Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 09-26-2010, 07:47 PM   #1

Knee Injury Question

I just went to the doc two days ago because of terrible pain in my left knee when I walk (or just sit around for that matter.) Doc says he thinks I have a torn meniscus. (cartilege between the knee bones) To make sure, I have to go get an MRI before he repairs it.

I think I tore it swinging my right leg over the Nomad seat and twisting my left knee at the same time. Maybe more than once. It didn't hurt at the time, but now it is very painful!

Surgery will be arthoscopic with two small incisions near the knee.

Has anyone had the same kind of problem? I just wonder how common this is. BnG

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-26-2010, 08:00 PM   #2
Top Contributor

Knee Injury Question

very common for my two shot knees. He might give you a brace to wear to see if it will help.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:08 PM   #3

Knee Injury Question

I had it done several years ago due to a similar injury (torn cartilage). Piece of cake with the arthroscope. Just left me with some swelling and I couldn't fully bend the knee for a couple of weeks. The only thing I was left with is a "strip" that runs down the outside of my knee, about 6 inches long and 2 inches wide, that remained numb. It's like it has no feeling, but if I crawl around on my knees and put pressure in that certain spot, it buzzes like hell and hurts too! And that's after 21 years! (I had the surgery in 1989). But ultimately, the knee was better off after the operation than before. YMMV.

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 09-26-2010, 08:19 PM   #4

Knee Injury Question

I had a "bucket handle" meniscus tear in my right knee repaired in 1989. It would lock up when I squated down or sat in a chair. I would have to grab the ankle and pull my heel up to my but for it to unlock. Felt like I had a nail or something trapped in the joint. Hurt like hell. I tore it jumping up for a basketball rebound in a fathers vs. sons game. It sounded like a 22 rifle when it tore. Everybody in the gym heard it. It immediately filled with fluid. I had an MRI and it showed the meniscus tear and the cartilage at the end of my femur shattered. The orthopedic surgeon told me he would scope it and try to make the repairs without open surgery. He was successful in cutting out the tear and grinding down the femur cartilage until he got past the windshield shatter. Suctioned all of the crap out and I was back to work in 1 month while the prognosis said I would be off for 2 months. A week after the surgery I lost my balance in the shower and fell through the curtain busting my mouth on the toilet lid. Wasn't a good month at all for me. I was 36 at the time and healed up pretty quick. He said that I would possibly develop arthritis in the joint later in life and he was right. It hurts a little when the weather changes in the winter but other than that it's OK. I hope all turns out well and don't miss your therapy after the surgery. It is a huge help. Good luck BNG.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 09-26-2010, 08:28 PM   #5

Knee Injury Question

I had it done also. The operation is a piece of cake. It is definatly worth doing.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #6

Knee Injury Question

I had my left knee scoped in 08. It would be a mistake to take any operation to lightly. i thought it would be a snap, I mean like ball players have it done and 3-4 weeks later they are back in action. Well one week after my scope i developed DVT (deep vein thrombosis)behind the left knee. I had to give myself pre measured shots every 12 hours in the stomach. unfortunately after completing the series of shots my blood became to thin and i had a "Bleed" into my knee cavity which left my knee filled with blood the size of a volleyball for 5 months and a boat load of physical therapy!It's amazing how much work and pain one will endure to be able to walk again.The message is that DVT is more common than most people know. DVT can be prevented. Make sure that you discuss with your Dr. what will be done to minimize the chance of developing DVT!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel
Knee Injury Question

Had PCL work done in 92 on my left knee. Then in 03, I tore the ACL, the MCL and a tear in the meniscus in the same left knee.

The MCL healed on it's own. The meniscus had a horizontal tear, so they were able to stitch it, (this put me on crutches for two months). The ACL had to be replaced, from graphing a ligament from my calf muscle. Inserted a screw at both ends.

The overall procedure was done arthoscopically. 4 small incisions.

Overall everything seems fine, I've still able to play sports with no setbacks and pretty much same speed, (basketball, racquetball, golf and weight lifting).

