Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-29-2023, 12:37 PM   #1

Loss of electrical power intermittent

Interesting situation. Sorry it's long. 2003 nomad. Just replaced both stators (in another thread). Everything went textbook with one damaged ground wire replaced from both stators to the battery ground cable. All tests good.
While riding the bike may backfire on upshifts and the warning lamps blink at the same time. I can sometimes get it to act up chopping the throttle when I'm accelerating. It is very intermittent and I cannot duplicate it while sitting still. The bike runs like a champ otherwise.
This morning I was playing on the way to work to see if I could isolate it. I lost all electrical power for a good 15 seconds while I coasted down the road. Then it restarted. "ALL" electrical power...lights were dead...dash was dead...bike was dead...like the ignition was shut off.
It acts as though the ignition switch is turned off then back on again rapidly. That accounts for the warning lamps flickering when it acts up on an upshift.
I pulled the left side cover and double checked all of my connections. Removed, cleaned and reassembled the engine ground and all battery connections. Performed some voltage drops to confirm good connections (ac also at stator connections). Everything checks out. I even ran it while I tugged on every harness and connection on the bike. Nothing.
Took it out for a short ride after all that and it is still there. I'm leaning toward a possible ignition switch or main relay concern but it's hard to isolate anything because I have to moving to get it to act up.
I generally go all the way back to where I was but am having a hard time believing anything inside the stator housings could be causing it. Prove me wrong and I'll tear it back apart in a second.
For background before any of the "take it to someone who knows what theyre doing" crowd shows up...I am an ase master tech with 34 years automotive repair experience and teach at a technical college now for the last 10 years.
I'm hoping for a direction from the experience here. If I could get it to act up sitting still I'd be all over it. It's so quick when it happens that I didnt even notice the warning lamps flick on and off until i rode it into work in the dark. Only the periodic backfire.
I also had the tank off and flushed the cooling system when I finished the stators. So there has been a fair amount of water introduced to the electrics. "ive been through all of them and did some wd40 squirting to dry some areas out. It has been several days since the repairs and it has been warm and dry here (sw florida). I've unplugged everything to check connections...etc.
Throw me a lifeline...lol...

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by bladenbullet; 03-29-2023 at 12:40 PM.