Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-19-2016, 10:52 PM   #31

I am still interested. Ideas on cost?
||VBA #03091||

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #32
Advanced Member

I will let you know next week.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 07-20-2016, 12:00 AM   #33

Awesome. Keep me updated.
||VBA #03091||

Old 07-20-2016, 11:25 PM   #34

Yep still want one

Awesome meeting you and nice ride we had and chat at Legal. Still want one and hope you can come up with design to take the fork boots as that would be preferred to me.

Dave

Old 07-28-2016, 09:31 AM   #35
Advanced Member

I have completed the design of a fork brace for the 1700 Nomad and I'm having 2 made, should be done by Aug 5. The brace will look very similar to the Voyager version and will accommodate fork boots from a 2009-16 KLR650, or the fork tubes can be left exposed. I will post photos when they are completed. I expect the cost will be the same as voyager, $225US including hardware, instructions and shipping.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by gv550; 07-29-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:20 PM   #36

I noticed someone posted a link the other day Garry, this one, with some interesting photos of some chrome and some blk/chrome fork boots.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 07-29-2016, 06:14 AM   #37

Yowser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
some chrome and some blk/chrome fork boots.
Dang - they really are proud of those fork boots - $300. Gulp.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #38
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
I noticed someone posted a link the other day Garry, this one, with some interesting photos of some chrome and some blk/chrome fork boots.
Yes, expensive! And they are still a metal sleeve so won't work with a fork brace.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:39 PM   #39

Good grief... I hadn't noticed the price, or anything else about them. Ridiculously nonfunctional bling.

Old 08-04-2016, 07:25 AM   #40

I want to publicly thank Garry for his Fork Brace - I got mine installed yesterday and took a short test ride. I think I'm gonna like it.

While I had the forks out I changed the Fork Oil - Yuck, I was amazed at how dirty it was after only 28,000 miles. Also, after doing the fork oil change, it was much easier than I expected. The only special tools I needed were a 2 jaw puller and a Fork Oil Level tool.

Thanks again Garry!

Old 08-04-2016, 11:10 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
I want to publicly thank Garry for his Fork Brace - I got mine installed yesterday and took a short test ride. I think I'm gonna like it.

While I had the forks out I changed the Fork Oil - Yuck, I was amazed at how dirty it was after only 28,000 miles. Also, after doing the fork oil change, it was much easier than I expected. The only special tools I needed were a 2 jaw puller and a Fork Oil Level tool.

Thanks again Garry!
I'm going thru the same process. I took the forks off today but before I removed them I used the 2 jaw puller to remove the retainer, etc. and then pulled the forks. I assume this is standard procedure.

BTW Harbor Freight sells a kit with three 2 jaw pullers for only $27. Cheapest I found. The smallest one is perfect for this job.

So then I removed the springs and drained the old oil. Tomorrow I plan to add the new oil.

My quandary is how do I reinstall the spring, fork plug and retainer without putting the fork back on the bike, locking the lower triple tree bolts, using the 2 jaw puller to push in the plug and installing the retaining ring, removing the fork and doing the same with the other. Then assembling it all with the brace and so on. I can't see a way to reassemble the forks off the bike. I guess if one is careful, you could take the forks with the oil but no springs and attach the brace and then try to install it on the bike. Then install the springs, etc. Not sure I can manage that without dumping some of the oil out of the forks and other screw ups..

So my question is how did you guys install the brace and change the fork oil. Things were much easier with the old screw in plugs like I had on my Nomad and Shadow where I could assemble the forks off the bike.

Thanks much

Last edited by kpmhspirit; 08-04-2016 at 11:13 PM.

Old 08-05-2016, 12:21 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpmhspirit View Post
... My quandary is how do I reinstall the spring, fork plug and retainer without putting the fork back on the bike, locking the lower triple tree bolts, using the 2 jaw puller to push in the plug and installing the retaining ring, removing the fork and doing the same with the other. Then assembling it all with the brace and so on. I can't see a way to reassemble the forks off the bike...
I assembled mine by holding the fork tube in a bench vice with a block of wood each side, and I modified the blocks of wood to securely hold my puller.

Old 08-05-2016, 07:27 AM   #43
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'm going thru the same process. I took the forks off today but before I removed them I used the 2 jaw puller to remove the retainer, etc. and then pulled the forks. I assume this is standard procedure.

BTW Harbor Freight sells a kit with three 2 jaw pullers for only $27. Cheapest I found. The smallest one is perfect for this job.

So then I removed the springs and drained the old oil. Tomorrow I plan to add the new oil.

My quandary is how do I reinstall the spring, fork plug and retainer without putting the fork back on the bike, locking the lower triple tree bolts, using the 2 jaw puller to push in the plug and installing the retaining ring, removing the fork and doing the same with the other. Then assembling it all with the brace and so on. I can't see a way to reassemble the forks off the bike. I guess if one is careful, you could take the forks with the oil but no springs and attach the brace and then try to install it on the bike. Then install the springs, etc. Not sure I can manage that without dumping some of the oil out of the forks and other screw ups..

So my question is how did you guys install the brace and change the fork oil. Things were much easier with the old screw in plugs like I had on my Nomad and Shadow where I could assemble the forks off the bike.

Thanks much
Pete, I disassemble and reassemble the forks off the bike. Just slide the metal sleeve positioner clamp up the tube about an inch from the top and clamp it down, and use it to anchor your puller. I use a 3-jaw puller, more stable.
You will be moving that clamp anyway now that the sleeves are no longer used.

Garry

2011 1700 Nomad
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:13 AM   #44

How I did it

Quote:

Thanks much
I had a friend helping me and we removed the caps and shock ends while they were on the bike. There is plenty of room to slide the shock in and out with out spilling any oil.
Also, since we could reach the left side (non kickstand side) triple tree easier, we did both shocks on same side of bike. - I did remove tank and lower the handle bars to access the triple tree with the Large Harbor freight puller.

Once we had the oil changed we resumed the install procedure from Garry's instructions.
One word of note: If you drop the handle bars and move any of the wires, hoses and such to the bottom of the triple tree - remember to move them back before you install the forks again. Let's just say we had to drop the front end with the tire on it to get the cables to the top of the tree. Not fun.

Good luck.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #45
Top Contributor

When I remove the handlebars on any bike I use ratchet straps hung from the rafters in the garage. This keeps the bars off the tank and the brake and clutch fluid reservoirs upright, no chance of spillage.