Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Parts & Accessories

Old 11-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #1

trunk recommendations???

My wife doesn't like the backrest and a few members have said that a trunk made their passenger more comfortable so I am considering it. There is a local salvage yard but I am afraid of getting a piece of salvaged s**t. I have been warned to stay away from matzu trunks. What other options are there. She would love a wrap around style pad on it but other than that I don't care. It doesn't need lights or a top rail and I can paint so I don't care about color as long as it doesn't look like Gordon's Nascar. Rainbows are hard to cover. I will also need a source for a mounting bracket too.

Thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

trunk recommendations???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
My wife doesn't like the backrest and a few members have said that a trunk made their passenger more comfortable so I am considering it. There is a local salvage yard but I am afraid of getting a piece of salvaged s**t. I have been warned to stay away from matzu trunks. What other options are there. She would love a wrap around style pad on it but other than that I don't care. It doesn't need lights or a top rail and I can paint so I don't care about color as long as it doesn't look like Gordon's Nascar. Rainbows are hard to cover. I will also need a source for a mounting bracket too.

Thanks
If price is a factor, I suggest going with a Mutazu DMY trunk and a Wompus Rack. No matter what kind of trunk you buy, you are going to need something to mount it on, and the Wompus rack is as good as you can get.

Mutazu DMY

Wompus Racks

Here's a picture of my Nomad with the above-mentioned setup:

I would recommend purchasing the optional wrap-around backrest for the trunk is you ride two-up. Your better half will appreciate it. I don't ride two-up so I don't care, but I've heard the standard backrest is hard.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-24-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
Advanced Member

trunk recommendations???

I bought the Matzu "VIP" trunk & mounted to the luggage rack that came on my bike.

The trunk looks good from a distance, but in reality it is JUNK IMHO. I had every bolt & screw come loose or fall out. One hinge pin fell out on the freeway. The latch part that is mounted in the trunk broke off. And last the chrome ring around the key lock fell off.

One thing I haven't had problems with is the LED lites, they still work. All of this since I bought the trunk this past May.

If you go looking at salvage yards, look closly where the mounting points are, make sure there are no cracks anywhere.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:21 PM   #4

trunk recommendations???

cactusjack did you have to order the baseplate for the trunk separately or does it come with it? Or do you even need it to mount to the wompus rack?

Old 11-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #5
Mega-Contributor

trunk recommendations???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
cactusjack did you have to order the baseplate for the trunk separately or does it come with it? Or do you even need it to mount to the wompus rack?
I just bolted it directly to the Wompus rack. The trunk comes with mounting plates to mount it on a standard luggage rack (not recommended, btw) and I used two on the inside and ran 4 8mm bolts through the plate, the trunk and the Wompus rack and it's nice and solid.

My experience with the Mutazu trunk is a little different than Redeye's. I haven't had any problems with mine at all, and I've got at least 10,000 miles on it. When I ordered it, I knew when I ordered that I wasn't getting a fiberglass tourpak because I wasn't paying for one. In fact, my expectations were fairly low. I was pleasantly surprised when I unboxed it because it is better than I expected. When I decided to add a trunk, I didn't want to invest $1,000 in a rack, a trunk, a paint job, a backrest and all the extras. My intention is to keep the Mutazu trunk until it breaks and then I'll buy a nice Scootworks Supertrunk and pay to get it color matched. But I'm still happy with the Mutazu and it is a very practical addition to my bike.

Most of the used trunks I've seen off of Ventures and HD's are in pretty grim condition. I am not especially gifted in fiberglass repair, so I decided not to go that direction.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-24-2008, 04:49 PM   #6

trunk recommendations???

So the Mutazu is molded plastic? I can fix the hell out of plastic. I was a model car junky as a kid. I have had some luck with fiberglass but that was making seat pans so it was covered and didn't have to look nice. I may still check out the local salvage yard because you never want to pass up the oportunity for a bargain, like my trailer. But I think so far you have the best solution. I also don't want to shell out $1000. Hell if I do buy one it will be a black pak on a green/silver nomad. trailer is black too, at least something will match right?

Old 11-24-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Mega-Contributor

trunk recommendations???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OP
So the Mutazu is molded plastic? I can fix the hell out of plastic. I was a model car junky as a kid. I have had some luck with fiberglass but that was making seat pans so it was covered and didn't have to look nice. I may still check out the local salvage yard because you never want to pass up the oportunity for a bargain, like my trailer. But I think so far you have the best solution. I also don't want to shell out $1000. Hell if I do buy one it will be a black pak on a green/silver nomad. trailer is black too, at least something will match right?
Yeah, the Mutazu is 100% genuine ABS plastic.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #8

trunk recommendations???

I have 2000 Harley tour pak wrap around back rest mounted on wompus rack. A + on both . trunk came from salvage few minor repairs and new paint good as new. Wife loves back rest, i love the extra room for helmet and leather.
2002 1500 biege/biege ( Darksider)
phattII risers / HD ultra trunk
Member #0855

Old 11-24-2008, 08:24 PM   #9

trunk recommendations???

My trunk is off a '02 Harley Ultra. On the Harley trunks, '05 and older are fiberglass, and '06 and up are ABS plastic. My trunk is very ridged and has no flex. I got it off ebay and it was flawless (except for the color). I have it mounted on a Wompus rack. The set-up is very stable, and the wife really loves it. here's a couple of photos ........

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 11-25-2008, 10:01 AM   #10
Mega-Contributor

trunk recommendations???

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanE
My trunk is off a '02 Harley Ultra. On the Harley trunks, '05 and older are fiberglass, and '06 and up are ABS plastic. My trunk is very ridged and has no flex. I got it off ebay and it was flawless (except for the color). I have it mounted on a Wompus rack. The set-up is very stable, and the wife really loves it. here's a couple of photos ........

That's a damn nice looking trunk! Makes mine look very plain.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

Old 11-25-2008, 11:14 AM   #11

trunk recommendations???

Thank You CJ. I'm like you, I want to do it myself, and I try my best to make it look professional. That was my second attempt at using automotive paint.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 11-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #12

trunk recommendations???

I'm in the process of renovating a Vetter trunk from the 1970's. My lady was unwilling to lose the grab bars or existing backrest, so I couldn't use any of the newer trunks available. Also, I wasn't too fond of always having the trunk mounted, so I made a mount assembly that attaches to the existing backrest and luggage rack assembly and is easily removeable. The stock backrest and rack remain in place at all times. I think it will look pretty good when done, and should serve my needs well.

Old 11-25-2008, 01:24 PM   #13

trunk recommendations???

I too would recomend the Harley Tour Pak, they are big strong trunks that provide a good backrest, and have the ability to have tailights built into them.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
trunk recommendations???

I didn't stop to think about a Harley trunk {wish I had, sorta} after I saw the trunk on Gadgets site. I found a decent Venture trunk and I took to the autobody shop and had them fix the cracks and then paint it. I made my own rack but had a problem with the trunk breaking/cracking at the "foot" mount, in one place. Once I had that fixed, I remounted it and used 4 rubber starter hangers for mounting the starter or alt. on a car. Works great now. It allows that little bit of vibration. Wouldn't want to ever take it off. I keep my rain gear and helmets in there, amongst other things. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM   #15
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
trunk recommendations???

there's one on ebay now, if you're interested. If this link doesn't work for you, just type in 1984 venture trunk and this one will come up. There are others I'm sure, or maybe you want one like that good look'in Harley trunk.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1984-venture-trun...3286.m20.l1116

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png