Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 12-27-2013, 10:25 AM   #1

Tank badges for Vaquero and Mounting a Trunk on the KQR backrest system

I am looking into a quick release system that I can mount to the Vaquero. I think Ma Kaw has the only quick release available that I am aware of without fabricating the brackets myself. And believe me that is pretty much out of the question. So, my question is with a trunk and a KQR system can I mount a trunk with a backrest on the trunk onto the Kaw luggage rack? I am thinking I should be able to with the right hardware. Just not use the Kaw backrest.

Anywho, The trunk I bought will eventually be painted metallic flat spark black to match my bike. Now I LIKE the tank badges on my Vaq and would like the same badge on my trunk lid. Who makes those emblems? Does anyone on the forum make tank badges of any sort?

Edit:

Also, seeing how I only want the quick release for the luggage rack, can I use the KQR solo rack system for the Vaq? Will this fit with a two-up seat?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-OEM...p2054897.l4276

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by Petemoss; 12-27-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Welcome new member. The tank badges are available from Kawasaki, either from a dealer or one of the online parts houses.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #3

Thank you. I'm a member of a couple vulcan sites but more active in VDR. I sold my Drifter and bought the Vaquero a couple weeks ago. Sweet ride.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #4
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petemoss View Post
I am looking into a quick release system that I can mount to the Vaquero. I think Ma Kaw has the only quick release available that I am aware of without fabricating the brackets myself. And believe me that is pretty much out of the question. So, my question is with a trunk and a KQR system can I mount a trunk with a backrest on the trunk onto the Kaw luggage rack? I am thinking I should be able to with the right hardware. Just not use the Kaw backrest.

Anywho, The trunk I bought will eventually be painted metallic flat spark black to match my bike. Now I LIKE the tank badges on my Vaq and would like the same badge on my trunk lid. Who makes those emblems? Does anyone on the forum make tank badges of any sort?

Edit:

Also, seeing how I only want the quick release for the luggage rack, can I use the KQR solo rack system for the Vaq? Will this fit with a two-up seat?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kawasaki-OEM...p2054897.l4276
Just putting in my two cents. If you purchase this setup you need to purchase the K53020-405 KQR Mounting Kit and Solo Seat (both sold seperately).

I bought the K53020-405 KQR Mounting Kit for $122.32 from partspitstop.com, and it will work with a two-up seat. And its all OEM. I don't know if the rack you are looking will work with a two-up seat as the website says you need to purchase a solo seat. I made a locking quick release mounting bracket for my trunk. You might check partspitstop for the other things you are looking for. I thought they had the best price.

You make a living by what you get,
You make a life by what you give.

The measure of a man can be summed up by
how he treats people who are the least significant to him.

Old 12-27-2013, 11:06 PM   #5

I'd say keep watching ebay for the KQR parts. I bought the brackets and backrest for my Vaquero a few weeks back for less than 500 bucks shipped...around $480. Way less than dealer prices.

Don't think the solo luggage rack will work with 2up seat.....just guessing but it should sit too low for the seat to clear.

I thought the prices were ridiculous when I started shopping, but have to admit there is some serious metal in them.....no light weight junk. The dang pass. backrest weighs about 20 lbs.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #6

I'm thinking about the two up kqr set up and forgoing the backrest. This should work but I am thinking I will need a spacer in between the rack and kqr struts. Yes?

Old 12-31-2013, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake Ranch View Post
Just putting in my two cents. If you purchase this setup you need to purchase the K53020-405 KQR Mounting Kit and Solo Seat (both sold seperately).

I bought the K53020-405 KQR Mounting Kit for $122.32 from partspitstop.com, and it will work with a two-up seat. And its all OEM. I don't know if the rack you are looking will work with a two-up seat as the website says you need to purchase a solo seat. I made a locking quick release mounting bracket for my trunk. You might check partspitstop for the other things you are looking for. I thought they had the best price.
Snake Ranch -- have you posted a description, pics, or instructions for how you made a quick release mount? I would like to make my Voyager trunk a quick-release.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:26 PM   #8

I think I will use a two up KQR system and mount the trunk to the luggage rack. Not sure how yet...

Old 01-06-2014, 10:37 AM   #9
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=Petemoss;547422]I am looking into a quick release system that I can mount to the Vaquero. I think Ma Kaw has the only quick release available that I am aware of without fabricating the brackets myself. And believe me that is pretty much out of the question. So, my question is with a trunk and a KQR system can I mount a trunk with a backrest on the trunk onto the Kaw luggage rack? I am thinking I should be able to with the right hardware. Just not use the Kaw backrest.