Old 09-27-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Knee Injury Question

Had my left knee operated on and rode within a week. It hurt like the dickens when I mounted the bike since all the weight transferred to my left leg. No problem riding though. Just getting on and off.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 09-27-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Knee Injury Question

1976, I tore my ACL and the meniscus in my right knee. They had to open it up and fix it. Been just fine the last 34 years. Hurts from time to time, the last couple of years (especially when weather changes), and swells up sometimes, and occasionally buckles (that is real recent). But, otherwise, O.K.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:44 AM   #10
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Knee Injury Question

I fell at work back in Feb. and after a misdiagnosis of it being just a slight strain, they decided to do an MRI. There was enough info to decide to operate. They found that I tore the MCL slightly, which led to tearing the meniscus, and strained the ACL badly, but didn't tear It. Like some of you other guys I had some swelling and mild pain. The recovery seemed to plato off and now after 7 months of no work, physio and exercise the surgeon feels that the ACL {the ligament over the knee I think} might require some reconstructive work. I go to see him in about a week to find out the final word on this. My knee was giving out or buckling for what seemed like no reason. The physio guy seems to think the surgeon will be going back in to do some "tightening" of the ACL. Apparently no a pleasant operation and more involved than the "scoping" of the knee.
It's been kind'a nice not having to go to work every night, for the last 7 months, but I really would like to get this injury behind me.

I had my left knee scoped a long while back with no issues. So don't worry too much Dave, you'll be fine.

I'm just lucky that with the state of our medical system, that I did this at work. Here it can take up to 11 months just to get the MRI, then some where like 6-8 months to have the operation. Workers Compensation throws buckets of $$$ at the Dr. with their own clinics to get the worker put first in line so they can get back to work ASAP.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 09-27-2010, 02:17 AM   #11

Knee Injury Question

Hi Dave,

I have had 2 knee surgeries. One was minor...a meniscus tear + repair (basketball), had it done about 10 years ago. One major, an ACL reconstruction (basketball), had it done 16 years ago. Still have screws in my knee.

The meniscus repair was a pretty quick recovery (1-2 weeks) but I was only in my early 40's at the time. The surgery itself was over before I knew it started. It was acually kind of cool. I got to sit up and watch it.

I still play basketball 3 days a week and I also started running some long distance (for me) events (anywhere from 9-26 mi) when I turned 50 (I am now 52).

Both knees are holding up great (knock on wood). I found the key to it has been keeping the weight off. Just 5-10 pounds make a huge difference on my knees. It is a constant battle as I love to eat (and do).

When mounting the Nomad I make sure I face both knees to the side of the seat lift my right knee with my hands and keep the twisting to a minimum. It helps but sometimes I am not perfectly balanced. I can see where you could torque a left knee pretty good. You might try wearing a brace (two velcro strap kind) after the surgery when riding the Nomad....at least the first few times.

Good Luck.

VBA #659
2003 Nomad 1500 (Gone but never forgotten)
2005 Honda ST1300 - Sweet and still kickin
2006 Honda Goldwing - Best Boat in the Marina

Old 09-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #12

Knee Injury Question

I find it much easier on the knee to mount the MC from the right side. Safer on the side of the road also.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 AM   #13

Knee Injury Question

had this done last year 2 small incisions on the knee and thats all. had it done on Thursday and back to work on Monday. a little swelling, put ice on it when i got home and walking on it on Saturday.
VBA # 290
2006 Black Nomad

Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 AM   #14

Knee Injury Question

I had my knee scoped on a thursday, had some fluid drained during a follow-up on friday and back to work on tuesday. It is very routine.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #15

Knee Injury Question

Thank you all for telling me your "knee" experiences. Now I know a lot more than I did before. Looks like I'm going to have to lose some weight too!! I knew it was coming. Thanks again, everyone. Dave

Dave Mills AKA BiscuitsNGravy
2006 Vulcan Nomad "BiscuitsNGravy"
Kawanow #150
Vietnam @ Jan67-Jan68
Retired USAF
Patriot Guard Riders/American Legion #431