Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 10-23-2008, 05:48 PM   #1

Best jacket for all seasons

What's the best all season jacket for the budget price? Pictures would help me decide. I would rather have one brightly colored or something with contrasting colors but I'm not wild about the crotch rocket style. (men and womens). Anyone tested and proven a jacket with a reasonably low price that's a good jacket? ??? What's the difference in textile, mesh, cordura jackets? Is one better than the other for certain seasons?
Thanks,
Zoom

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #2

http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/

try this site for some good prices

Old 10-23-2008, 08:51 PM   #3

This is what I'm using and it has already saved some hide.

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/prod...ctid=269&cat=3

Old 10-23-2008, 09:00 PM   #4

I hope this isn't a thread-jack, it's not meant to be... I decided this time around (my 10 year old Aerostich Darien is well worn now) to get a 1 piece riding suit because I tend to get lazy and not put the riding pants on. Hopefully by having the pants on as well, I'll be better at wearing full protection all the time. Right now I'm pretty focused on the Olympia Phantom (the "gotta wear shades" yellow).

Old 10-24-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
Top Contributor

zoom: I own 2 jackets. One is a fox creek insulated leather jacket(not cheap) but excellent quality. Good for fall/winter or colder weather. Then I just bought a textile Fieldsheer full mesh jacket with rain/insulated liner. This jacket is great for 4 season riding including some hot days. Cost about $185 from Liberty Moto in TX. so if you want ONE jacket to do all, I would pick a mesh textile even though they do look kinda crotch rockety.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
Mega-Contributor

Where I live, there's no such animal. Temps go from 30's-40's in winter to 110+ in summer.

I'd suggest a good heavy leather jacket with zip-out liner for cold weather, remove the liner for milder temps and a mesh jacket for warm weather riding.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 10-24-2008, 10:52 AM   #7
Advanced Member

http://www.thehelmetsource.com/Merch...t_Code=TMJett2

I wore this jacket on Valdez's Fall Colors / Polar Bear run this past month. The temp got down to 22* & never over 38 over two days of riding. I did wear a light hoodie under the jacket & at no time was I uncomfortable due to the cold. It is a fairly heavy jacket that has a wind block flap over the zipper that keeps the cold out. The white stripe & the piping is all reflective. It is vented on both upper arms & shoulders in addition to all the way across the back. I'm 6' and 235lbs, & wear a 50-52 size coat. I ordered the 2XL. This is a little too big, but with a hoodie under the jacket & the liner zipped in, the fit is perfect.

If you order from this site, they have a $10 off coupon (code rider5) in addition to free shipping.........-Rich

Old 10-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Where I live, there's no such animal. Temps go from 30's-40's in winter to 110+ in summer.

I'd suggest a good heavy leather jacket with zip-out liner for cold weather, remove the liner for milder temps and a mesh jacket for warm weather riding.
CJ...we are not listening to your advise on jackets. You are not qualified on this subject. As you have pointed out sooooo many times , it is always warm where you are!

I agree with most. That yellow textile jacket I have on below is great for all seasons. It is a Frank Thomas and was on sale for about $150. I would prefer a longer one in winter. Bought it at Cycle Gear. Because it is from the UK the zipper is on the opposit side...takes a little getting used to.

When it is real cold I put a real big wind breaker over it....works great. Toasty, dry, and bright color for safety. This allows me to "peel off" layers at the day warms up.
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 10-24-2008, 05:33 PM   #9

Shoot...thank for posting this topic...I forgot that I have a liner that came with this jacket. It has been hanging in my closet. Now I can get even warmer!
VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 10-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #10

schoeney.
Is the size of your jacket the size you normally wear? Some I have tried on seemed like they need to be a size bigger especially if I have a sweater or thicker clothes on. There are not many dealers around here that has a variety to look at. I found a Fieldsheer Drifter that I liked but it was black and had the zipper offset to the side. I like the yellow. I'm leaning more toward a textile jacket since it's water proof and a little warmer. I tried another mesh jacket with the extra liner but the liner kept sliding out when you pulled your arms out. Shouldn't it be secured so it can't do that? I think it was a Joe Rocket Atomic.
Zoom

Bobby Risher
Terry, MS
Kawanow member # 124
South Central Group
2000 Nomad 1500 (carbed) 128,000 miles

Old 10-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #11

I bought a Tourmaster Draft jacket from www.helmetharbor.com and then went back and got the Aquatherm liner.total of about $150- love it

Old 10-24-2008, 08:02 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoom45
schoeney.
Is the size of your jacket the size you normally wear? I tried another mesh jacket with the extra liner but the liner kept sliding out when you pulled your arms out. Shouldn't it be secured so it can't do that?
Sizing is a subjective thing and you're right it depends on how much you're going to layer up underneath.

The tourmaster line has loop snap on the liners at the end of the sleeves which attach to a color coded bungee loop in at the end of the jacket sleeve.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #13

I just got this one, and I really like it. It is very warm on 40 degree mornings on the interstate at 80mph, has plenty of pockets in the right places, has armour in the right places, velcro in the right places to sinch up the fit, and the quilted liner zips out all the way to the end of the sleeves. It isn't colorful, like you are wanting, but there are others on the site that are. Personally, I don't want color, I want black, looks less like a crotch rocket in black, and the piping glows really nice.

Jacket:
http://leatherup.com/p/Mens-Motorcyc...ket/50865.html

Also got these instead of leather to match. They are nice as well. Insulated, elastic at the bottom to keep them from creeping, on/off easily with full length side zipper, no extra belt required, just loop them over your pant belt, and nice price:
http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/11330

For winter gloves, I chose a pair of ski gloves from the local Sports Academy store over scoot gloves. Look at both, prices were better at the Sports Academy.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 PM   #14

Oh yeah, the wife got this one. It's nice as well. I actually wish the piping on mine was black like hers. In daylight, you can't tell it is reflective, but at night, her black piping is just as bright as my gray piping. She's also getting the fabric chaps from cyclemax.
http://leatherup.com/p/Fabric-Motorcycle....ket/54464.ht ml

BTW, according to tourmaster's website, these jackets are good for all seasons and rain. After getting the jacket, I believe it. Lots of ways to adapt (remove lining, open vents, etc).

Old 10-24-2008, 09:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoeney
Because it is from the UK the zipper is on the opposit side...takes a little getting used to.
Umm, I thought that meant it was a woman's jacket? lol