Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 06-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
I read through the Wikipedia article and I'm missing where it says only something going wrong caused by a modification would not be covered under a warranty. Can you point out where that is stated?
Well I never have read the act but was told that by others. Ultimately it will be you that has to decide if you want to do this and possibly fight a warranty claim down the road.

I had two HD Ultra Classics that both had extended warranties and they both had stage 1 changes that did include the re-flash of the ECU. Both bikes had many warranty claims over the years and I never had any problems.

I don't know how Kawasaki handles their claims as I have never had one yet but I have decided to take the chance and enjoy the bike with the re-flashed ECU over limping down the road and fighting the stock setup.

I would think that if this were going to be an issue with Kawasaki that they would already be fighting any claim that had a race tuner and other mods that changed the fuel mixture from the stock setup.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-02-2016, 10:53 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryd View Post
What did you suggest he do to get his shocks set up better? I was really surprised yesterday while riding down a familiar road and was getting bounced out of my seat over expansion joints only to discover that I had forgotten to set my rebound damping back to II from III after having my wife on the back. I didn't realize how much of a difference that small setting could make. I'd like to improve the front suspension at some point. It doesn't seem as well controlled as the back. I have no idea how to go about it though.
My Vaq ended up being a kool little Hot rod with all the mods I had made, including better rear shocks and a full front suspension going over.

I upgraded to different rate fork springs and incorporated a Race Tech Gold Valve Emulator. Out of the package the Emulator was too harsh so I spent ALOT of time fine tuning the dampening. All this transformed the front fork and improved it's performance drastically.

Good news (hopefully) for you is as my Vaq is up for sale and most of the goodies that found their way onto the skoot have been removed and are up for sale, including the front fork stuff.

Here's the link to the fork parts I have for sale, if you have any questions it's better to address them by fone so call my shop 954-455-9665 or PM me ur number and good time to call you.

link.. http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=43961

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 06-02-2016 at 10:56 AM.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
Well I never have read the act but was told that by others. Ultimately it will be you that has to decide if you want to do this and possibly fight a warranty claim down the road.

I had two HD Ultra Classics that both had extended warranties and they both had stage 1 changes that did include the re-flash of the ECU. Both bikes had many warranty claims over the years and I never had any problems.

I don't know how Kawasaki handles their claims as I have never had one yet but I have decided to take the chance and enjoy the bike with the re-flashed ECU over limping down the road and fighting the stock setup.

I would think that if this were going to be an issue with Kawasaki that they would already be fighting any claim that had a race tuner and other mods that changed the fuel mixture from the stock setup.
Oh I've already had the ECU flashed and would never go back even if it did void the warranty. I was just curious about the language of the law. The closest thing I can find in the wording that would apply is this.

"Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty.[7] This is commonly referred to as the "tie-in sales" provisions,[8] and is frequently mentioned in the context of third-party computer parts, such as memory and hard drives."

The dealer I bought the bike from did say that Kawasaki doesn't have a problem with aftermarket upgrades as long as they aren't the cause of a problem.

Old 06-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #19

RACNRAY, I might have missed it another post, but what is your new skoot going to be?

Old 06-06-2016, 10:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman77 View Post
RACNRAY, I might have missed it another post, but what is your new skoot going to be?
Indian Chieftain Dark Horse....but somebody's gotta buy my Vaq first!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #21

Ray, the Chieftain DH is nice but for a grand more the silver smoke comes with rear seat ,pegs and hwy bars. Saw one today and it is really nice. May want to take a look.

04 Meanstreak sold
Nomad sold
15 Roadmaster

Old 06-06-2016, 10:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcsteve View Post
Ray, the Chieftain DH is nice but for a grand more the silver smoke comes with rear seat ,pegs and hwy bars. Saw one today and it is really nice. May want to take a look.
NOPE...the silver is $1500 more and does not appeal to me. If I was gonna get a regular Chieftain it would be in the gloss black, but I don't like the gloss black. I rode my Vaq 95% of the time without the hiway bars so I ain't gonna miss them on the D/H.

Plus don't need nor want a passenger seat as I am a solo rider...the ho(s) has to have her/their own skoot if she/they wanna ride with me!

I took a drive to the Indian dealer to see the D/H in person...OH MY FRIGGIN GOD...it is the shit and so much better lookin in person than in the hundreds of pics I have been droolin over! I am in love!!

RACNRAY

Old 06-07-2016, 01:37 AM   #23

I'd expect you already have a list of mods to work through Ray? You took the micrometer down to the dealer when you saw it in person just to get a few settings for the first round of milling?

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 06-08-2016, 03:23 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg View Post
I'd expect you already have a list of mods to work through Ray? You took the micrometer down to the dealer when you saw it in person just to get a few settings for the first round of milling?
LOL.....gonna enjoy the skoot for a while then a dyno session like what I did with the Vaq. These Indians respond well just like the Kawi's but no one over on the Indian forum has a dyno or done the before and after stuff like what I'm planning on doin.

One thing is I don't want it loud and that is where I'll be goin with the first mods, more performance but keepin it mellow.

RACNRAY

Old 06-08-2016, 08:01 AM   #25

Thumbs Up

Looking forward to your experiences with the Chieftain Ray. I am sure it's going to be a grand adventure.

04 Meanstreak sold
Nomad sold
15 Roadmaster