Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 01-31-2018, 02:22 PM   #1

Music/Iphone Help

I have a 2013 Voyager with factory stereo and speakers. I have always plugged my phone into the iPod adapter using a 30pin to lightening connector to listen to music. I enjoy being able to skip songs, change playlists, etc through the handlebar controls. Recently, perhaps with the new iOS update, my phone shows "adapter not compatible" message when I plug in. While I can still play my music I no longer have control over songs and playlists.

Has anyone else experienced this? I stream all my music so I don't have the actual songs downloaded to the device. I know I could use a 30 pin iPod but then I would have to buy all the songs which is cost prohibitive.

Any help would be appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-31-2018, 09:57 PM   #2

Your issue might have more to do with the adapter cable 30 pin to lightning than with your phone. Those often have issues.

I bought an old 30 pin iPod Classic 64GB on Ebay for my car. Bought used, they're cheap as chips, especially (like mine) when the screen has dead pixels and the headphone jack is kaput. I need neither of those things to plug it into my car, or my bike, because both use the vehicle screen and controls - so for me it works perfectly even with those faults, and the faults brought the price waaaay down. If I want, I can have the hard drive swapped out for a solid state drive of huge capacity too, but I don't need that just yet (I've had no issue yet with the old classic's drive skipping or stuttering). Those old iPod Classic's were renowned as having much better audio, thanks to the so-called "Wolfson" audio chip installed in them. 5th or 5.5th generation are widely regarded as the best. Google will tell you all about that Wolfson chip.

If you have an Itunes account for your music for your Iphone, that music can also be sync'd to an Ipod. There is no limit to the number of devices which can be registered to the same account. See Google again for help with how to do that.

I use "Cinch Audio Recorder" to record all my music from Spotify, and then add the resulting recordings to Itunes to get them onto my Ipod. Itunes will also sync any of those tracks & playlists to any device I have linked to the account.

I have enough music on the old Ipod now so that I can drive or ride for several full days without hearing the same song twice - and plenty of room left on the drive to easily quadruple that. It'll do me, and it's the cheapest music solution I've found.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Last edited by Peg; 01-31-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Old 02-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #3

Seems Yamaha is also having a problem on their new Venture/Eluder with a recent iPhone update as well.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:57 PM   #4

I was/am having the sam issue with my Vaquero. All the research I did indicated it was an adapter issue. Research concluded that this issue goes away when you purchase an apple specific adapter (not a knock off). I purchased one this Christmas; however, have yet to validate since it’s not really riding weather as of yet. Plus the bike is tore apart due to other mods. I know it’s not a true solve for your problem, but just some insight to what I’ve researched.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Thank goodness I changed the entire factory radio out for a Kenwood and I just stream Pandora. I can skip tracks with the handlebar controls as well. If the issue is with your factory radio I can sell you a replacement on the cheap. I have both a Vaquero radio and a Voyager radio which lights up differently

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-03-2018, 01:53 PM   #6

Thank you all for your replies - I truly appreciate it. It is possible that the Apple adapter I have used successfully for the past 3 years finally failed. As the cheapest possible solution I will buy another and see if that works.

Old 02-03-2018, 09:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
Thank goodness I changed the entire factory radio out for a Kenwood and I just stream Pandora. I can skip tracks with the handlebar controls as well. If the issue is with your factory radio I can sell you a replacement on the cheap. I have both a Vaquero radio and a Voyager radio which lights up differently

What other radio functions can you do with the handlebar controls? Did you have to buy something to make it integrated? Which radio did you use?

Old 03-27-2018, 11:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherC View Post
Thank you all for your replies - I truly appreciate it. It is possible that the Apple adapter I have used successfully for the past 3 years finally failed. As the cheapest possible solution I will buy another and see if that works.
I would be very interested in finding out the fix for this as well. I just inherited a fully functional iphone 6 with the lightening jack and would consider buying the kawi adapter etc but at this point I am reluctant.
( I am assuming the same issues apply to all years of the Voyager 1700)

Last edited by koogeorge; 03-27-2018 at 11:58 AM.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #9

Update

Turns out that the new 30pin to Lightning cable didn't solve the problem. If I start the bike and then plug in my iPhone or iPod the stereo will properly detect it and it works fine. The only problem is that it slows down my quick getaways.

