Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > NorthCentral Group

Old 09-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #1

Fall is coming fast...

The fall weather is coming fast around these parts...

Took a 3-day ride (Friday -- Sunday) up along the Mississippi River to areas north of LaCrosse, WI. 734 miles total ride, round trip.

Finally was able to ride a bunch of roads in that area that I have been wanting to ride for a long time. Most all of them did not disappoint me in the least. However, the weather did -- just a bit. :(" title="" border="0"/>

Friday averaged all-day around the mid-50's, with a solid overcast and extremely high winds. Although I was bundled-up and couldn't put another piece of clothing on, I was chilled to the bone after a 8-hour ride that day. But hey... I did it anyway!!! Ha! :)

Saturday was better, and Sunday was just about perfect for the trip home.

The roads I traveled north of LaCrosse were extremely nice, with quite a few "jaw-dropping" views from atop the various bluffs. Some of these roads looked to me as if they were specifically designed for cruising in a car or on a bike. Absolutely perfect roads to ride. We didn't take a lot of pictures while riding since it was a bit "cool" and the fingers were not working all that well; but next time I will.

I will be heading back to that area one more time before the winter frosts-me off my bike; and I hope to be back again next year to ride others I couldn't get to.

Maybe next year some of us can get together in that area for a 3-day ride. I'll post something about it late this winter to see if there is any interest in doing so. I found a perfect hotel for a small group (around 9-rooms total) that is located in a great area for a great price. (Perfect for a bike-gathering; and they are biker-friendly.)

I hope everyone else had a good Labor-Day weekend, and was able to ride some. If so... let's hear about it!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-06-2010, 04:25 PM   #2

Fall is coming fast...

Fall?? Bring it on. The best time of the year to ride a MC

Old 09-06-2010, 05:43 PM   #3

Fall is coming fast...

Fall.......we're still in the low to mid 90's everyday here. Another month or more and we will be cooling off.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 09-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #4

Fall is coming fast...

hey glwilson sounds like you had a great trip. sorry we could not make that trip. Seems like we have really been over booking our weekends lately. Keep us in the loop about going up there next spring. It would be a great way to start the riding season & preparing for the National rally in Deals Gap.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

Fall is coming fast...

You guys are making me jealous.
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-07-2010, 11:40 AM   #6
Sr. Contributor

Fall is coming fast...

The trees have already been dropping leaves for 4-5 days now. I'm not seeing any colors yet, but that will happen too. And then rain. Same thing every year.
Riding can be dangerous the last week of Sept. and the first two weeks of Oct.
Leaf peepers have a habit of stopping on corners where there is no pull off, for that perfect picture to bring home. Yikes!
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 09-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #7

Fall is coming fast...

Yeah we have that here in South Central Indiana also they were already at all the state parks over the weekend. We usually try to go the oppisite direction this time of year just to avoid the crowds & gawkers.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:47 PM   #8
Mega-Contributor

Fall is coming fast...

Fall? Hehe...what's that? It was 111° last Friday, 109° on Saturday!
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 09-07-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
Top Contributor

Fall is coming fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Fall? Hehe...what's that? It was 111° last Friday, 109° on Saturday!
Fall is when you get out of the roaster and put into a warming bin.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16

Old 09-07-2010, 07:43 PM   #10

Fall is coming fast...

All of you guys that live in the "Greg is jealous of you for where you live area"... I can only say... I am jealous. ;) ;)

Fall is coming real fast around here as it looks right now.

Last year I rode until the second week of November -- which was an exception for me -- since usually I am done by mid-October. So I was able to squeak-out a couple more weeks. I don't know about this year. Last year at this time we were having "perfect" riding weather (mid 70's w/no rain). Now we are in the mid-60's with high winds and occasional rain.

Who knows... certainly the weather forecasters in this area don't.

So... Cajun, CJ, Waterman, and all of you other guys braggin' about your weather... you make me JEALOUS!!!!!!

PS: As mentioned; I rode 734 miles this past weekend only to find I dented my front fender. I didn't notice it until I cleaned the bike Monday (yesterday). I hit a couple rough-spots that apparently compressed the shocks enough that the fender hit the crash-bar or possibly a "Gremlin Bell" hanging from my triple-tree (yes bluekaw... it was the one you gave me!! Ha!). Now... I'll tell you... I know of someone that has an HD Ultra that dented his fender by hitting the "bump" also. So... at this exact moment... I am rather p!ssed at HD because of this. The person I know had his fender replaced under warranty by HD. I can only hope the same will be done for me. I'll let everyone know how it turns out -- but basically at this point this is my only problem I have had with the Ultra; and I think this is a REAL problem. The shocks should have a "stop" that doesn't allow the fender to hit anything in my opinion. (However... I ride my bike really hard and possibly in a fashion that would be more appropriate to a BMW -- but certainly not what a Triumph could handle. [That "jab" was for BD ].)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-08-2010, 09:22 AM   #11

Fall is coming fast...

