Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > General > Off-Topic

Old 03-25-2014, 12:00 AM   #31
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glwilson View Post

Didn't know if you would catch the dig...
I got smarts real good, Greg.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #32
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=glwilson;563245]Since I own one I can add some info after this post that hopefully will be of help; and I will send you some information via PM.

I appreciate any info. Looking forward to it actually. I'm not totally against them so don't get me wrong please. I just don see the attraction from my point of view. I'm one that couldn't get comfortable on it. And believe me I tried. I didn't just ram it down the road and then just jump off the thing and say its junk. It had a lot of positive aspects to it. Also I realize they are still new and they will certainly improve on them as time goes on.

I even found nyself shopping around today trying to find him the perfect one. Just don't want him to regret his purchase as he is 65 yrs. Old and says this will be the last bike he will ever purchase. He has done nothing but express his desire for a new goldwing for the 5 years or so until just very recently. There will be no reversing this purchase on his fixed income so your opinion and guidance on this matter is with much gratitude. That is why I started this thread in first place. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #33

Here is a thread I maintain for Spyderlovers.com on the Spyders. The original post is long, and in constant change as new information is added along the way. It includes various information on how to operate Spyders. Make sure you read through it to get an idea of what Spyders are like. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners
  • There are sport models and the touring model of Spyders. RTS is the touring. Being 65, he will want the RTS.
  • Do not buy a 2013. There simply are too many problems with them to deal with, and too many to mention.,
  • 2011's and 12's RTS seem to be fine. I own a 2011.
  • If you get a 2011, make sure the throttle-body was replaced on warranty. There was a problem with them, until replaced. Mine was and haven't had any problems since.
  • These machines do NOT ride or feel like a motorcycle. They are more like an ATV or snowmobile; which have more lateral movement than a two-wheel.
  • Corners require more work on a Spyder, since it does not lean. Steering is power-assisted.
  • Spyders are quirky machines -- no doubt. They require being operated correctly, and maintained. If your father cannot do some of his own basic work (to a degree) it will then require a certified technician -- since the machine is entirely computer operated, thus leaving few mechanical things to work on besides the very basics. Visits to a dealer are a requirement for Spyders, if for no other reason, to update the computer system regularly.
  • Shop time is not cheap for these things, thus if having extra money to maintain a Spyder is problem, then I would not consider buying one.
  • The 2014 RTS 1330 engine and 6-speed transmission seems to appeal to more people because of its lower-end torque, and lower rpm power band. All other years and models use the 900 series engine which requires operating at much higher rpm's. I do not shift out of first gear until around 5,000 rpm's if that gives you an idea. It is not problem to me, and I think the engine is great. It just needs to be operated as it was designed -- not as people think it should be. Doing so otherwise can cause problems down the road -- literally.
  • There are aftermarket items to buy that help with added performance; such as sway-bars and shocks. Many buy them to improve the ride. Mine remains stock.
All in all, I like my Spyder; however I would never want anyone to walk blindly into buying one. As mentioned, they are quirky, and overall expensive to buy and maintain -- unlike most other bikes.

Good luck!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Last edited by glwilson; 03-25-2014 at 07:41 AM.

Old 03-25-2014, 08:22 AM   #34

Gilson thanks for posting all this info & the link. I'm not in the market for a spyder but I enjoyed reading about them.
Bob
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 03-25-2014, 11:08 AM   #35
Advanced Member

Thanks very much kind sir. I will tell him what you have told me and hopefully this will help with his decision. Not knowing anything about these machines our selves. We can only gain knowledge and experience about them through your eyes and others like you who willing to to take the valuable time from your life too hopefully improve upon ours.

Much appreciated. Doug

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 03-25-2014, 11:54 PM   #36
Sr. Contributor

One too many wheels
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11