Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Regional Groups > Regional Groups > Canada West Group

Old 02-20-2010, 09:46 AM   #16

Man!!! Not now !!

Rick,
Hope your back in action real soon. It is never fun waiting around for your body to heal while your mind has bigger plans.

Kris,
That sounds like scary stuff. it must be hard being in limbo, waiting to know what it is. I hope it all turns out to be nothing.

Just maybe Timebandit had a good idea with his sunrise /sunset suggestion for names of our new boards.
With all this talk about aches and pains and the body taking longer to heal these days, The "Sunset Nomads" seems appropriate. Sorry I could not help myself, call it a senior moment!

Take care guys.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-21-2010, 10:10 PM   #17

Man!!! Not now !!

Can I ever empathize with the rib pain world. Shades of me at Custer last summer. Hope you heal quickly, Rick. Nothing worse than good weather and a body that won't co-operate enough to ride.

And I hope your weirdness turns out to be nothing, Kris.

Brent

Old 02-23-2010, 05:15 AM   #18
Top Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to rickyboy
Man!!! Not now !!

Well I went to the Dr. on Friday. He says I've torn the MCL somewhat. Not completely though where an operation would be needed. At this point in time I can expect to be off work 6-8 weeks. I have to go to physio therapy too. I started that today. I have to get a brace fitted for myself as well. I have a 2 wk. vacation in NYC scheduled for spring break and the physio DR. said that's fine as long as I do the exercises he's set out and I wear the brace during the day. I'm going to guess that with the brace on the leg I'll be riding in not too long.
The ribs will need to heal on their own and are mostly bruised with a possible hairline crack.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
108 Mile Ranch, British Columbia
Canada
Vulcan Bagger Assoc. #00722
Black 2006 Nomad

https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/ico...Book_32x32.png

Old 02-23-2010, 12:27 PM   #19

Man!!! Not now !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyboy ... #00722
I have to go to physio therapy too.
Sounds better Rick. Watch out those physio ladies though. They can be real cruel and push you to limits, start easy.

To put a positive spin to your injuries, you could do many things during your sick leave, e.g. read the Nomad manual Trip posted @ http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...ic.php?t=13167, organize your photos or maintenance records, watch movies, etc. In week 7 or 8 if you feel really good, drink beer all day and drink a little more in the evening 'cause you don't have to go to work next day.

On a serious note, if you're taking medication to control pain, you might experience constipation. If that is the case, I'd recommend prune juice. Save-on-foods carries at least two flavours.

Get well soon.

Elvis

Old 02-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #20
Top Contributor

Man!!! Not now !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis
Quote:
I have to go to physio therapy too.
Sounds better Rick. Watch out those physio ladies though. They can be real cruel and push you to limits, start easy.

To put a positive spin to your injuries, you could do many things during your sick leave, e.g. read the Nomad manual Trip posted @ http://www.vulcanbagger.com/phpBB3/v...ic.php?t=13167, organize your photos or maintenance records, watch movies, etc. In week 7 or 8 if you feel really good, drink beer all day and drink a little more in the evening 'cause you don't have to go to work next day.

On a serious note, if you're taking medication to control pain, you might experience constipation. If that is the case, I'd recommend prune juice. Save-on-foods carries at least two flavours.

Get well soon.

Elvis
I'm LMAO !! Thanks a lot for your advice E. It sounds like you've taken your share of pain killers and anti inflamatories. As have I.
I was off with a back injury for close to 2.5 yrs. and took meds to a point where I was seriously addicted to codene. As far as the constipation goes,..... ::) I got that figured out. ;) LOL, LOL !
But really,..... thanks !

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #21

Man!!! Not now !!

Quote:
I'm LMAO !! Thanks a lot for your advice E. It sounds like you've taken your share of pain killers and anti inflamatories. As have I.
I was off with a back injury for close to 2.5 yrs. and took meds to a point where I was seriously addicted to codene. As far as the constipation goes,..... ::) I got that figured out. ;) LOL, LOL !
Rick, if you can laugh that hard, your rib is okay my friend. Also, you must have mastered the art and science of "passing time" while recovering from back injuries. All is good then.

But really, it's good to see you in good spirits, so do you think you're gonna join me on April 17 at Barnes' Chili Cook-off and Demo rides. Not sure how hot the chili will be [like mine really hot] but I know how hot those Road Glides are. Wanna test ride a Street Glide and a Road Glide one by one and see how they compare.

http://www.barneshd.com/event_calend...=4%2F23%2F2010

Cheers,

Elvis

P.S. Inspired by you, changed my sig. photo.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #22
Advanced Member

Man!!! Not now !!