I use Apple Music so the handlebar controls allows me to select playlists, skip songs, and volume control. Music will still play if the head unit doesn't recognize the device but I lose controls.

I think I am going to pursue a new headhunt, amp, and upgraded speakers. I do a lot of long distance riding and have come to rely on music while riding. I don't want to get on a long trip and not be able to ride the way I like so changing out the headhunt appears to be the only permanent fix.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:44 AM   #10

Thanks ChristopherC on further investigation it looks like it has to do with the IOS update. Ipod music will work but Apple Music will not. I guess older phones still using IPod platform should still work. Back to the drawing board for me.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:04 PM   #11

Quote:
Ipod music will work but Apple Music will not. I guess older phones still using IPod platform should still work
That is very valuable information. Thank you for sharing. At over 100 bucks for the adapter, I will sleep better knowing what music format I need to be successful. I still need the Apple product so now I know what to look for.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 03-29-2018, 02:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherC View Post
Turns out that the new 30pin to Lightning cable didn't solve the problem. If I start the bike and then plug in my iPhone or iPod the stereo will properly detect it and it works fine. The only problem is that it slows down my quick getaways.

I use Apple Music so the handlebar controls allows me to select playlists, skip songs, and volume control. Music will still play if the head unit doesn't recognize the device but I lose controls.

I think I am going to pursue a new headhunt, amp, and upgraded speakers. I do a lot of long distance riding and have come to rely on music while riding. I don't want to get on a long trip and not be able to ride the way I like so changing out the headhunt appears to be the only permanent fix.

I just use my old iPhone 4. I wiped it clean and downloaded all my music onto it. I actually use several for different music genres. I mostly listen to Reggae/Ska so I have one phone with just that in it and another for Rock. The benefit of using the older iPhones is you don’t need a 30 Pin to Lightning adapter, just plug it directly into the Kawasaki adapter. Everything works as it should with the handlebar controls and play functions.

Old 03-30-2018, 09:15 AM   #13

I just a frickin old 8GB ipod, which bought off ebay incl. the adapter cable used for 50 bucks and my android phone stays in my pocket. When I ride, I don't need any phone calls. Never had a problem with.

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Old 04-05-2018, 07:39 PM   #14

So I found an Ipod TOUCH, 1st generation 8gb, 30 pin. Should be here next week. Will this work with the Kawasaki Ipod Kit? I think I was able to find the right iTunes program for Win 10. It boots any way. Will test it when the Ipod gets here. Will it fit in the foam insert? ( I paid up the wazoo for it may as well use it.) If the battery in the unit will not hold a charge (it is a used unit) How long will it take to be usable/Charged enough to play?

Sorry for the questions but I HATE Apple products and Know nothing about them.

Yes I could go with a new stereo and PAC unit but I like plug and play stuff.
I would rather ride than Fiddle with tearing apart the bike and such things.
And I do not want to regret Spending my trailer hitch money on something that will not work as advertised.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Last edited by mbarr10; 04-05-2018 at 07:47 PM.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarr10 View Post
So I found an Ipod TOUCH, 1st generation 8gb, 30 pin. Should be here next week. Will this work with the Kawasaki Ipod Kit? I think I was able to find the right iTunes program for Win 10. It boots any way. Will test it when the Ipod gets here. Will it fit in the foam insert? ( I paid up the wazoo for it may as well use it.) If the battery in the unit will not hold a charge (it is a used unit) How long will it take to be usable/Charged enough to play?

Sorry for the questions but I HATE Apple products and Know nothing about them.

Yes I could go with a new stereo and PAC unit but I like plug and play stuff.
I would rather ride than Fiddle with tearing apart the bike and such things.

Yes, it will work fine. My old iPhone 4 doesn’t hold a charge for very long anymore when it isn’t hooked to power, so it is always powered with the bike. On the days the phone is dead from sitting for a long period of time without riding and getting charged, it takes about 5 minutes or so before it is charged enough and turns back on. So long as I ride often I have no issues with it staying charged day to day, it’s whenever it sits for several days of not riding that it is dead. I haven’t ridden in few months because of the winter and when I went on the bike the other day I took about 5 mins as mentioned before it came back to life. Also, apparently I never took it out of the bike so it has been in there in the shed the entire time since it was parked.