Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 08-27-2013, 07:16 AM   #16

I will keep that in mind. In the mean time, I decided to try something on the bike. I remembered the dealer thru our discussions talked about when the the bike doesn't run right to try opening the gas cap. Well that is kind of hard to do when your going down the road 65mph. I had checked the vent line awhile ago. I also noticed there is a check valve in the vent line. umm never had a check valve in the other bikes. Just a straight hose. On Saturday morning I disconnected the check valve and left the hose open to the air. Well believe it or not. So far the bike has run great. The only problem is the restarting the engine after it has warmed up and then left set for more then 15 minuets. It starts with a real low idle like it wants to stall out which it has, more times then not. After I restart it, the idle comes up then settles down to the set idle within 2 or 3 seconds. That is how it should work. Not wanting to stall out.
I still think there is something wrong, because if the bike is designed with a check valve in the vent line and other 1700's are not having this trouble with the check valve, then something must be wrong. I did check the valve and it seems like the little ball inside is moving back and forth when I shook it. I am going out to my dealer this morning to see if we can put a pressure test on the fuel delivery system. If that doesn't work then I will call kawasaki either from the dealer or myself.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #17

Update to my problems. I got the dealer to call KAW. The said to replace the throttle body. Well I must sat, so far in 1000 miles, this bike runs like a whole different bike. It is much smoother and is consistent with starting and the sound of the exhaust. My MPH has improved. Last 2 years when I went on a trip, the highest mileage I ever got was 43. On three different fill ups on this trip I have averaged 47 MPH. I would have never thought I would get that. Now keep in mind. I have kept the speed around 65 and not much over. That is according to to speedo. GPS shows 63. I am happy to go that fast even though I could go faster but I am enjoying the ride
Bill

Old 10-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #18

This past Saturday nite for the first time my skoot showed 18 at start up with just shy of 44,000 mls. I shut it off and restarted it, same thing. I had to get where I was goin so off I went. Boy oh boy was there a loss of power, made it worse as I had my g/f on the back, and she's only a bit over 110 pnds.

Got to whare we needed to get to. Came back out 20 min later, cranked up the skoot and all was well, back to normal, and stayed that way for our ride that nite and some riding Sunday and Monday.

Ifn it happens more I'll contact Kawi.

RACNRAY

Old 10-10-2013, 01:29 PM   #19

Mine was doing the same thing every 100 miles,I cleaned the throttle body,and it did have oil in the openings,after cleaning I have put 1300 miles and have been fine,Mine has always did it on cold starts

Old 10-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #20

Anybody using Seafoam? I'd think that would help keep the TB clean. I use it, bike runs great - better than without it.
Kury ISO grips
V&H Twin Slash
Cobra FI2000R
Chucksters BAK
Ray's Throttle Mod
4 Polk DB521
Alpine KTP-445U Amp

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Win_surfur View Post
Anybody using Seafoam? I'd think that would help keep the TB clean. I use it, bike runs great - better than without it.
Yep used gallons of it. Never helped.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpro215 View Post
Yep used gallons of it. Never helped.
I'll defer to racnray to tell me if I'm totally off base but I think our TB issues were more with the sensors in it being faulty rather than a mechanical issue with the TB.

I cleaned my TB regularly and used sea foam in the gas. Maybe some of the 2011 era bodies we got had bad sensors??
BTW...I have almost 2K miles since my new TB installed and bike runs great. On one trip running about 60 mph. I calculated 49.9 mpg at the pump.

Thoughts?

Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldridgekennedy View Post
I'll defer to racnray to tell me if I'm totally off base but I think our TB issues were more with the sensors in it being faulty rather than a mechanical issue with the TB.

I cleaned my TB regularly and used sea foam in the gas. Maybe some of the 2011 era bodies we got had bad sensors??
BTW...I have almost 2K miles since my new TB installed and bike runs great. On one trip running about 60 mph. I calculated 49.9 mpg at the pump.

Thoughts?
You are NOT off base and right on the money. Code 18 is a fault code for "Accelerator position sensor malfunction". The sensor is not available seperately so that is why the t/b has to be replaced.

RACNRAY

Old 10-11-2013, 12:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
You are NOT off base and right on the money. Code 18 is a fault code for "Accelerator position sensor malfunction". The sensor is not available seperately so that is why the t/b has to be replaced.

RACNRAY
Makes me think I'm in the wrong business - should be selling Kawasaki OEM parts...lol
Kury ISO grips
V&H Twin Slash
Cobra FI2000R
Chucksters BAK
Ray's Throttle Mod
4 Polk DB521
Alpine KTP-445U Amp

Old 10-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
This past Saturday nite for the first time my skoot showed 18 at start up with just shy of 44,000 mls. I shut it off and restarted it, same thing. I had to get where I was goin so off I went. Boy oh boy was there a loss of power, made it worse as I had my g/f on the back, and she's only a bit over 110 pnds.

Got to whare we needed to get to. Came back out 20 min later, cranked up the skoot and all was well, back to normal, and stayed that way for our ride that nite and some riding Sunday and Monday.

Ifn it happens more I'll contact Kawi.

RACNRAY
So your saying your Vaq showed 18. Wow after all you have done to it. Ok the dealer showed me the old throttle. The butterflys were not in line. In other words the gaps on one side was different then the other. Almost like the aren't synced. Does that make sense. My bike hasn't run right from the beginning. Now since throttle change, it runs like a whole different bike. The exhaust is more consistant. Millage has increased on the highway. Keeping fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Old 05-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #26

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. But I had error 18 happen to me today and the bike has less than 5K miles on it. I cleaned the throttle bodies and the bike is back to normal now but I'm afraid that it's just a band aid fix.

Ray, did your code ever comeback after it's initial time?
Avon Grips with Ray's Throttle Mod
Vance and Hines slipons