As a good friend of mine that is 69 keeps telling me 'Getting old is not for sissies, you gotta be mighty tough to get old'. He says he is 9 years older than God and it's not been a picnic getting that old. I tell people he was a busboy at the last supper.

But everyones right about hurting more as you get older. I've been doing factory work, which most days is heavy manual labour and lifting, for most of the last 30 years now and it does take it's toll. I have pain where I didn't even know anything could or would hurt and the in the last couple of years the cold weather lets me know every injury or hurt I've suffered over the years.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:08 AM   #23
Top Contributor

Man!!! Not now !!

Quote:
Quote:
Rick, if you can laugh that hard, your rib is okay my friend. Also, you must have mastered the art and science of "passing time" while recovering from back injuries. All is good then.

But really, it's good to see you in good spirits, so do you think you're gonna join me on April 17 at Barnes' Chili Cook-off and Demo rides. Not sure how hot the chili will be [like mine really hot] but I know how hot those Road Glides are. Wanna test ride a Street Glide and a Road Glide one by one and see how they compare.

http://www.barneshd.com/event_calend...=4%2F23%2F2010

Cheers,

Elvis

P.S. Inspired by you, changed my sig. photo.
I think I remember seeing some photos of you at the tradex, sitting on a couple of those "Hardly Go Davidsons"..... didn't I??
If I was a betting man, I'd bet that you would be the next "Nomad guy" to trade in the Nomad for a Glide or some other HD bike. But sure,... I'll go for some chili at Barnes. Is it in Langley? I hope I'll have the Nomad on the road by then and the weather's good. Remind me later though.
It looks like we stopped at the same elevation in Yellowstone.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 02-24-2010, 01:16 PM   #24

Man!!! Not now !!

Quote:
I think I remember seeing some photos of you at the tradex, sitting on a couple of those "Hardly Go Davidsons"..... didn't I??
If I was a betting man, I'd bet that you would be the next "Nomad guy" to trade in the Nomad for a Glide or some other HD bike.
Hi Rick,

Now you got me fired up, feeling compelled to drop a line or two:

Ever since I noticed that smile on our neighbour's face when he was parking his BMW, I developed a special feeling for those bikes. We, the kids, played around that bike, climbed on it, opened up the throttle, inspected the bike imitating him. I was just tall enough to open the front door and run to the street then.

One day, my friend, who loved the Shadows but could only afford a scooter, gave me a magazine and that's when I came to know the Sportster, the distinct gas tank, the V-twin and the whole package. The boxer engine and later the shaft drive made a lot of sense to me as I grew up and learned about bikes. I was gonna get one of those BMWs some day but loved the Sportster also. That was when my friend and I had just started to chase girls after school.

Fast-forward to this day, my better half and I have 5 computers (this current herd consists of Linux, Mac OS X and Windows machines), 2 motorcycles, 1 car and a big mortgage. Now there's no direct analogy between computers and bikes however I can safely state that Linux-people dislike the Windo$e Operating System (OS), Windows OS dominates the market and Mac OS X is probably the most advanced OS for general use.

If bikes were as affordable as computers, we would have a BMW from the 60s/70s era, a Thunderbird (i.e. a Triumph not the car), a chopped Sportster, a Road Glide (RG), the Suzi and the Nomad. Oh man, that's a fascinating dream and I often fantasize that; back to reality though, we can have only two bikes at any given time unless we hit the jack pot.

I'm not a seasoned motorcyclist nor do I know a lot about motorcycles however I do have a special attachment to motorcycles and I take every opportunity to test ride bikes and have tested various makes and models including several HDs.

For the record; IMHO, overall, an 08 Nomad is way better than an 09 Road King. Also the Heritage no longer gives me the same thrill as it did before I owned the Nomad. And finally, the RG I rode last year ignited a fire in me and that fire is still burning.

Who knows if the local Kawi dealer lets me ride the new Nomad, the 1700 might override all the sensations the RG gave me last year.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that we don't drink the same wine every night. I for one try different wines, -red, white and rosé-, and constantly alternate my favorite ones depending on the occasion.

Best regards,

Elvis

Old 02-24-2010, 01:34 PM   #25

Man!!! Not now !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat
As a good friend of mine that is 69 keeps telling me 'Getting old is not for sissies, you gotta be mighty tough to get old'. He says he is 9 years older than God and it's not been a picnic getting that old. I tell people he was a busboy at the last supper.

