Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 04-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #1

fallen coal miners

For any one in the Charleston West Virgina area there will be a ride to benefit the families of fallen West Virginia coal miners on Sunday April 11th at 1 pm. I will be there with the Southern Cruisers Riding Club. Hope to see you there.

http://www.westvirginiabikers.com/2010_April.html
VBA #01448
2008 Metallic Ocean Blue / Neutron Silver
*the coolest colors*

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #2

fallen coal miners

KANAWHA COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Even miles away from the site of the Upper Big Branch Mine many efforts are being organized to honor the 29 miners killed in a deadly explosion.

Sunday, a special prayer vigil was held at the miner's memorial at the state captiol.

The vigil was organized by the Kings River Worship Center. Pastor Ron Crum grew up in Marsh Fork. After Monday's explosion, Crum says he stopped by Marsh Fork Elementary, where the media was set up, every day. Crum says "that's my people, that's my family."

Crum says he wanted to organize Sunday's vigil to give everyone a chance to grieve and pray for the 29 miners killed.

People took time to pray for the miners, their families, rescue workers and even Governor Joe Manchin.

In Jefferson, nearly 400 bikers gathered at Tomahawks Sunday for a memorial motorcycle ride.

Riders were asked to make a cash donation and more than $7,500 was raised. The money will be given to the families of the miners.

"I've worked with some of the guys and know their families," said Patrick Demersman. "I can't pretend to know what they are going through. I hope things work out and everybody pulls through it."

Still a coal miner, Demersman says he will now think of those 29 men every time he heads underground. He was overwhelmed with the turnout of support Sunday.

"It's wild how people pull together in a time like this," Demersman says.

Even strangers to the miners and the families were along for the ride. Debbie Luikart says "They're West Virginians man, they're miners, they're our people and you've got to support our people."
VBA #01448
*the coolest colors*

Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #3

fallen coal miners

KANAWHA COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) -- Even miles away from the site of the Upper Big Branch Mine many efforts are being organized to honor the 29 miners killed in a deadly explosion.

Sunday, a special prayer vigil was held at the miner's memorial at the state captiol.

The vigil was organized by the Kings River Worship Center. Pastor Ron Crum grew up in Marsh Fork. After Monday's explosion, Crum says he stopped by Marsh Fork Elementary, where the media was set up, every day. Crum says "that's my people, that's my family."

Crum says he wanted to organize Sunday's vigil to give everyone a chance to grieve and pray for the 29 miners killed.

People took time to pray for the miners, their families, rescue workers and even Governor Joe Manchin.

In Jefferson, nearly 400 bikers gathered at Tomahawks Sunday for a memorial motorcycle ride.

Riders were asked to make a cash donation and more than $7,500 was raised. The money will be given to the families of the miners.

"I've worked with some of the guys and know their families," said Patrick Demersman. "I can't pretend to know what they are going through. I hope things work out and everybody pulls through it."

Still a coal miner, Demersman says he will now think of those 29 men every time he heads underground. He was overwhelmed with the turnout of support Sunday.

Even strangers to the miners and the families were along for the ride. Debbie Luikart says "They're West Virginians man, they're miners, they're our people and you've got to support our people."
VBA #01448
*the coolest colors*

Old 04-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #4

fallen coal miners

VBA #01448
*the coolest colors*

Old 04-12-2010, 06:47 PM   #5

fallen coal miners

That's awesome how the community of bikers come together to help others out. Thanks for posting this.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #6

fallen coal miners

Wow.....Amazing story. Touched this Cajun's heart. Thanks for posting.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Old 04-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #7

fallen coal miners

I have worked in the coal mines of Cape Breton N.S for over 20 years. Words can not explain the brotherhood that coal miners feel for each other. It hits me in the heart to see such sorrow! Prayers to them and their families!!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:00 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
fallen coal miners

Truly wonderful.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181