Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #1

Looking for opinions on exhaust

So I'm not particularly fond of my exhaust . I have the factory headers with the crossover tube still intact with rush slip on's . I would prefer to go to a full duel exhaust eliminating the crossover all together . Would like to have the nice deep rumble that my Nomad has with the Vance & hines . So far all I have seen is the Cobra true duels and the freedom . Any help with deciding on pipes would be appreciated .

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2017, 12:13 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Top Cat is the expert on loud pipes. (Loud pipes save lives!) You might want to contact him directly.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-26-2017, 06:10 AM   #3

Pop, Pop, Pop Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridefree View Post
So I'm not particularly fond of my exhaust . I have the factory headers with the crossover tube still intact with rush slip on's . I would prefer to go to a full duel exhaust eliminating the crossover all together . Would like to have the nice deep rumble that my Nomad has with the Vance & hines . So far all I have seen is the Cobra true duels and the freedom . Any help with deciding on pipes would be appreciated .
I put a set of Cobra Tri-ovals which I thought was the answer, Sounded loud and rumbbly. But it Popped and banged and backfired to the point of embarrassment. That was in the days before the IVAN Re-Flash (which I understand cures the pops). I tried a Bully fuel processor and it did nothing to resolve the popping. Put the stock pipes back on, Sold the Tri-ovals.

What I'm saying is - Pipes alone probably won't give you what you will want for your 1700 - You will need the IVAN Re-Flash to make it so it don't pop, bang, boom.

Note - the guy I sold the Tri-ovals to Loves them. With the re-flash and I believe big air kit all is well..

Good Luck.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:27 AM   #4

Thanks Mike , I should have mentioned in my post that I did recently have my ecu flashed by Ivan . I'm also running a k&n filter but plan on putting on a bak this winter so no popping and backfiring problems here . Just looking for the right sound .

I've heard good things about the Freedom performance . I may try the v&h slip on's and see if they sound better before I replace the entire system .

Old 08-26-2017, 08:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeyman View Post
Top Cat is the expert on loud pipes. (Loud pipes save lives!) You might want to contact him directly.

Yes , I've heard he is the expert

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #6

Quote:
Thanks Mike , I should have mentioned in my post that I did recently have my ecu flashed by Ivan . I'm also running a k&n filter but plan on putting on a bak this winter so no popping and backfiring problems here . Just looking for the right sound .

I've heard good things about the Freedom performance . I may try the v&h slip on's and see if they sound better before I replace the entire system .
Be sure to check with Ivan for an update to your reflash if you install a BAK. When I had him do his latest reflash update he told me it was setup as two versions, one with BAK and one with stock air. I opted for the stock air since I don't run the RPM's in the 4000 range very often.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 08-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #7

Thanks JD , I will . When I spoke to him I told him I had the K&N filter . Not sure which version he would have flashed but it's working great so far . If I decide to go with a BAK I will definitely call to verify .

The few guys I ride with tell me I should leave the sides as they are . they look great . I must agree and will probably leave it alone . I bought this bike a little over a month ago and I've never had it past 3000 rpm . I'm pretty easy on the throttle .

Funny how everybody has that perfect sound they like . Mine is a nice deep rumble at idle but really barks when you open her up .

I was in the shop today and thought what the hay , Will my V&H baffles fit my Rush and sure as shat they do . I like the way they sound so I'll probably just order another set and go with it .

So in the end I'll probably just leave the K&N intact and run the Rush mufflers with the V&H baffles . Bike runs awesome and sounds much better .

Old 08-27-2017, 06:17 AM   #8
Top Contributor

"The few guys I ride with tell me I should leave the sides as they are . they look great . I must agree and will probably leave it alone".

Chuckster makes a BAK kit that leaves the bike looking stock as it uses the original cover over the intake.

http://chucksterscustoms.com/product...1600-1700-bak/

Old 08-27-2017, 08:53 AM   #9

Thanks Red , that would be the direction I would go . I love the fact I can still use the original cover . I've ordered from Chuckster's before but didn't know he offered Vaq accessories . Thanks for posting the link .

Old 08-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #10

Is anyone using the V&H pro pipes 2 into one . I thought I might give these a try . I've watched utube vids and read some great reviews .

If your using a set your input would be great ....

Old 08-28-2017, 07:26 PM   #11

I just installed a used set of V&H dual slash cut slip on a few weeks ago. Nice low rumble when riding and during acceleration the sound is loud but still low in pitch. The guys I ride with love the way they sound.
Auxillary Lights
Kuryakyn Longhorn Highway Pegs
Mustang Seat

VBA #: 3681

Old 08-28-2017, 08:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Steelers View Post
I just installed a used set of V&H dual slash cut slip on a few weeks ago. Nice low rumble when riding and during acceleration the sound is loud but still low in pitch. The guys I ride with love the way they sound.
Good info there Steeler , Thanks . I do prefer the duel exhaust look . I wonder why V&H don't offer a complete unit to get rid of the crossover tube . Not sure if having true duels would make that much of a difference anyway .

I do like the sound of V&H . Looks like I'll be shopping for slip ons then . The decision has been made .

By the way , welcome to the forum !!!

Old 08-28-2017, 09:55 PM   #13
Advanced Member

In cars you they keep the cross over pipe to equalize the back pressure.

Quote:
Good info there Steeler , Thanks . I do prefer the duel exhaust look . I wonder why V&H don't offer a complete unit to get rid of the crossover tube . Not sure if having true duels would make that much of a difference anyway .

I do like the sound of V&H . Looks like I'll be shopping for slip ons then . The decision has been made .

By the way , welcome to the forum !!!

Old 08-28-2017, 11:50 PM   #14

Quote:
In cars you they keep the cross over pipe to equalize the back pressure
I do not know much about the performance, but I wanted the duel exhaust for the looks and function. Coming from a 2007 1500 kawi classic the dual pipes on one side made the bike look goofy, 2 pipes on one side looks dumb. I still think 2 pipes on one side is non-symmetrical. This is one of the reasons I bought the Vaquero. I like the balanced look of a pipe on each side. Just my preference though. Performance to me is not in the HP but in the handling and ride ability of my bike.

2016 1700 Vaquero 10/4/2016
2007 1500 Classic W/ Reckless Fairing, 42,000 miles
2004 600 Honda Shadow 18,000 miles
1989 500 Honda CX Custom 55,000 miles
1973 400 Kawi Triple 5,000 miles

Old 08-29-2017, 08:50 AM   #15

Thanks for the lead on the pipes but I think I'm going to track down a set of slip on's and give those a try . I love the look of duel exhaust and IMO just wouldn't look right with one pipe coming out the rear . Agreed with your statement .