But everyones right about hurting more as you get older. I've been doing factory work, which most days is heavy manual labour and lifting, for most of the last 30 years now and it does take it's toll. I have pain where I didn't even know anything could or would hurt and the in the last couple of years the cold weather lets me know every injury or hurt I've suffered over the years.
Hey cyclecat,

I can swear I saw you at a gas station last summer but I just can't remember where, maybe in Montana or Idaho? Did you and your partner go on a road trip last summer?

Regards,

Elvis

Old 02-25-2010, 04:36 AM   #26
Top Contributor

Man!!! Not now !!

Quote:
Quote:
If I was a betting man, I'd bet that you would be the next "Nomad guy" to trade in the Nomad for a Glide or some other HD bike.
Hi Rick,

Now you got me fired up, feeling compelled to drop a line or two:

Ever since I noticed that smile on our neighbour's face when he was parking his BMW, I developed a special feeling for those bikes. We, the kids, played around that bike, climbed on it, opened up the throttle, inspected the bike imitating him. I was just tall enough to open the front door and run to the street then.

One day, my friend, who loved the Shadows but could only afford a scooter, gave me a magazine and that's when I came to know the Sportster, the distinct gas tank, the V-twin and the whole package. The boxer engine and later the shaft drive made a lot of sense to me as I grew up and learned about bikes. I was gonna get one of those BMWs some day but loved the Sportster also. That was when my friend and I had just started to chase girls after school.

Fast-forward to this day, my better half and I have 5 computers (this current herd consists of Linux, Mac OS X and Windows machines), 2 motorcycles, 1 car and a big mortgage. Now there's no direct analogy between computers and bikes however I can safely state that Linux-people dislike the Windo$e Operating System (OS), Windows OS dominates the market and Mac OS X is probably the most advanced OS for general use.

If bikes were as affordable as computers, we would have a BMW from the 60s/70s era, a Thunderbird (i.e. a Triumph not the car), a chopped Sportster, a Road Glide (RG), the Suzi and the Nomad. Oh man, that's a fascinating dream and I often fantasize that; back to reality though, we can have only two bikes at any given time unless we hit the jack pot.

I'm not a seasoned motorcyclist nor do I know a lot about motorcycles however I do have a special attachment to motorcycles and I take every opportunity to test ride bikes and have tested various makes and models including several HDs.

For the record; IMHO, overall, an 08 Nomad is way better than an 09 Road King. Also the Heritage no longer gives me the same thrill as it did before I owned the Nomad. And finally, the RG I rode last year ignited a fire in me and that fire is still burning.

Who knows if the local Kawi dealer lets me ride the new Nomad, the 1700 might override all the sensations the RG gave me last year.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is that we don't drink the same wine every night. I for one try different wines, -red, white and rosé-, and constantly alternate my favorite ones depending on the occasion.

Best regards,

Elvis
Hi there Elvis,
Geeze ! I didn't mean to start anything here. ::) ;) I don't dislike the HD's at all. I hope you haven't misunderstood me. If it wasn't for the apparent attitude of most HD people I run into, I might even own one. I just don't like what the brand name seems to bring out or imply. For me it seems as though Harley Davidson has come to be a state of mind with a lot of owners. That and,....is there anything other than other motorcycles, that Harley doesn't or won't stick their initials and shield on? So are we on for the demo and chili days at Barnes??

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad

Old 02-25-2010, 08:40 AM   #27
Advanced Member

Man!!! Not now !!

Hi Elvis

My riding partner is Brian, my husband of almost 36 years and we ride everywhere together. We spend a lot of time in and around the Kalispell, Montana area in the summer and if you saw us it would have been in Montana. We were at the Bear Tooth early in the summer but were not in Idaho last year.

If you think you saw my Ruby and Brian's Nad, then you probably did. Both Nomads are quite unique since there is no other Nomad with the leather we have (or coloured leather on Ruby) anywhere else in the world.

CC

Old 02-25-2010, 11:35 AM   #28

Man!!! Not now !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat
Hi Elvis

My riding partner is Brian, my husband of almost 36 years and we ride everywhere together. We spend a lot of time in and around the Kalispell, Montana area in the summer and if you saw us it would have been in Montana. We were at the Bear Tooth early in the summer but were not in Idaho last year.

If you think you saw my Ruby and Brian's Nad, then you probably did. Both Nomads are quite unique since there is no other Nomad with the leather we have (or coloured leather on Ruby) anywhere else in the world.

