Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 02-09-2018, 12:45 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
My wife has not seen the bike yet other than in pictures. But she does say the green strap had to go��

Before I discovered the 2012 color scheme that I fell in love with, we were drooling over a 2015 in a parking lot, we loved the color, but both of us said that if we got one that color, the green pinstripes had to go immediately.

I would have either had a pinstriper I know stripe over them in a different color or do what I did on my 2003 Suzuki Volusia. It is Black and came with gold pinstripes. I got red striping tape and went directly over the gold ones with it. Came out perfect.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by BonVoyager; 02-09-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:01 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
Called RDL today. Second week of June. May just wait 'til next winter. Depending on work at the time. 6 weeks turn-around from Alabama.
Bought the bike today. Left it at the guys house until tomorrow. Didn't get off work 'til after dark. Around 40 degree, dark interstate, and 90 miles on a new to me bike. I'll pick it up tomorrow at lunch and leave work earlier.
Wow. Their dates are filling up quick. I placed my order last week of Jan for a May 11 build. Surprising considering its prime riding time for most. I assumed the winter would be backed up.

18 Voyager 1700

Old 02-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #33

Bonvoyager, , I have the same bike as you and love it's looks. But it's funny that I have actually looked into replacing the red stripe with the green. As a diehard Kawasaki and Arctic Cat guy, I bleed green.
Racnray's throttle mod
Kuryakyn trunk rack
Kuryakyn longhorn offset hiway pegs
Grasshopper riders back rest

Old 02-11-2018, 09:07 PM   #34
Advanced Member

ECU mails out to Ivan tomorrow. Also gonna replace the tires. 5150 miles on the bike and the front tire has the left side about worn off and the center tread is there but is cupped realy bad. looks like it was ran with realy low preasure it whole life. I went ahead and order both tires while at it. Never removed a belt drive tire before. Gonna mark the axact location the axle is now and hope all is well with the tension. 5000 miles. Hope it is still in adjustment.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 02-11-2018, 11:08 PM   #35

Hey Chuck... There's a way to remove the rear wheel without altering the adjusters at all. If you take your bags off, put the bike on a lift, drop the left side muffler (loosen the front clamp so it can swivel), and then take the shocks off... You'll be able to lower the bike so you can access the nut, and then raise it up to pull the axle out underneath once the belt slackens.

I've had my rear wheel off & on several times now without ever needing to adjust the belt tension. Make sure the tension is less than Kaw spec. Tighter than a banjo string will only damage your belt or the pulleys or both. If it's not too tight and doesn't catch any stones, that carbon belt will outlast the bike. It'll never stretch.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Peg; 02-11-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Old 02-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #36

Wow congratulations chuck!! That is an awesome price and bike!! How did you like the ride home?
FYI might have an interest in your 03 RDL when you get ready to get rid of it.
Congrats once again!
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 02-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #37
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasta View Post
..............FYI might have an interest in your 03 RDL when you get ready to get rid of it.
Congrats once again!
Thanks! It was sweet,,,,,other than the seat sucked major. Other than the 1700 being newer with gadgits, the 1500 just fits me good. Don't I wish the backrest was interchangeable, hit's me right. Man don't I wish the RDL would move right over. I will kept you in mind when I do decide to sell it. Front, rear and passenger back rest are done.

Patriot Guard Riders
2015 Voyager
VBA #2993
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 02-12-2018 at 09:35 PM.

Old 02-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #38

The stock tires on my 2016 Vaquero were dead after only 4900 miles, I assume the Voyagers come with the same ones but not sure. Congrats on the bike, it is a good deal for that $.

The Ivanization transforms the bike completely... When the dealer did the tires recently, I had them loosen the drive belt to the LOW end of the specification or just below it. It was whining quite a bit on deceleration before that. I think the recommended slack is too tight perhaps.

Old 02-13-2018, 07:34 PM   #39
Advanced Member

Spoke with Ivan again today. Boy, I've got to quit already. The bike, the tax and title, the tires, and the reflash. BUT while on the phone with him I ended up buying the Vance and Hines muffles also. Too good of a deal to pass up! Boy, hope the wife don't catch on.

Patriot Guard Riders
2015 Voyager
VBA #2993
DAMMIT TOOL:

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 02-14-2018, 12:04 PM   #40

I've got the Vance and Hines pipes on mine. They sound good, but are pretty loud for my tastes. Riding with a full face the other day when it was chilly outside was almost intolerable. They are ok with the usual half helmet I wear. I had the Cobras for a while, but didn't like the tone. The VH's are deeper for sure.

Old 02-14-2018, 08:23 PM   #41
Advanced Member

I will end up wrapping the baffles as I did on my 1500. Ivan called today. Had the reflash done but had forgot I told him to ship the mufflers. My original order said no mufflers. He will not have the mufflers until tomorrow or Friday. Be next week before I get the ECU and muffs as they will ship back together. Rain is forecasted for all weekend and I am working any way.

Patriot Guard Riders
2015 Voyager
VBA #2993
DAMMIT TOOL:

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 02-15-2018, 02:34 PM   #42

Hey it'll give you something to look forward to anyway. :)

I'm going to ride with the VH pipes for a while and see how it goes. I only really have about 200 miles on them, and most I've ever had settle down or at least change tone in some way with a couple thousand miles of burn-in.

Old 02-15-2018, 07:59 PM   #43
Advanced Member

Ivan called today to give me a tracking number. My ECU and pipes are on the way!! Should be here Monday. Impatient to hear it run but it will be here before you know it. Working anyway . Front tire is replaced and starting on the rear.

Patriot Guard Riders
2015 Voyager
VBA #2993
DAMMIT TOOL:

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 02-15-2018, 10:27 PM   #44
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
Hey Chuck... There's a way to remove the rear wheel without altering the adjusters at all. If you take your bags off, put the bike on a lift, drop the left side muffler (loosen the front clamp so it can swivel), and then take the shocks off... You'll be able to lower the bike so you can access the nut, and then raise it up to pull the axle out underneath once the belt slackens............
Do you pull the trunk, bag brackets and the fender off or just get the tire out by raising the bike that high? Been watching the internet videos. They strip her down! Mufflers are coming all the way off as I bought them with the Ivans upgrade.

Patriot Guard Riders
2015 Voyager
VBA #2993
DAMMIT TOOL:

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 02-16-2018, 05:30 AM   #45

You can leave the fender on, but the bags need to come off whichever way you do it. Once the shocks are removed, the wheel & tire stay on the ground while you raise the bike up high enough to roll the wheel out from underneath. So make sure the bike is balanced well on the lift without the weight of the rear end! My lift doesn't go quite high enough to roll the wheel out straight, but it'll fit out easy enough if you lean it a little to one side. You'll see what I mean when you try it.

You need to drop the left pipe (let it swivel on the front clamp) because the axle (and/or maybe the bottom left shock mount) won't fit past the pipe still fastened.

Reverse the process to re-install. I drop the bike back down low to the ground while the wheel is out to lessen the chance of an accident, and when the wheel is back in - tighten the axle with the bike lowered to approximately ride height. The belt tension will keep the left side tight on the adjuster, give the back of the wheel a bump to the right to make sure the right side is also tight on it's adjuster before tightening the axle.

I've found it saves a lot of time I used to waste getting the belt tension "just so" doing it this way, and unless you get the balance on the lift all wrong, it lessens the chance you'll have to use that "Dammit" tool of yours.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)