This is what I did, when I bought my bike the dealer had already installed some accessories on it. One of the things they did was install the quick release backrest with the attached luggage rack. I have copied and attached a photo of that setup from kawasakis website. The backrest was very uncomfortable to my wife because of the fact after changing to corbin seat the backrest pad was right at her lower back, it barely cleared the height of the new seat.So I took off the backrest part leaving just the rack mounted to the quick release brackets. Then I ordered a trunk with backrest pad off ebay for $100.00 and mounted it on the rack. It works perfectly and my wife loves it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kawasaki luggage rack.jpg (13.4 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg trunkrack.jpg (47.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg trunkmounted1.jpg (78.9 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg trunkmounted2.jpg (96.5 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg trunkmount.jpg (47.4 KB, 56 views)

2012 Vaquero
Special edition Candy Lime Green / Ebony
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #10

[QUOTE=tazfl;548749]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petemoss View Post

This is what I did, when I bought my bike the dealer had already installed some accessories on it. One of the things they did was install the quick release backrest with the attached luggage rack. I have copied and attached a photo of that setup from kawasakis website. The backrest was very uncomfortable to my wife because of the fact after changing to corbin seat the backrest pad was right at her lower back, it barely cleared the height of the new seat.So I took off the backrest part leaving just the rack mounted to the quick release brackets. Then I ordered a trunk with backrest pad off ebay for $100.00 and mounted it on the rack. It works perfectly and my wife loves it.
tazfl what did you use to fill in the U channel of the mounting brackets? Did you also have the those pieces welded to the luggage rack? I've bee trying to figure out how to do this. I have the same trunk as you do from my old 900.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 01-08-2014, 10:51 PM   #11
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=captj3;549071]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfl View Post

tazfl what did you use to fill in the U channel of the mounting brackets? Did you also have the those pieces welded to the luggage rack? I've bee trying to figure out how to do this. I have the same trunk as you do from my old 900.
I made some aluminum spacers to fill the gap. I used 1/2" thick x 1" wide aluminum and cut two pieces 3" long. Drilled holes to match the holes in the quick release bracket so the bolts would pass through the QR bracket and spacers and into the rack. A piece of cake. you should be able to go to your local lowes or home depot and buy a short length of 1/2" x 1" aluminum, I could swear I've seen it in there before in a foot of three foot length, don't remember exactly. They might even be able to cut a couple of 3" pieces for you off the piece you buy.

2012 Vaquero
Cobra slip on exhaust, Kuryakyn Alley Cat intake, Cobra FI2000 Fuel Processor, Quick release trunk, Front & rear crashbars powdercoated black, Paul Yaffee stealth 3 tag frame, Arlen Ness grips, Corbin seat, Custom pinstripping, Rear LED strip turn signals, Stock rear turnsignals / tagframe assembly removed

Last edited by tazfl; 01-08-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:17 AM   #12

[QUOTE=tazfl;549232]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captj3 View Post

I made some aluminum spacers to fill the gap. I used 1/2" thick x 1" wide aluminum and cut two pieces 3" long. Drilled holes to match the holes in the quick release bracket so the bolts would pass through the QR bracket and spacers and into the rack. A piece of cake. you should be able to go to your local lowes or home depot and buy a short length of 1/2" x 1" aluminum, I could swear I've seen it in there before in a foot of three foot length, don't remember exactly. They might even be able to cut a couple of 3" pieces for you off the piece you buy.
Thanks Tazfl I have to look into that. I might go with 5/8 thick aluminum to make the brackets spread out some more. Mine are super tight, I have spread the backrest brackets to get it on. I tried adjusting them a million times and they fit the same. This was my second set from Kawasaki as I returned the 1st on for this reason.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Ivan's flash

Old 01-09-2014, 11:35 PM   #13
Advanced Member

[QUOTE=captj3;549261]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazfl View Post

Thanks Tazfl I have to look into that. I might go with 5/8 thick aluminum to make the brackets spread out some more. Mine are super tight, I have spread the backrest brackets to get it on. I tried adjusting them a million times and they fit the same. This was my second set from Kawasaki as I returned the 1st on for this reason.
your welcome...I just noticed that you're in florida also, what part ?

2012 Vaquero

Old 01-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #14

[QUOTE=tazfl;549385]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captj3 View Post

your welcome...I just noticed that you're in florida also, what part ?
I'm south of you in Boynton Beach.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Ivan's flash

Old 01-23-2014, 01:10 AM   #15

Thanks, Tazfl, this helps tremendously!