Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 10-07-2017, 01:30 PM   #1

New Owner- Experience and Questions about GPS Integration

Hi All.

New owner of a 2016 leftover Vaquero. I am coming from another Mama-Kaw bike, a Concours 14. Always rode sport or sport-touring bikes from the Ninja, Concours 14, Aprilla Futura, BMW realm. Turned 50 this year and decided I would try a bagger.

After much research and thought, I knew this was one cool bike.

My ride on a demo was a mixed bag. I loved the rumble of the V-twin; the seating position (I call it "chill"); the position of the bars (so comfy) and the vibe/looks. What made me almost not buy it was the immediate rush of wind into my upper torso and all around my head. My Concours has an electric windshield that literally gives me the best of both worlds. A breeze in the city and a nice cocoon / air pocket when on the interstate. This Vaquero protection was terrible.

The deal was too good to pass up and I new there had to be aftermarket shields. I just hated the look of the flat, touring style ones. Too full-dresser looking for me. Well I took a chance and bought the Klock Werks, 12" tinted flare and boy what a difference. Makes the experience a completely different level of joy. I can see over it, but it also provides just the right amount of "cacoon-ing" that I need. I can hear the radio on the interstate, listen to the rumble of the V-twin and just cruise.

Enough of what you all already know...............

I have searched but can't seem to find the answer. I love having the built in radio. On my Connie, I used a SENA BT unit synced with my phone for tunes, phone emergency calls, GPS prompts using Google maps, etc. But now I want to use the built-in system.

If I buy a line-level blutooth adapter and wire kit, I know that I can stream music to the stereo and my phone's NAV will do cut-in audio with directional prompts and the phone audio will come through the speakers. But what will power the microphone in my helmet? This will not work!

So I am thinking of making the investment in one of the Garmin Units. I have read here that the Garmins can connect to my phone for full phone functions, can play audio and of course do full NAV all through the Kawasaki stereo. The connection is underneath the head unit to make the Garmin work.

But how does the helmet MIC work? What device or connectivity is allowing the helmet to communicate with the other caller? I can't use the Sena mic because its proprietary.

Thanks in advance for the help. It's awesome to see a forum dedicated to these awesome bikes.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #2

If you redirect away from the helmet, I believe that you will lose all helmet functions. I don't know of any way to split the audio and microphone functions like that. You will probably need a separate music device from your phone and you will not be able to use voice commands or place/receive phone calls. I don't know if the Vaq came with an iPod connection standard, but you can connect the iPod there, or get an adapter (or do what I did since I will never have an iPod) splice in the wiring for an MP3 player. Then BT the GPS and phone to your helmet.

I don't usually use the built in stereo, but when I do use it for my own music, I plug in my MP3 player. I have the latest TomTom Rider (the 400). The GPS connects to the phone and helmet. The phone also connects to the helmet. When I am playing music from the phone, that is paused for GPS or phone calls. The helmet mic is included in the connection to the phone. Of course, the fairing stereo is not paused for GPS or phone functions, if I am listening to music thru it.

Old 10-07-2017, 05:40 PM   #3

Thank you for the information. It's exactly what I was looking for.
Looks like I will have to keep the SENA, no matter what.

Old 10-08-2017, 05:04 AM   #4
Top Contributor

Welcome from Italy!

VN 800 A - VN 900 Classic
VN 1700 Vaquero

Usque ad finem.

Old 10-08-2017, 08:51 AM   #5

Greetings and Welcome from Eastern Iowa.

Congratulations on the new ride! Sabre-T covered it pretty well. My bride and I use the Sena SMH-10 for phone/music/day-to-day NAV (Phone), and the SMH covers the bike to bike intercom. I do have a Garmin, however, it is not BT and is used for bigger pre-planned routes and trips, etc.
Not sure if any of the above is helpful...

You will want to READ the IVANizing ECU re-flash threads.

Enjoy your ride!
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads