Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 07-19-2009, 02:21 AM   #46

Send a message via Skype™ to ken
Helmets - Yes or No.

@ David A. Homoney (and others),
Some may say I am taking the coward’s way out but I’m going to apologize to David (and others) for turning this thread into a political discussion. I was wrong to do that because of the old golden rule that three discussion items are forbidden between friends – women, religious and politics.
This does not mean that I agree with David but he is entitled to his opinion as I am mine. His statics are good but incomplete, but let’s leave it there.
So David, ride without your helmet but just be damn careful. I, among others, don’t want to lose you. Be good and be safe - Ken

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-19-2009, 06:36 AM   #47

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballast
When I went down a year ago June I remember quite vividly the sound of my helmet going through the gravel. It was scratched from just outside my left eye around to the ear. No helmet or half helmet and I'd be a lot uglier than I am.
I hear ya. . . Fiberglass vs concrete makes an ugly sound :-/

I know, I know; a head like this OUGHT to hurt But it saves me the cost of a halloween mask. ;)

Old 07-19-2009, 08:40 AM   #48

Helmets - Yes or No.

That's a bad bruise on your lid Larry. You would have lost quite a bit of hide and maybe some bone without it. The dates are different on the pictures. The one on the helmet must be the default when the batteries are removed??

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 07-19-2009, 09:49 AM   #49

Helmets - Yes or No.

Yeah Mitch I was certainly fortunate that day. Takes a good hit to bruise a brain inside a thick skull like mine.

I forget to check the date and reset it after battery changes. Borrowed the camera from Sarah. The head shot is a "day after pic" and has the correct date.
I thought about editing the picture to carve off the date before posting, but decided it wasnt worth the trouble.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:34 PM   #50
Advanced Member

Send a message via AIM to dhomoney Send a message via Yahoo to dhomoney
Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
@ David A. Homoney (and others),
Some may say I am taking the coward’s way out but I’m going to apologize to David (and others) for turning this thread into a political discussion. I was wrong to do that because of the old golden rule that three discussion items are forbidden between friends – women, religious and politics.
This does not mean that I agree with David but he is entitled to his opinion as I am mine. His statics are good but incomplete, but let’s leave it there.
So David, ride without your helmet but just be damn careful. I, among others, don’t want to lose you. Be good and be safe - Ken
I don't abide by those rules Ken, I'm just a pugnacious rabble rouser and can't help myself. Absolutely no ill will from me to you my friend. I do enjoy and love a spirited debate about things, this no different. I will be sure to take as much care as I can and will continue to ride with and without as I ride both ways. I hope you take care out there in beautiful Deutschland, I enjoyed my time in that country quite a bit and hope to get back there soon.

Dave

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-19-2009, 06:55 PM   #51

Helmets - Yes or No.

Yesterday while out on a ride there were some cars approaching me from the other direction when all of a sudden I felt a hard hit on my forehead. I wear a half helmet, and a rock was kicked up by a car tire and nailed me just below the rim of my helmet, and left a small cut, its still sore today. This is one of those times when a full face helmet would have saved that from happening.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 07-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #52

Helmets - Yes or No.

I wear one 100% of the time. When I was a kid I rode into North Dakota that had no laws, and rode without, but at 17, I was invincible.....kids, wife, job, and other responsibilities make me want to be around a bit longer.

I hate the fact they are legislated, but the reality is that the so many accidents can be much less serious with one.
2007 Honda ST1300 (sold)
2005 Kawasaki Nomad (sold)
2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (sold)
http://www.strobel.ws
VBA #01021
VROC #29389

Old 07-20-2009, 04:51 AM   #53

Send a message via Skype™ to ken
Helmets - Yes or No.

Well, this will be my last post on this thread, but I am pleased to know that most of the comments tell me that wearing a helmet is pretty much the accepted thing to do, required or not. I accept the idea that no one likes being told what to do or the heat makes wearing a helmet pretty miserable, but we only get one head and it needs to be protected.

Ken

Old 07-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #54

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strobe
. . . at 17, I was invincible.....kids, wife, job, and other responsibilities make me want to be around a bit longer.
Most of us see things from a different perspective as we <s>grow up</s> <s>mature</s> survive more birthdays or as I like to say:
"fear and common sense eventually overcome youthful exuberance"

Old 07-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #55

Send a message via MSN to namvet
Helmets - Yes or No.

What ever is suppose to happen to you has already been determined by someone or something way beyond our control. Now, keeping that in mind and ruling out stupidity on our part, and I mean real stupidity, such as driving off a cliff and thinking your gonna sprout wings before hitting bottom. I prefer to ride without a helmet. Always have and always will. I go out of my way to avoid at all cost any state that tells me I have to wear one. I know of all the safety factors as to why I should wear one, but it just isn't the same for me. I also ride late at night, early dusk thru deer country without a second thought. I also ride at 65 mph in driving rain storms, cursing the 4 wheelers for getting in my way because they can't see to drive. Now these may be my last words, if so then my ticket was punched and my time here has expired....I look forward to having a good run the next time around.

Old 07-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #56

Helmets - Yes or No.

I live in SD which may be one of the most pro-biker anti-helmet law states in the union. Of course Sturgis has a lot to do with that. When I started riding noone even owned a helmet. They were ugly, uncomfortable, and expensive. So I rode for years without. I moved in with a friend that had some crazy fast sportbikes and learned to appreciate a helmet and even bought one. Still didn't wear it on my cruiser though. Hated the full face in summer, too hot. Now as helmet technology has advanced they can put comfort and safety together. I don't mind wearing so much and try too as often as I can remember. (something about old dogs and new tricks right?) I now have a full face and a half. Figure better than nothing right? its a hard habit to learn, it was easier to give up cigarettes. I like the feel of the wind. I enjoy it even more now that I am bald.
Honestly I would not revolt if they passed a helmet law because I find nothing wrong with half helmets other than a little sweating when its hot. But I ain't gonna go starting one. I think if you are old enough to choose to go off to war you are damn sure mature enought to decide on wether or not to protect your own squash.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #57

Helmets - Yes or No.

+ 1 for Ells

Old 07-26-2009, 08:04 PM   #58

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken
Just the other day some idiot kid on a crotchrocket, along with his girlfriend, went flying down the autobahn at probably 100-110 MPH, tennis shoes, shorts and t-shirts. Ahhh, the exuberence of youth. Ciao - Ken
They haven't invented a helmet or apparel that would save anyone from a crash at 100+ MPH... so to some degree... the kids are in no less danger in shorts and tennis shoes.

Okay... I know... bike racers have the equipment... but you know what I am saying.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #59

Helmets - Yes or No.

One of the reasons helmets are mandated is to help prevent someone from becoming a vegetable whereby they end up on the tax-rolls to keep the vegetable "fresh".

In other words... if you end up causing more damage to your self than your insurance covers, then you are supported by taxpayers -- who pay your medical bills; or possibly keep you on life support for who knows how long.

If it keeps me from paying more taxes... then I am for it.

If you really want a free country and not wear a helmet... then sign a DNR card so taxpayers don't have to pay hard cash for your freedom to not wear a helmet -- or allow for a law that states you will not be a "ward of the state" due to your choice to not wear a helmet.

If that happens then you'll not hear me bitch.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 07-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #60
Mega-Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Just playing devil's advocate here, GL - but wearing a helmet and suffering a serious injury could easily land you in the vegetable garden when not wearing a helmet might have meant an instantaneous death. I'd vote for the latter, personally.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17