Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 06-15-2009, 12:27 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Considering the Caddman kit?

I am considering doing this mod, but I am not very real sure of my abilities in getting this done right.
Also, is there a way to keep the stock dog bowl covers? I don't care too much for the open filter look.

I don't plan to get new pipes, I have stock debaffled pipes.

I will get a tfi and caddman kit. I need info, I have tried to search, but there is a lot of info to wade through but I could not find detailed instruction on what can and can not be done.
Does the chuckster plate make it easier? How do you get rid of the sucking noise, I read about?

thanks for any and all input.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-15-2009, 01:16 PM   #2

I too prefer the stock dog bowls.
THe problem is that they are designed to seal to the backing plate. One option would be to make a spacer of some type to put on the bolt beneath the bowl. Between the bowl and the filter, you would still need a way to seal the filter to the backing plate and the bowl at the same time.

I was looking for a similar option and decided that I will probably just do a double spectre kit.

As far as how to do it?

You can buy the spectre 9"kit and it is pretty much a bolt on done air filter setup. I would recommend doing it in the following order assuming that you have all the parts onhand.

First - Install the tfi
second - disconnect the cold idle solenoids on the right side.
Third - marble
fourth - install the filters to both sides
fifth - set the tfi
Sixth - go ride to local beer joint for a celebration cold one

Naturally there are a few steps within each of those but that is the general idea.

How far is anthem from Chandler? Cactusjack has done all of this and you could probably bribe him into overseeing yours. It doesn't take long to do at all once you have everything. I think he even has chucksters plates installed so you could see the whole thing.

The sucking noise is kind of required as it is mostly the sound of the engine pulling in air. Have you ever driven a car with a big four-barrel carb and really stomped on it. Kind of the same sound. It is actually kind of a beefy muscle car sound and I kind of like it.

Good luck. There will be more along to give you more hints.

I

Old 06-15-2009, 03:41 PM   #3

you will only really hear the sucking noise when you are sitting still. When you are moving you do not even hear it.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko72
you will only really hear the sucking noise when you are sitting still. When you are moving you do not even hear it.
Unless you roll hard on the throttle!!

Dick Campbell
Blairsville, GA
2008 Red & Black Nomad 1600
(retired)
2009 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner (retired)
2013 1900 Yamaha Stratoliner
2018 CanAm RT Limited Spyder (Sold)
2014 Goldwing Roadsmith Red Trike (Sold)
2019 Goldwing DCT Roadsmith Copper & Black Trike

VBA #243
Darkside #115
Patriot Guard Rider
American Legion Rider

Old 06-16-2009, 05:09 AM   #5

You can go with the plate I make and use the stock cover over the 7" K-N filter. This does quiet the noise considerably and gives a stealth look as well.

quote author=ccmjr77 board=nomad thread=11674 post=189722 time=1245086875]I am considering doing this mod, but I am not very real sure of my abilities in getting this done right.
Also, is there a way to keep the stock dog bowl covers? I don't care too much for the open filter look.

I don't plan to get new pipes, I have stock debaffled pipes.

I will get a tfi and caddman kit. I need info, I have tried to search, but there is a lot of info to wade through but I could not find detailed instruction on what can and can not be done.
Does the chuckster plate make it easier? How do you get rid of the sucking noise, I read about?

thanks for any and all input.

[/quote]
2010 Voyager (Blue/Silver)sold
2001 Nomad (gone, but not forgotten)

www.chucksterscustoms.com

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-22-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Is their a list of all the parts needed with instructions for doing this mod with the Chuckster plate?

I want to keep the stock look with the chuckster plate and 7" filter on the right side and leave the left side alone, even if just for looks.
Add a fuel processor and only have the debaffled pipes.

thanks.