Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 11-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #166

Helmets - Yes or No.

Though many unforeseen situations, I choose when to wear one. Bad weather, going overnight somewhere or going on roads I'm not familiar with means I wear a helmet.

I've gone down when I lived in NYC years ago by hitting a pot hole deep enough to swallow the front wheel and catapult me across an intersection. Landed on my head and shoulder. Broke my collar bone, rash cuts etc. Had a full face helmet on and the slide ripped out the shield.

I'd never ride in NY without a helmet. In RI and eastern CT there are many times I don't wear one.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #167
Sr. Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny
In Australia it's mandatory in all states to wear a helmet, if it wasn;t I would still wear one.
The stupid thing is that I could ride in nothing but my underwear as long as I have a helmet on my head, all safety gear on M/C's should be mandatory at all times in my opinion.
Cheers
Greeny
Don't say that to loud, some idiot will want to start that here.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #168

Helmets - Yes or No.

Been thinking on how did we become a country worrying about what someone else does to the point of even considering laws on what someone else does that does not effect me?

If a guy wants to or doesnt want to wear a helmet is really none of anyone elses buisness as long as they arent forcing their choice on you.

This goes for a whole lot of other subject matters also...... if it aint your cup of tea.... dont do it but dont force the tea drinkers to stop drinking tea cause you dont like tea so to speak.

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
1946 George Orwell

Old 11-19-2010, 04:39 PM   #169

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NriderUSA
Been thinking on how did we become a country worrying about what someone else does to the point of even considering laws on what someone else does that does not effect me?

If a guy wants to or doesnt want to wear a helmet is really none of anyone elses buisness as long as they arent forcing their choice on you.

This goes for a whole lot of other subject matters also...... if it aint your cup of tea.... dont do it but dont force the tea drinkers to stop drinking tea cause you dont like tea so to speak.
What I'm about to say is mentioned on this thread:

We all pay for it directly or indirectly. So I'm in favor of use of safety gear and its regulation.

My tax dollars fund the hospitals and medical staff. I am happy to contribute to that fund if a fellow rider is hurt and treated in my local hospital. If somebody smashes his head because he rode without a helmet, yes it's his choice but our money.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:49 PM   #170
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny
.......... I could ride in nothing but my underwear as long as I have a helmet on my head, ..................
Cheers
Greeny

<marquee> </marquee>

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-23-2010, 10:11 AM   #171

Helmets - Yes or No.

I believe that the government is attempting to enact motorcycle helmet wearing mandatory due to pressure from the insurance industry.

That being said, I always wear a helmet, always have. It just makes sense. How much do you value your head. However, wearing any safety gear should be the rider's choice, not the government's. But one thing I don't quite understand: what does age or being a passenger have to do with mandatory helmet laws? Is an adult less valuable than a minor? In Alaska, a rider over 18 doesn't have to wear a helmet, but anyone under 18 must, as does a passenger of any age. Seems to me that the rider should be wearing a helmet, especially if he or she has a passenger. The passenger has no control, and if the rider get, say hit on the head by a rock or other object, a helmet might just save the day, but a do-rag or ball cap offers no protection at all. I guess both should be wearing one.

But it's a choice to be made on a personal level. Except in states that have mandatory helmet laws. It's always a touchy subject, I guess. I just feel it's smart to wear proper protective riding gear. If one has a family, children, etc., a job where he or she is depended on as a valued employee, it seems to me that there is a responsibility to keep oneself a safe as possible for their sakes.
And then there's that insurance thing and skyrocketing medical costs, thanks to uninsured individuals who drive the cost ever upwards. Just food for thought.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:18 PM   #172

Helmets - Yes or No.

Unfortunatley we have entered into an era of "If they didnt or did" something wouldnt cost so much, this being the only raltionalization that can be used to tell others what they can and cant do.......
The sad part is the same people who actually believe that if everyone wore a helmet in this case would save costs really believe that their cost would go down.
Unfortunatley as we have seen with the seat belt maditory laws and air bag mandatory... doesnt look like insurance has been reduced in that area either.

So my take..whether its smart or not, whether you would or wouldnt... its a freedom of choice we "used" to have ...... so dont try and blow the it saves money line cause it doesnt.

1946 George Orwell

Old 12-14-2010, 12:52 AM   #173

Helmets - Yes or No.

yes...

