Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 12-19-2015, 12:45 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
The dyno tuner should have addressed the popping during the tuning session, that is part of developing a custom map for a skoot. YOU should not have to deal with this.

I have been a DynoJet Dyno owner/operator since 1993 or so and I seriously question a gain of 10 H.P. AND 14 PNDS TORK. So far, with MANY MANY 1700's on my dyno, including well over 500 runs on my personal Vaquero, those gains are typical when comparing a STOCK 1700 to the results gained with your slip-ons and BAK. In other words the gains you quoted are not possible in a tuning session unless the gains are referring to what a stock 1700 makes.

Stock 1700's average 70 H.P. and bout 89 pnds tork, with the BIG 3 I see bout 80-82 H.P. and 100-102 pnds tork. Did you get a dyno sheet with the mapping and what are the peak numbers? I am interested as so many shops blow smoke up the customers you know what.

RACNRAY
Thanks for the info. They gave me a copy of the graph that shows the readings before and after the tuning. Torque and HP. I honestly wouldn't know whether they were blowing smoke or not.
I can scan it and email it if you would like to see it. When they told me it's normal to have the popping/backfiring I didn't believe it. They also said, which I think is def. garb, is that a stock bike backfires just as much, but you just don't notice it b'cuz of the stock mufflers.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-19-2015, 06:36 AM   #32
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. in Phoenix View Post
Thanks for the info. They gave me a copy of the graph that shows the readings before and after the tuning. Torque and HP. I honestly wouldn't know whether they were blowing smoke or not.
I can scan it and email it if you would like to see it. When they told me it's normal to have the popping/backfiring I didn't believe it. They also said, which I think is def. garb, is that a stock bike backfires just as much, but you just don't notice it b'cuz of the stock mufflers.
That is actually true. You dont hear it because the stock exhaust is heavily baffled. When you an open exhaust or muffler the sound is amplified and you definitley hear it. What you hear is actually not "Backfire" it is afterfire, unspent fuel being reignited in the hot exhaust. Thanks EPA. It will not harm the bike but anmoys the piss out of the rider. You can tune out the pop using the PCV. Work in the 0% throttle column and it will not affect the tune they did for you. Definitely worked for me. My bike rarely lets out a pipe fart.

We all forgot to ask it been so long. Did you block off the fresh air injection hose behind the rightside dogbowl cover at the 11:00 position? If you dont block it, no amount of tuning will get rid of your popping.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Last edited by Ken Vega; 12-19-2015 at 06:38 AM.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:19 PM   #33

Exactly what Ken said. Mine barely farts, if and when it does, it is not a loud annoying one.
Afterburner 4500LM LED headlamp
Ivan's Performance
12 VDC plug-in
BAK Thunder mfg.
Cobra Tri-Flo
2011 Ducati Monster 796
2006 GSXR 600 (track bike)

Old 01-05-2016, 12:21 AM   #34

Thanks Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Vega View Post
That is actually true. You dont hear it because the stock exhaust is heavily baffled. When you an open exhaust or muffler the sound is amplified and you definitley hear it. What you hear is actually not "Backfire" it is afterfire, unspent fuel being reignited in the hot exhaust. Thanks EPA. It will not harm the bike but anmoys the piss out of the rider. You can tune out the pop using the PCV. Work in the 0% throttle column and it will not affect the tune they did for you. Definitely worked for me. My bike rarely lets out a pipe fart.

We all forgot to ask it been so long. Did you block off the fresh air injection hose behind the rightside dogbowl cover at the 11:00 position? If you dont block it, no amount of tuning will get rid of your popping.
I'll give your suggestions a shot with the zero column tuning. Dumb question here, but I'm guessing I would decrease the amt of fuel in the zero throttle position, correct ?? Hopefully that'll do it. Since I'm not as familiar with this stuff as most of you guys I have to ask. I have the Kuryakyn Alleycat Air Cleaner. If I remove it will the fresh air inj. hose be easy to locate. How did you block yours off ?
Also, my 2011 Vaquero has just over 3K miles. I know, that's pretty lame... When I installed my Vance and Hines Slash cut slip-ins I didn't replace the gaskets between the header and exhaust pipe. Should I do that as well ?

Thanks for the tips
Alan James

Old 01-05-2016, 12:29 AM   #35

Dino Tuned Map

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99xcsp View Post
I'm also willing to share the dyno tuned map that I received. Sorry I wasn't trying to be rude. just send me your e-mail.
Is the map you have for a 1700 Vaquero with v&h slash cuts and an air cleaner ?? If it is, would you mind sending the map you have. Thanks very much

Alan

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-05-2016, 09:12 AM   #36

Quote:
I'll give your suggestions a shot with the zero column tuning. Dumb question here, but I'm guessing I would decrease the amt of fuel in the zero throttle position, correct ?? Hopefully that'll do it. Since I'm not as familiar with this stuff as most of you guys I have to ask. I have the Kuryakyn Alleycat Air Cleaner. If I remove it will the fresh air inj. hose be easy to locate. How did you block yours off ?
Also, my 2011 Vaquero has just over 3K miles. I know, that's pretty lame... When I installed my Vance and Hines Slash cut slip-ins I didn't replace the gaskets between the header and exhaust pipe. Should I do that as well ?

Thanks for the tips
Alan James
Some BAK's instruct to KEEP the fresh air system connected and have the appropriate fittings on the kit to allow that system to remain active. Some BAK's include instructions on how to DISABLE that system.

I don't know the procedure for ur kit.

ANYWAYS, and this is a BIG ANYWAYS...IF that fresh air system was left operational and was fully functional during ur dyno tuning session, and the tuning session included sampling the air/fuel ratio, then the tuning is inaccurate due to the oxygen content brought into the
exhaust.

Dyno shops, as I do, MUST ask or ascertain if that fresh air system has been disconnected BEFORE the tuning session, and if it has not then it MUST be cancelled out to accomplish accurate air/fuel ratio analysis.

If you find that it has not been rendered inoperable then it is recommended the skoot be re-tuned with the system cancelled out.

RACNRAY

Old 01-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #37
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for the tips
Alan James
The column usually reads all zeros unless your dyno tuner messed with it. I tried dropping up to 35% in that fuel column and still had popping. Decided to go the other direction and ended up at 4 in the 0 throttle column for fuel from 1250 rpm to redline. I do not suggest adding fuelbelow that because the idle will become rich and likely result in an overwhelming stench of fuel. I also added 4 in the 0 throttle position of the Ignition table for the same values, 1250 rpm to 5000 rpm. Popping gone 99.9%. An ocassional pipe fart at 2100 rpm with throttle closed on decel and usually only when the pipes are hot like in stop and go traffic.

Now the exhaust gaskets, as long as you were gentle in their removal when you took off the stock mufflers, you can reuse them as many of us have done. I installed my slipons after the 600 mile service. Right muffler gasket came right off, the left one was a little bitch and I had to finess it with small screw driver to get it off. I was able to reuse both with success.

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 01-05-2016, 09:54 AM   #38

The type of gasket Kawi uses to seal mufflers to headers is a somewhat fragile graphite/ wire mesh gasket. If the mufflers are removed gently those gaskets can be re-used, BUT I ALWAYS apply copper hi-temp sealant to both the gasket and the mufflers and the muffler pipes.

I believe in the old saying "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure".

RACNRAY

Old 01-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #39

just my 2 cents, listen to ray,he is a expert,he will not steer you wrong

Old 01-10-2016, 08:31 AM   #40

Quote:
Is the map you have for a 1700 Vaquero with v&h slash cuts and an air cleaner ?? If it is, would you mind sending the map you have. Thanks very much

Alan
Sent you a PM, check your in-box! Cheers!

Old 01-10-2016, 02:12 PM   #41
Advanced Member

Anyone here as a good map that is willing to share

Set up 2 into 1 FP
Thunder Mnfr intake

Tkx
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags
6.5 MPX hertz in pods

Old 01-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #42
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcanrider03 View Post
Anyone here as a good map that is willing to share

Set up 2 into 1 FP
Thunder Mnfr intake

Tkx
hey Vulcanrider your mail box is full

Old 01-11-2016, 06:00 PM   #43
Advanced Member

Sorry im good now bud

Please PM me

vulcanrider03@hotmail.com
Nomad 2010
Voyager trunk
Alleycat intake / YVANIZE ECU, Freedom performance 2 into 1
Kuryaken grip with Throttle mod
lost of chrome add on
Sound digital 1200.4 2 ohm
6 x 9 MPX 690 Hertz in custom fairing
6.5 hcx hertz speakers in hard bags
6.5 MPX hertz in pods

Old 02-08-2016, 10:10 AM   #44

Hey I would also like to have the map, if anyone would care share it.

Old 02-20-2016, 07:09 PM   #45

Vaquero map needed

Please send map to me also. 2015 vaquero.
Big Mac, capitalcitycubs@aol.com