Must have been a bad week end for dents & dings. We were riding Sunday afternoon I pulled into a parking area, which I knew better to do, but did it anyways. The road was nice pavement but the parking area was gravel, oops. I did approach the lot in a straight line but the pavement did drop at least 3 to 4 inches. As the front wheel dropped of I squeezed the front brakes causing the wheel to stop but on loose gravel that does not work. The Nomad slid out falling to the right. Wife & I was able to fall clear of the bike. Nobody was hurt or injured. The biggest injury was our pride. After picking the bike up & dusting our selves off we walked around & found no bent or damaged pieces. Thanks to the hi-way bars & the bars protecting the saddle bags. I did find one nick on the left side of the fuel tank. Apparently as I was trying to clear my self of the bike my left boot with metal caught the tank. It nicked the paint hard enough to see bare metal. I do have paint ordered to repair. I know this was a small mishap & could have been so much worse. As we were riding this weekend a total of 6 deer crossed in front of us, that would have been very bad.
Every body ride alert & stay safe

Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 AM   #12
Sr. Contributor

Fall is coming fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1600bluekaw
Must have been a bad week end for dents & dings. We were riding Sunday afternoon I pulled into a parking area, which I knew better to do, but did it anyways. The road was nice pavement but the parking area was gravel, oops. I did approach the lot in a straight line but the pavement did drop at least 3 to 4 inches. As the front wheel dropped of I squeezed the front brakes causing the wheel to stop but on loose gravel that does not work. The Nomad slid out falling to the right. Wife & I was able to fall clear of the bike. Nobody was hurt or injured. The biggest injury was our pride. After picking the bike up & dusting our selves off we walked around & found no bent or damaged pieces. Thanks to the hi-way bars & the bars protecting the saddle bags. I did find one nick on the left side of the fuel tank. Apparently as I was trying to clear my self of the bike my left boot with metal caught the tank. It nicked the paint hard enough to see bare metal. I do have paint ordered to repair. I know this was a small mishap & could have been so much worse. As we were riding this weekend a total of 6 deer crossed in front of us, that would have been very bad.
Every body ride alert & stay safe
I live about a mile off pavement, dirt and front brakes don't mix well. Glad you are OK.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 09-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #13

Fall is coming fast...

We rode the SW Wisconsin roads this past weekend as well. Leaves aren't in full color for a couple weeks but the apple orchards are busy now. Greg if you've been up on 171 through Gays Mills you've seen the many orchards there.

A solo trip is planned (family get-together) in 2 weeks and I already have some new roads mapped.
1976 Honda 750 Super Sport

Old 09-09-2010, 07:13 AM   #14

Fall is coming fast...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal
We rode the SW Wisconsin roads this past weekend as well. Leaves aren't in full color for a couple weeks but the apple orchards are busy now. Greg if you've been up on 171 through Gays Mills you've seen the many orchards there.

A solo trip is planned (family get-together) in 2 weeks and I already have some new roads mapped.
Hey Cal. I have been on 171 several times. A great road to ride -- no doubt. I like 162 and 56 as well -- although just about any of the roads that lead in and out of the bluffs from the river are great to ride. The 3 mentioned just happen to be in better shape than most.

Not sure what your location is in MN; but I found several really great roads just north of LaCrosse that I have been wanting to ride.

One in particular (that wouldn't blow too much of your time on your way south) would be CR-S (heading north / north-east starting in Analaska -- just north of LaCrosse), then connecting to CR-M; then to CR-D into Mindora. In Mindora, take SR-108 south back down toward West Salem. This loop is a "must-ride" loop with fantastic roads and fabulous bluff views (especially CR-S).

Just a suggestion if you get the chance. (There are others, but this loop wouldn't be too much out of the way on your trip south.)

I plan on getting back up there again one more time before the cold sets-in -- but we'll see if that happens.

VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 09-09-2010, 09:16 AM   #15
Top Contributor

Fall is coming fast...

Hey Greg, nothing to be really jealous about in eastern Colorado. Come October/November the bike is generally put to sleep for the winter here as well.
VBA 213
VROC 16913

Custer 09: Cortez 10: Crescent City 11: Kanab 12: Estes Park 13: Tahoe 14: Red Lodge 16