Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-24-2016, 05:46 PM   #1

Thumbs Up I am finally happy with my new bike thanks to racnray

ok, so a while back i started a thread about me not being happy with my 2015 vaquero.and yes i took alot of flak for this.since then i enlisted the help of the famous racnray.all i can say is the man knows motorcycles and was able to get me and my bike straightened out.and most of all he is nice guy, i would not hesitate to recommend his shop thanks again ray

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-24-2016, 06:17 PM   #2

THANX MARK....I have little motorcycles running in my veins so talkin bout bikes, especially helping someone work the kinks and bugs out just adds to the rewards I have received.
Enjoy your skoot!!!
THANX AGAIN and I'll come over to cya when I get my new skoot.

RACNRAY

Old 05-24-2016, 06:38 PM   #3

What did you have done by Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc View Post
ok, so a while back i started a thread about me not being happy with my 2015 vaquero.and yes i took alot of flak for this.since then i enlisted the help of the famous racnray.all i can say is the man knows motorcycles and was able to get me and my bike straightened out.and most of all he is nice guy, i would not hesitate to recommend his shop thanks again ray
What things did Ray do to your bike? I have only been on this forum for about 3 months but it didn't take me very long to figure out that I should spend a lot of time reading Ray's posts. Glad to hear you are happy with it now.
Grasshopper Backrest
8" Windvest windshield

Old 05-24-2016, 07:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by markc View Post
Glad to see you are happy!
2002 Honda 750 A.C.E. (gone)
SCRC 2nd Officer Central Jersey Chapter

Old 05-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #5

If you haven't had Ivan re-flash your ECU then that's the next step I would do. The cheapest and best way to wake up these 1700's and have better gas mileage.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-25-2016, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
If you haven't had Ivan re-flash your ECU then that's the next step I would do. The cheapest and best way to wake up these 1700's and have better gas mileage.
Curious if this voids any warranty on the bike

Old 05-25-2016, 12:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADTIME View Post
Curious if this voids any warranty on the bike
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus...s_Warranty_Act

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act will cover you unless the re-flash actually caused a problem. If my radio fails and the ECU was not the cause I would be covered. That would be the same for any part on the bike.

That being said, you could have a failure because of the re-flash but I highly doubt that would happen. Checkout Ivan's background and reputation and you will see that he is very knowledgeable in this area and he does actually buy the bike to do all the testing on as he is developing his product.

In one of the threads Ivan does address this issue.
http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...6&postcount=64

I was also very concerned about this at first since my bike was new with a 6 year warranty. After reading all the threads here and on other Kawasaki forums and looking into the Magnuson Moss Act I decided not to worry about an unlikely problem and just have it done. I was very glad that I did it and would never go back. Here in California we may start having annual inspections. If that does happen I would purchase a new ECU for the bike and install that for the inspection only and go back to the re-flash after.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 05-25-2016, 03:09 PM   #8

I don't know what detail your annual inspections might cover... Down here we've had either 6-monthly or annual inspections of all vehicles depending on their age since forever. A modified ECU would never ever be discovered during that inspection. There just wouldn't be enough inspection stations to be able to spend that amount of time on each vehicle.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 05-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act will cover you unless the re-flash actually caused a problem. If my radio fails and the ECU was not the cause I would be covered. That would be the same for any part on the bike.

That being said, you could have a failure because of the re-flash but I highly doubt that would happen. Checkout Ivan's background and reputation and you will see that he is very knowledgeable in this area and he does actually buy the bike to do all the testing on as he is developing his product.

I was also very concerned about this at first since my bike was new with a 6 year warranty. After reading all the threads here and on other Kawasaki forums and looking into the Magnuson Moss Act I decided not to worry about an unlikely problem and just have it done. I was very glad that I did it and would never go back. Here in California we may start having annual inspections. If that does happen I would purchase a new ECU for the bike and install that for the inspection only and go back to the re-flash after.
I had the same worry with a still 5 year warranty. My other worry was (is) this: does the dealer have the right to plug my 02 sensor back in without my express permission? I mean a PCV is basically for off road, right? I haven't heard of anyone having this done to them either. Just wondering.
2002 Honda 750 A.C.E. (gone)
SCRC 2nd Officer Central Jersey Chapter

Old 05-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
I don't know what detail your annual inspections might cover... Down here we've had either 6-monthly or annual inspections of all vehicles depending on their age since forever. A modified ECU would never ever be discovered during that inspection. There just wouldn't be enough inspection stations to be able to spend that amount of time on each vehicle.
Here in California they would most likely check to make sure that the 02 sensor is plugged in and that is not possible with the re-flash.

It may never happen with inspections so most likely not an issue any way.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 05-26-2016, 07:41 AM   #11

Excellent news MarkC! Glad you and your scoot are on the same page! Thanks Ray for helping him out!

We are going to miss you around here!

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 05-26-2016, 09:25 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by randog View Post
What things did Ray do to your bike? I have only been on this forum for about 3 months but it didn't take me very long to figure out that I should spend a lot of time reading Ray's posts. Glad to hear you are happy with it now.
I lent an ear to his concerns and discussed his options over the fone which he followed up on.

Quote:
One of the mods I suggested along with getting his shocks set up better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Excellent news MarkC! Glad you and your scoot are on the same page! Thanks Ray for helping him out!

We are going to miss you around here!

Ride safe,
Smokier
It's always my pleasure to help out, and I am always humbled when the results are positive.

I'll still be around...oops, you guys have been forewarned!!!!! :)

RACNRAY

Old 06-01-2016, 08:16 PM   #13

Glad to hear you are happy with it now with Rays help
VROC#34321
VBA#01867

2012 NCR Rally Savanna. IL.
2013 National Rally Estes Park, CO
2014 NC/SC Rally in the Ozarks, Mountain View AR
2014 NE US/Eastern Canada Rally,Lincoln NH
2015 VBA/VRA Eureka Springs AR
2015 Antlers Rally, Antlers OK.
2016 SCR Rally Salem MO.
2016 NCR Rally Hillsboro WI
2017 Eureka Springs AR
2017 National Rally Lake George NY
2004 Blue and Silver 1500 Nomad(RIP 9-26-19)
2000 Red and Silver 1500 Nomad
2012 Pearl White 1700 Voyager

Old 06-02-2016, 10:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
I lent an ear to his concerns and discussed his options over the fone which he followed up on.

One of the mods I suggested along with getting his shocks set up better.

It's always my pleasure to help out, and I am always humbled when the results are positive.

I'll still be around...oops, you guys have been forewarned!!!!! :)

RACNRAY
What did you suggest he do to get his shocks set up better? I was really surprised yesterday while riding down a familiar road and was getting bounced out of my seat over expansion joints only to discover that I had forgotten to set my rebound damping back to II from III after having my wife on the back. I didn't realize how much of a difference that small setting could make. I'd like to improve the front suspension at some point. It doesn't seem as well controlled as the back. I have no idea how to go about it though.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #15

Quote:

I read through the Wikipedia article and I'm missing where it says only something going wrong caused by a modification would not be covered under a warranty. Can you point out where that is stated?