Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #1

Vaquero Rear Brake Problem

I have a 2011 Vaquero with 17,000 miles on her. There is a scraping noise coming from the rear brake, particularly noticable at 30 mph....scrape..scrape...scrape ...scrape....Disappears when I turn side to side, and disappears when I apply the brake, until I reease the brake pedal. The brake pedal does not pulse when the brake is applied. My local repair shop replaced the pads today, but the problem still exists....anyone else experience this problem? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The Kawasaki shop says to get louder pipes and I won't notice the problem anymore....not right.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-23-2014, 10:40 PM   #2

See if a small stone is wedged in the caliper, although if the dealer replaced the pads they should have found it, also make sure that the caliper bolts are tight on the mount. You should be able to see where it scrapes if you turn the wheel by hand on a jack.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-23-2014, 10:46 PM   #3

Check your belt for stones. Also check the belt alignment.

Old 07-24-2014, 12:04 PM   #4

Check your wheel bearings too.
Cobra Scalloped Slip-ons

Thunder Mfg. Intake Gasket
DEI Titanium exhaust header wrap
Corbin heated seat.
Polk Audio db521 speakers
Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 with Mobil 1 M1-110 filter
Kuryakyn Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs
Chrome passenger running board covers
All new fluids and lube.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #5

Techs say the rear rotor needs to be replaced...new one will be in next Thursday, will keep all updated whether this works or not.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-25-2014, 12:22 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsailor1 View Post
Techs say the rear rotor needs to be replaced...new one will be in next Thursday, will keep all updated whether this works or not.
I highly doubt that..... pull your bag off and post some pics. probabbly just your pads. Pads are waaay cheaper that rotors.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 07-25-2014, 12:36 AM   #7

When I described a similar sound in my front wheel to the tech at my local Kaw shop... and occasional pulsing in the brake lever - He quietly told me the "trade-trick" is to lift the wheel, determine through spinning it which side is touching, and exactly where (inside or outside) - and then give it a decent whack inwards with a rubber mallet or a tweak outwards with a long crescent wrench.

Take that as it's offered... I took it as another good reason not to take my bike there.

I didn't have to do it anyway... When I removed the wheel and then re-installed it with a new tire, I took both rotor's off, cleaned them both up at the mounts, and then torqued them back down to spec using red loctite on the bolts. Whatever was slightly out of kilter before that, was completely eliminated. No more scrape... scrape... scrape... No more pulsing.

New rotor's are not cheap though - so even the whack or tweak might be worth a shot?

When I had my rotor's off I took them to a local engineer who specializes in car rotors to see if he could reface them. He was extremely leery of bike rotors... Made of much harder metal he told me, and much thinner than car rotors - very very hard with the equipment he had to take anything off the surface except one side at a time on a (hopefully) flat surface with a milling machine, which exposes a risk of bending or warping it or having unequal thickness across the rotor, and no absolutely no guarantee of success. He said he'd had as many failures as successes, so it would be at my risk. Fortunately the clean and remount fixed the problem, so I didn't have to go any further down that track.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 07-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
I highly doubt that..... pull your bag off and post some pics. probabbly just your pads. Pads are waaay cheaper that rotors.
Pads have already been replaced with no relief from the problem.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:53 PM   #9

UPDATE: So my Kawasaki Dealer replaced the rotor...no charge...scraping noise is still present. Damn it! At least it hasn't cost me anything .... yet. Noise is really noticable at around 35 mph, no noise whenever i lean ever so slightly to one side or the other.

Old 09-02-2014, 10:23 PM   #10

Quote:
UPDATE: So my Kawasaki Dealer replaced the rotor...no charge...scraping noise is still present. Damn it! At least it hasn't cost me anything .... yet. Noise is really noticable at around 35 mph, no noise whenever i lean ever so slightly to one side or the other.
if it is scraping then obviously something is out of alignment, I wonder if could be the caliper itself is rubbing on the inside against the rotor? easy enough to take off the caliper and just check to see if there are any wear marks up on the inside. Another place may be the rear cable for the brake, or other part slightly out of alignment and rubbing against something.

By the way if a tech told me to get a louder exhaust so I wouldn't hear the sound, I would be getting a better tech so I wouldn't hear the one that said that.

Also one thing you can do yourself is get a jack, jack the rear wheal off the ground and slowly spin the rear wheal while listening closely, you should be able to at least pinpoint where the noise is coming from and go from there.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Last edited by smokey; 09-03-2014 at 08:01 AM.

Old 09-03-2014, 04:25 AM   #11
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have a 2011 Vaquero with 17,000 miles on her. There is a scraping noise coming from the rear brake, particularly noticable at 30 mph....scrape..scrape...scrape ...scrape....Disappears when I turn side to side, and disappears when I apply the brake, until I reease the brake pedal. The brake pedal does not pulse when the brake is applied. My local repair shop replaced the pads today, but the problem still exists....anyone else experience this problem? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. The Kawasaki shop says to get louder pipes and I won't notice the problem anymore....not right.
Check for air in the brake fluid. A little air could be preventing the brake pistons from retracting like they should, allowing a pad to drag.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 09-03-2014, 05:01 PM   #12
Sr. Contributor

It wouldn't be too hard to jack it up when on a lift and run the bike in gear so as to hear wear the noise is coming from.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-03-2014, 05:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
It wouldn't be too hard to jack it up when on a lift and run the bike in gear so as to hear wear the noise is coming from.
You shouldn't run the bike in gear while it is jacked up, apart from the obvious danger, the sound of the motor may mask any noise and make it harder to pinpoint where it is coming from.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 09-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey View Post
You shouldn't run the bike in gear while it is jacked up, apart from the obvious danger, the sound of the motor may mask any noise and make it harder to pinpoint where it is coming from.
Mask it? Like you can tell from riding it? As long as the bike is secured properly, it shouldn't be a problem. With a modified stethoscope, the sound could be located and may be even without as the sound could be at ear level instead of below ass level.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Mask it? Like you can tell from riding it? As long as the bike is secured properly, it shouldn't be a problem. With a modified stethoscope, the sound could be located and may be even without as the sound could be at ear level instead of below ass level.
Hey you want to run it in gear on a stand you fill your boots, I will let the guy know who lost two fingers when they got amputated by the chain. It is not just the bike running you have to worry about if you have your ear close to the wheel with it rotating while trying hard to pinpoint a sound while your stethoscope, long hair, whatever gets caught up in something. I always prefer safety over lost fingers or worse.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Tags
brake noise, brake pads, brakes, calipers, vaquero