Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #1

Coolant

I figured I'd changed coolant on my 2011 Nomad 1700 bought 2 yrs. ago. I was told Engine Ice is an improvement vs. the green colored one the dealer uses. Twice already as I was pulling into my driveway after cruising for about an hour, the red light on my dash board came on with the temperature symbol showing. My reservoir still shows coolant within the full level. When I was doing the coolant change I couldn't fully lift the gas tank so I used a siphon to fill up the radiator. I see no leaks and made sure the reservoir is in the full level. Is this normal or something I should be worried about? Any inputs will be appreciated.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-23-2016, 06:24 PM   #2

Just guessing but sounds like an air pocket in the system.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 05-24-2016, 06:54 AM   #3
Advanced Member

Definitely not normal. Remove the fuel tank so you can properly fill the cooling system and ensure the rad cap is correctly installed.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 05-24-2016, 01:36 PM   #4
Advanced Member

I filled my Vaquero cooling system with CycleLogic "engine ice"...great product. Getting the Ivan ecu flash will significantly reduce engine running temps and with the engine ice in the system, better still. One thing that is really important as mentioned doing a coolant swap is the removal of the fuel tank. And before you add in the new coolant, you will need to flush out the system thoroughly with distilled water a couple of times to get the old coolant totally out an you will know this when the water coming out of the bottom hose is completely clear. You must also remove and clean the spare coolant tank before filling it with the new coolant as well. With the tank off you can also see accurately the amount of coolant going into the system to the top of the fill neck. At this point after filling, you must squeeze the top radiator hose a few times to make sure any air bubbles come up and are completely gone. VERY IMPORTANT! At this point you may now place the cap making sure it is screwed on tightly and fully. One nice thing about Ivan's ecu tune is it makes the cooling fan come on at a lower temperature on hot days. So...Ivan ecu tune....engine ice coolant= cooler running smoother motor and much more.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.