Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 05-23-2016, 01:35 PM   #1

Looking for advice on upgrades

Good afternoon all,
I recently purchased my 2011 Vaquero and after joining the forum I've decided I'm going to put V&H slip ons on, some version of an air cleaner and have an Ivan's ECU flash done. Is there an order in which these should be done? I'm not certain I'll be able to afford all of them at once. Also, is there a preferred aftermarket windshield amongst the group?

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum

I would do the ECU first so when you do the pipes and air cleaner upgrades you wont worry about it running too lean or rich. Second I would do the pipes and last the air cleaner.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 05-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice_bike_76 View Post
Good afternoon all,
I recently purchased my 2011 Vaquero and after joining the forum I've decided I'm going to put V&H slip ons on, some version of an air cleaner and have an Ivan's ECU flash done. Is there an order in which these should be done? I'm not certain I'll be able to afford all of them at once. Also, is there a preferred aftermarket windshield amongst the group?
I have a 2014 Vaquero and I could have done them all at the same time but decided to get the throttle mod 1st. Rode it a few days to see the improvement then got the Ivanized ECU, rode the bike for one or two weeks so I could get a good feel for what the improvements/changes in performance were and then I added Vance and Hines Slip-ons. Now I trying to decide on a BAK. I'm thinking of either a Chuckster's or Thunder kit.

I also added a Windvest 8 " dark smoked flip up wind screen. I like it and keeps most the air off of me. I was considering a Klock Werks because of the look but I read a lot of reviews that we not too favorable.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Grasshopper Backrest
8" Windvest windshield

Old 05-23-2016, 02:07 PM   #4

Thank you both. That's the order I was leaning towards. The search function for the page isn't working on my phone. What is the throttle mod? I've heard good things about Wind Vests.

Old 05-23-2016, 02:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Thank you both. That's the order I was leaning towards. The search function for the page isn't working on my phone. What is the throttle mod? I've heard good things about Wind Vests.
Here is a link

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=23979

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Grasshopper Backrest
8" Windvest windshield

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-23-2016, 06:01 PM   #6
Top Contributor

The throttle mod is a quick action throttle, more throttle opening for less twist of the throttle.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:14 PM   #7

Seemed to me throttle response is addressed in the Ivanized ECU?

Old 05-23-2016, 08:44 PM   #8

Throttle Synergy

Quote:
Seemed to me throttle response is addressed in the Ivanized ECU?
I could be wrong but even though Ivan's flash greatly improves throttle response, by adding the throttle mod it would mean less twisting for more immediate response. I have not done a comparison because Ivan's flash was installed after I added the throttle mod. The one I have was purchased off of eBay because I wanted to keep the stock grips. Here is a link .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281915506360...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Grasshopper Backrest
8" Windvest windshield

Old 05-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #9

Ok. Thank you for the link and other info

Old 05-23-2016, 11:15 PM   #10
Advanced Member

So Ivan doesn't do tunes based on which exhaust or intake you choose, or leave it stock?

On size fits all tune?

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 05-24-2016, 08:35 AM   #11

I haven't contacted Ivan yet but that is my limited understanding of it. Seems to me that pipes and intake enhance what he does to the ECU. I could very easily be wrong. I'm new to this!

Old 05-24-2016, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
So Ivan doesn't do tunes based on which exhaust or intake you choose, or leave it stock?

On size fits all tune?
That is correct. When you fill out his paperwork he asks what mods you have. The only difference is he adds more fuel with some BAK otherwise some people have had some detonation. If anyone is going to do the big 3 I would have the richer map installed so there won't be any problems down the road. The fuel is added from 60%-100% throttle.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 05-24-2016, 09:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Good afternoon all,
As others have mentioned include the throttle mod in ur things to do. If you have stock grips on ur skoot and wish to upgrade I stock Kuryakyn ISO and Avon Air Cushion grips which are much more comfortable than the stock grips and come modified with full instructions.

If u have any questions about the 2 different brands of grips or want to place an order feel free to call my shop 954-455-9665.

I put 100,000 miles on my 2011 Vaquero so you got urself a proven skoot!

RACNRAY

Old 05-24-2016, 09:35 AM   #14

Wow! That's good to hear, Ray. Mines got under 5k on her and being in MN, it'll take me awhile to hit 100k! Do you have a website I could take a look at, Ray?
Thanks to all for the advice.

Old 05-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #15

I went with the Windvest windshield in a 10 inch height ( #63-1040 10 Inch Shield Dk Smoke). I have had it about a year now and I am glad I went 10 inch rather than 8 inch. I like to ride with an open helmet and this puts the wind right at my hairline(or where i used to have a hairline). It also helps if there is rain.

I happened to mention this forum when ordering and received a 10% discount.

As to your question of upgrade order, I have just shipped my ECU off to Ivan for a flash. I am going to hold off on the other items based on past experience. I had a 1500 Nomad where I did pipes, air kit and fuel tuner. I ended up with more noise and less fuel economy. The sound was very good, the fuel economy loss was due to my desire hear that sound. That may not happen to you.

Tags
air cleaner, ecu flash, slip-ons