Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 02-18-2018, 06:07 PM   #586

Prospective Voyager buyer with Ivanizing and performance add-ons questions

Ideally, if I get a Voyager I'd like to find one that's already been Ivanized. However, if I can't I'm wondering if you all could answer some questions about how to proceed in the most economical manner:

I see where Ivan charges $350 for the re-flash, shipping not included. If I got the re-flash done and decided at a later date to get some V & H slip-ons and a Roaring Toyz air filter or similar products, would I need another reflash?

Also, Chuck A. mentioned he's considering getting some slip-ons from Ivan, so I'm assuming he sells them. Does he also sell air filters, and is a bundle deal, i.e. getting a re-flash, slip-ons, and air filter from him a better deal than getting the slip-ons and air filter somewhere else?

Since I definitely would want the ECU reflashed, and probably want slip-ons and an aftermarket air filter, I'd probably just budget for all three unless I was fortunate enough to find a bike I liked that had all three. But if not, it'd be nice to know the most economical way to proceed.

Final question about aftermarket air filters. Do they make much difference to the decibel level? I know they can make inline 4's and 3's noticeably louder, but wasn't sure about V-twins. I wouldn't want the decibel level to be a lot louder than stock, so if the slip-ons/aftermarket air filter combo makes the bikes considerably louder I'd probably just get the re-flash and slip-ons.

Thanks in advance for any guidance here.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Toku57; 02-18-2018 at 06:09 PM.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:02 PM   #587
Advanced Member

The reflash has a return shipping charge unless you buy the slip ons. With the slip ons there is no return shipping charge. Ivan sells the slip ons for $25 less than any price I found on the internet. I didnt change the filter. I asked Ivan about the reflash if the filter was changed and he said this flash was good for everything unless you change the intake itself.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:19 PM   #588
Top Contributor

Final question about aftermarket air filters. Do they make much difference to the decibel level? I know they can make inline 4's and 3's noticeably louder, but wasn't sure about V-twins. I wouldn't want the decibel level to be a lot louder than stock, so if the slip-ons/aftermarket air filter combo makes the bikes considerably louder I'd probably just get the re-flash and slip-ons.

An aftermarket air intake kit (BAK) is quite a bit louder than the stock set up.
Just changing the stock air filter on the left side of the bike does not make the bike louder.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:26 PM   #589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
The reflash has a return shipping charge unless you buy the slip ons. With the slip ons there is no return shipping charge. Ivan sells the slip ons for $25 less than any price I found on the internet. I didnt change the filter. I asked Ivan about the reflash if the filter was changed and he said this flash was good for everything unless you change the intake itself.
Thanks Chuck - good to know. I'm confused about air filter vs. air intake. Is air intake considered a separate modification changing air flow?

Also, what slip-ons does he sell?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:36 PM   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post

An aftermarket air intake kit (BAK) is quite a bit louder than the stock set up.
Just changing the stock air filter on the left side of the bike does not make the bike louder.
Thanks redjay. I thought the whole compartment between cylinders was for the air filter. So the Roaring Toyz functions as both the filter and the intake, and using it means no more using the stock filter?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-19-2018, 05:58 AM   #591
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toku57 View Post
...........Also, what slip-ons does he sell?
V&H, and Cobra. He said he prefers V&H sound. Said either works well with the reflash.

He will talk with you on any question. Nice guy.

Patriot Guard Riders
Sons Of Liberty Riders Alabama Road Captain
2015 Voyager
2003 1500 NOMAD FI sold 6/19
VBA #2993
RUSSELL DAYLONG SEATS ROCK!!
DAMMIT TOOL:
Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs

There is no substitute for laminar flow in which a helmet is the primary disturbance.

SO MANY ROADS,
SO LITTLE TIME.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #592
Top Contributor

Quote:
Thanks Chuck - good to know. I'm confused about air filter vs. air intake. Is air intake considered a separate modification changing air flow?

Also, what slip-ons does he sell?
The air filter is on the left side of the bike as you sit on it. You can leave it with a stock filter or change the stock filter for a K&N. The K&N replaces the stock filter in the stock filter position.

An aftermarket air kit is completely different. It goes on the right side of the machine and usually involves removing the cross over tube between the cylinders and the engine draws air only from the right side making the stock air filter box on the left side of the machine obsolete.

I don't know what exhaust systems Ivan sells. I sold my Voyager before the ECU flash was available. I now have a 1300 Yamaha V Star with Ivans flash, a Cobra Powrflo intake and a Cobra slip on muffler. Very pleased with the results.

Old 02-19-2018, 12:20 PM   #593
Top Contributor

Quote:
Thanks redjay. I thought the whole compartment between cylinders was for the air filter. So the Roaring Toyz functions as both the filter and the intake, and using it means no more using the stock filter?

The stock air box on the left side of the bike (as you sit on it) contains the stock air filter. The filter does not fill the whole compartment between the cylinders. Take the cover off the left hand side and take a look and you will understand.

The Roaring Toyz air intake kit contains the intake assembly and a round K&N filter. Be aware that with any aftermarket air intake kit (BAK) you will get more intake noise and some people don't like that. I learned to live with it and did not mind it.

Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #594

Quote:
The stock air box on the left side of the bike (as you sit on it) contains the stock air filter. The filter does not fill the whole compartment between the cylinders. Take the cover off the left hand side and take a look and you will understand.

The Roaring Toyz air intake kit contains the intake assembly and a round K&N filter. Be aware that with any aftermarket air intake kit (BAK) you will get more intake noise and some people don't like that. I learned to live with it and did not mind it.
rj - thanks for clarifying. The aftermarket kits seem to protrude significantly more. Do they ever hit your leg, or present an issue when getting on the bike?

Old 02-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #595
Top Contributor

If you get Chucksters kit that uses the stock cover it does not stick out any further than the stock set up. I don't know about other brands.
No issues hitting a leg or getting on an off.

Old 02-21-2018, 02:05 PM   #596

Quote:
If you get Chucksters kit that uses the stock cover it does not stick out any further than the stock set up. I don't know about other brands.
No issues hitting a leg or getting on an off.
Good to know the Chucksters kit will allow use of a BAK with the stock covers. I really like the look of them, so would prefer to keep them. Do the stock covers reduce the noise of a BAK any?

Old 02-21-2018, 02:40 PM   #597

Quote:
Good to know the Chucksters kit will allow use of a BAK with the stock covers. I really like the look of them, so would prefer to keep them. Do the stock covers reduce the noise of a BAK any?
Not really.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 02-25-2018, 10:45 AM   #598

I had a Thunder stock air kit on my 2012 Voyager for a couple years, ended up going back to stock with a K&N filter due to the noise it made. If you have aftermarket pipes, you probably wont notice it as much, but I have stock pipes with baffles drilled out, but cats still intact. with the air kit, it was like opening the 4 barrel carb on an older Chevy every time it was under a load, noise wise.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #599

Thinking about getting my bike flashed by Ivan but have 114,000 true miles on it now and just do not know if I should go ahead and do it. bike is a 2010 Nomad and I like the bike as it is set up the way I want it. Has new belt and pulleys and swing arm bearings and a lot of other stuff replaced while Laverne Kawasaki was doing the work on it for me (They do great work) at about 90,000 miles so will last another 100,000 miles just hate to get it done and then decide to get a new bike. Anyway better make up my mind as only have 30 to 45 days till I can start riding. last year could not ride for 7 full weeks because of health so am ready to get going this year. will need to find out for sure how to get the ECU out I think it just unplugs after battery is disconnected. When bike was new there was a recall on it. Let me know what you would do.

Ray
Minnesota
2010-1700-Nomad
VBA#01525

Old 02-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #600
Top Contributor

If you plan on keeping the bike then I would say get Ivans flash.