Slots
2006 Black Nomad
VBA #342
VROC #5921

"The path of excess leads to the tower of wisdom." -- William Blake

Old 12-16-2010, 05:16 AM   #174
Advanced Member

Helmets - Yes or No.

here in australia its compolsary to wear a helmet, no matter what... i wear a 3/4 helmet all year round an in 100deg+ temps and have no issues at all.

there are thoughts in parliament to take the laws further to make transport insurance payouts less according to how little protective gear you have on...

Old 12-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #175
Sr. Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcow
here in australia its compolsary to wear a helmet, no matter what... i wear a 3/4 helmet all year round an in 100deg+ temps and have no issues at all.

there are thoughts in parliament to take the laws further to make transport insurance payouts less according to how little protective gear you have on...
I wear proper gear 90% of the time. But when it is hot the chaps and jacket will probably come off. I wear a helmet all the time.
I just don't want to be told to. If they are going to pay according to what you have on, then that is telling you what to do. And I don't agree with that.

Old 01-08-2011, 12:12 AM   #176

Helmets - Yes or No.

I've been riding since I'm a kid, in New York helmets were mandatory. Every chance I got I whipped off the helmet and rode with the wind in my hair, (some of which is no longer there). Anyway I'm retired now and living in SC, no helmets. When I'm riding the Nomad it fools you,it feels solid, it protects you from the wind, it makes you invincible. Well I'm just sayin just come here and try to put a helmet on my head and I'll,,, Oh wait a minute my wife just came to the porch, What Honey! Yes dear I must have forgotten to put it on baby!, of course I'm gonna wear it sweat heart, Goodbye! Where was I , Oh yea sometimes I wear my helmet,Sometimes, Yes Dear I'm going now ,Bye shnuchums!!! As you can see I'm the Boss! Yea! Thats the Ticket!

Old 01-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #177
Sr. Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe3407nomad
I've been riding since I'm a kid, in New York helmets were mandatory. Every chance I got I whipped off the helmet and rode with the wind in my hair, (some of which is no longer there). Anyway I'm retired now and living in SC, no helmets. When I'm riding the Nomad it fools you,it feels solid, it protects you from the wind, it makes you invincible. Well I'm just sayin just come here and try to put a helmet on my head and I'll,,, Oh wait a minute my wife just came to the porch, What Honey! Yes dear I must have forgotten to put it on baby!, of course I'm gonna wear it sweat heart, Goodbye! Where was I , Oh yea sometimes I wear my helmet,Sometimes, Yes Dear I'm going now ,Bye shnuchums!!! As you can see I'm the Boss! Yea! Thats the Ticket!
I'm not a fan of someone telling me what to do.

When I first started riding here in Vermont, there wasn't many laws for MC's, no helmet law. After my first two years they passed a law that had multiple requirements, including helmets. [Yes I was the one that strapped the helmet to my knee and said I'm wearing a helmet.]
Crashing at 17 without a helmet or any gear, HURTS. Road rash from here to there and back.
Crashing at 50 with all the protective gear on that I own, hurt, two broken ribs. Not one scratch or bruise. There were scrapes and gouges in my boots, chaps, jacket, gloves and helmet, [from the chin past the top of my head].
My wife and children want me to be safe, but no more than me. ;)
No, I don't like being told what to do. But I have learned to respect the sport of motorcycling, and its dangers. Thanks...

Old 01-08-2011, 09:41 AM   #178
Sr. Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Something to think about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
A friend decided to not wear his helmet, because he was only going 5-6 miles, 2 1/2 of it on I-89 in N.H. People at the scene said he came off the Interstate to fast and didn't get half way around the exit ramp. He did a high side. Don't know if a helmet would have helped. His was in the saddlebag. But he did leave a wife and daughter behind. He died at the scene. Who would you leave behind?

Old 01-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #179

Helmets - Yes or No.

I guess if your fear is you might die without a helmet.... you could enclose your bike in a metal cage and include airbags and..... oh never mind that would be a car.

It still should be a choice, not someone elses rationalization of why their opinion should be yours too.

1946 George Orwell

Old 01-08-2011, 03:26 PM   #180
Sr. Contributor

Helmets - Yes or No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NriderUSA
I guess if your fear is you might die without a helmet.... you could enclose your bike in a metal cage and include airbags and..... oh never mind that would be a car.

It still should be a choice, not someone elses rationalization of why their opinion should be yours too.
You are 100% correct.