.

If the consensus is to leave earlier in the morning for Zion, that's no big deal. It's difficult planning a schedule for a group of people you don't really know. If we want to get up early, eat breakfast at 7:00 (when the buffets open) and hit the road, fine with me. We could leave earlier and eat breakfast in St. George Utah, if that's what the group wants to do. Nothing is carved in stone.

It's 111 here right now, and 125 in my garage. I was getting my gear ready for the rally. I think I'll wait until the sun goes down.

VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-15-2008, 05:35 PM   #188

Whatever you want to do CJ. I wouldn't mind breakfast at 7AM and go.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:32 PM   #189
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge

me neither..

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 06-15-2008, 09:32 PM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
decisions decisions....Not a bad one to be made CJ !!!

I'm going to wipe down the front of my bike; ie, back of mirrors headlight, radiatior windshield turn signals saddle bag fronts with Pam cooking spray. I've done this with cars and trucks for years as well at motorcycles in the past and the splattered bugs wipe right off!!
Don't come near me with that stuff!~ ;)

Old 06-15-2008, 10:29 PM   #191

Yeah, I looked at the maps again and Zion doesn't get up that high. Around 6500 ft. So it probably will still be quite hot there. I would definately be up for a quick shot of coffee, out the door and breakfast in St. George after a brisk morning ride.

But the I won't drink much the night before a big ride either. I'm allergic to hangovers. I do not, however, want to put anyone else in a dangerous situation where they aren't quite human enough to ride early in the morning.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:08 PM   #192

Bring a camera. We need lots O' shots!

Old 06-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #193

I am visiting a friend in Hurricane, Utah right now. (which is right outside of Zions) He says the hot part of the day here is around 5:00 pm. So, it might not be that bad at the time we will be here.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #194
Mega-Contributor

By the way, the locals call it Hur-kun, not Hurr-i-cane.

We'll be passing through there on the way to/from Zion Nat'l Park.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 06-17-2008, 08:51 AM   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
By the way, the locals call it Hur-kun, not Hurr-i-cane.

We'll be passing through there on the way to/from Zion Nat'l Park.

And for Nico and others, the next town after Hurricane is Virgin