Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 12-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #1

Fairing Radio

Ok all you that have put a fairing on your Nomad and then put in an after market radio, which one did you buy? I have a friend that bought a Dragon Fly fairing for his Road King with a radio installed, bad part is it's a defective radio and the Dragon Fly people knew it when they sold it to him. They refuse to talk to him and said "too bad" it's your radio, (He bought the product this past spring). So now he is trying to find a radio with mp3/ipod capabilities for his fairing. He is going after Dragon Fly in other ways since he found out they have replaced this radio in other fairings but the owner now says "no more".

So to make the long story short he needs a good radio, what's the recommendations?

Thanks for your help

dave....

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #2

There are as many brands as there are opinions. I would consider installing a "marine" rated head unit and ease of use and accessibility of the control buttons. Of course there are blue tooth option, remote control, wattage, etc. options to consider. It depends on how much one wants to spend.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #3

I'd say put in whatever you want. Ive used Pioneer and Sony units in my fairing.
My current Sony has no CD player, but it will hold my Ipod right inside the unit in a tray.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #4
Top Contributor

I think some radios have a USB port so you can load up a flash drive and play your own tunes for when the radio reception is not so great ?

Old 12-30-2012, 02:31 AM   #5

I have a Pyle "marine" radio in mine. It has the usb port, an sd card slot and the aux input for the mp3 players. When it comes time to replace it, I will get a stereo with bluetooth.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #6

I have a Kenwood KMR 700. It has a "brain" that I mounted in the saddlebag and the part in the fairing is hollow. It opens to store an iPod, USB stick, hell I put my GPS in it when it rains. Has direct connect for Sirius and is IPX5 waterproof.

Sat radio rocks on long rides.

http://www.google.com/shopping/produ...ed=0CFIQ8wIwAA

Old 12-30-2012, 04:41 PM   #7

About a year and half ago, I used the JVC KD-HDR60 AM/FM/CD/HD/USB Stereo. It has performed excellent and never a problem. I usually use a 8gb stick with all the tunes I like. The small stick allows the weather proof cover to be up at the same time. The digital (HD) radio is great also.

VBA # 1234
VROC # 32837
Patriot Guard Riders
Naval Advisory Group Vietnam 69-70

Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #8
Advanced Member

I put in a Jensen Marine Radio. It's been great. I like the built in Sirius Radio controls.
12" mini apes
Galfer lines (6' over)
EJK Dobeck
Reckless Fairing.
Led H4 headlight
All LED lights
Rockford Fosgate radio

Old 01-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #9

I have much like this Infinity Bluetooth Unit (Infinity INFPRV250), nice and small bluetooth unit, has a conector for flash drive and has nots of boom but none of the tension of the traditional radios on the fairing since they are slimmer.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #10

I have a alpine in my fairing.. It is awesome.. Has Bluetooth built in (allows for internet radio as well as knowing if you receive a phone call) and a usb slot.. If I had to do it over again I probably would have gotten the HD built in as well...
I believe it does 18wattsx 4 RMS power... Max 45x 4..

Also like kenwood and have a brand new KMR-440U (marine Grade) never installed unit- Went with the alpine bc of bluetooth, It does 22 RMS and has a screen that is changeable in color.. It does many many different colors very customizable. Has USB but no built in extras..

I think the kenwood is Satellite radio capable/Ready but not the alpine..

Last edited by sho_greg; 01-07-2013 at 09:04 PM.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #11

Oh yeah- one more great thing about Bluetooth is when in use with your navigation on smartphones... directions comes through the speakers..

Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
Advanced Member

I have a Sony marine radio CD player that is xm Sirius ready also has a cable that runs to my trunk that charges my iphone and lets me play the music stored on the phone. Works for me