CC
Hi CC,

We've nailed it. I looked in my logbook and we were in Kalispell, MT on Aug 2, give or take 1 day. We had coffee at Montana Coffee Trade Company in White Fish also a nice, small community in that area.

Our bikes are quite ordinary looking machines and don't feature almost anything [except their extra-ordinary riders ;) ] so therefore I don't think you guys will remember us but I've attached a few pics here.

At KOA camp ground just outside Red Lodge, MT

Another camp ground at Glacier National Park, MT

Excellent motel in Eugene, OR

Small world, eh! Compliments to your bikes, very nicely done. Give my best to Brian.

Cheers,

Elvis

Old 02-25-2010, 12:54 PM   #29

Man!!! Not now !!

Quote:
Hi there Elvis,
Geeze ! I didn't mean to start anything here. ::) ;) I don't dislike the HD's at all. I hope you haven't misunderstood me. If it wasn't for the apparent attitude of most HD people I run into, I might even own one. I just don't like what the brand name seems to bring out or imply. For me it seems as though Harley Davidson has come to be a state of mind with a lot of owners. That and,....is there anything other than other motorcycles, that Harley doesn't or won't stick their initials and shield on? So are we on for the demo and chili days at Barnes??
Hi Rick,

No motorcycle boards are complete without HD bashing, right? Anyways, it must've been my temperature fluctuating yesterday, I think I vented off some steam. I'm sick as a dog, laying flat most of the time at home.

We went to the Victory Ceremonies the previous Wed. Had to stand in lines, BC Place was bloody cold, it was a looong night wandering in downtown Vancouver. I've been sick since and trying to rest and recover at home. The ceremony was great though, our own West Van girl got a gold that night, the Mayor, the Premier and the President of Olympic Committee were in the same section as we were in [not that you'd care ]. Paul Brandt and his band were also great, such a talented artist.

Back to HD: I couldn't agree with you more on that attitude issue. But I figured there are 2 kinds of HD riders:

The first category, the-so-called Harley riders, won't go pass the city limits. They will put anything and everything with the HD logo on and ride to local bars, they will walk around in that silly outfit which I find very amusing. Sometimes you see them all leathered up on a sunny afternoon riding back and fort on Robson Street. They also sometimes give you a look that is really hard to describe. They are worse when they are bunched up with a few others of the same kind. Their attitude instantly amplifies to unbearable levels. Well, I think you know what I mean. This group of people should be ridiculed.

The second category people hardly ride around town except for commuting or taking their sweethearts for a nice dinner. They are the ones who cherish the long-standing V-twin. They are the ones who salute us, the non-HD riders, on the divided Interstate when we both ride at 80 mph the opposite direction. They even wave at you when they overtake you on the Interstate. They are also the ones who walk over at a gas station and give tips on the road and weather conditions ahead of you. Heck, one Electra Glide rider approached us once and complimented on my wife's C50. He went "I've been admiring these bikes for a while, my Electra feels really heavy as I'm getting older and I'm considering one. Is it good on gas?" When he learned the C50 goes 60 miles to the gallon, he was impressed. Guess 'nough said.

I simply stay away from the first category but interact with the real motorcycle loving HD riders on the road, at the coffee shop, demo rides, etc.

Rick, I think I hijacked your thread, my apologies. But it's okay to spice it up every now and then, isn't it?

Speaking of spice, I suggest we take some cayenne pepper to the chilli cook-off. You never know if those people can really cook good chilli and you can fix any chilli with a little bit of cayenne. Will give you 3 days' notice.

Cheers,

Elvis

Old 02-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #30
Top Contributor

Man!!! Not now !!

Hmmm???

I missed your post. Anyway,.....OK we're good.
I haven't run into many of the second type of HD people. I might be guilty of judging all HD people as being from the first grp.. I shouldn't be that way I guess.

I use to be able to handle anything anyone threw at me as far as hot goes E. But according to the Dr. I have created an allergic reaction to anything too spicy, from eating a lot of it. I tend to go into hiccup fits and sweating profusely when I eat things spicy. So except for the odd time I tend to have stay away from too much heat. But ya bring along "the pepper".

As an update to the orig. thread,... the knee is doing better but understand what the physio Dr said when he told me "even when the knee doesn't hurt as much, doesn't mean it's all better. I'm a long way away from being better. I'm waiting on a knee brace for it right now. 5-7 weeks to go if the Dr's are correct.

Nomad'a What !
"rickyboy"

Richard Cole
Canada West Region
Canada
Black 2006 Nomad