Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-18-2008, 07:12 PM   #1

oil and oil filter

When removing the oil filter on my 07 Nomad I can't get a ratchet on my oil filter wrench because of the belly under there, I know I can drive a nail through it to take it off but my mechanic says I need to torque it down when putting a new one on, tried it with a belt type but crushed the filter, also what generic oil filter and oil would be good to use. Ended up borrowing the shops oil filter wrench which can be used with an open ended wrench. I see they cost about $60 though. - Any other problems like this out there. $70 to change oil and filter at shop seems ridiculous - Midnight

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-18-2008, 09:39 PM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
oil and oil filter

If your mechanic stated you needed to torque it down, I'd run..... Oil filters need only be tight enough not to leak, period. I tighten my oil filters as tight as I can with my fingertips only, no tighter. It take about as much to break my filter loose as it does opening a jar of mayo. Your making a mistake if you need a filter wrench on a oil filter. Walmart ST7313.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-18-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
Advanced Member

oil and oil filter

Midnight
......Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people and info here. I usually use a long screwdriver, drive it through the filter and get er' loose that way. I have never torqued an oil filter on. Lube the gasket, spin it on til contact, get a good grip on it with your hands, and tighten it up. Most filters manufacturers ask for 1/2 to 3/4 turn after contact and you can do that by hand. I have never had one leak or come loose doing it that way. Check out this site....

http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

....Everything you need to know about filters and oil, and lots of other stuff, can be found there. Don't be afraid to ask questions here. Someone here will be able to answer just about anything you need to know about Nomads..... :)

Mike Donahue
Morinville, AB
VBA#17

"Every day above ground is a good one!"

Old 11-18-2008, 10:15 PM   #4

oil and oil filter

I just tighten my filter barely hand tight, and it never leaks, and is easy to remove by hand as well. When I have tightened them by hand fairly tight I found them very difficult to remove later on, even with a filter wrench.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 11-18-2008, 11:43 PM   #5

oil and oil filter

Hi Midnight, welcome to the board from NW. Georgia, Like the others stated, when I replace my filter, I spin it on until it makes contact, and go about 1/2 turn more. I have never had one leak, and to get it loose, I have to use both hands to break the seal, and don't have to use a wrench either.

The "book" does state to tighten it to 13 ft lbs, but that is way to tight. Like I've already said, really snug is good enough. ;)

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-19-2008, 12:20 AM   #6

oil and oil filter

I had the same problem with my 07 the filter was on way too tight from the factory bent an oil filter wrench getting it off . now i just hand tighten like others have said and no problems
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Old 11-19-2008, 06:05 AM   #7

oil and oil filter

I had a filter on so tight that driving and screwdriver through it and trying to take it off, just ripped the filter. Finally got a filter wrench clamped on it and got it worked off. That was the last time I took my bike to a mechanic friend's house to use is lift. He cranked the thing on there waaaay too tight. I hand tightened the filter the last time I changed the oil and no troubles.

Amy "kawgirl" Neal
Greenville, NC
2002 Nomad

Old 11-19-2008, 07:34 AM   #8
VBA Founder

oil and oil filter

The best oil filter wrench I've found is the one that has a metal bar with a strap connected to it. You put the strap around the oil filter, roll the bar up tight and use a ratchet to twist the bar until the filter breaks loose. The more you twist, the more tension the belt has twisting the oil filter loose.

I learned a long time ago that a motorcycle oil filter needs to only be put on hand tight. Before putting the new filter on, check the oil spicket on the engine and make sure the old rubber seal didn't stick to the engine when taking the old filter off. Dab a little oil on the rubber seal on the new filter and tighten it down as tight as you can by hand only.
Trip's Website

Custer 09, 18 / Maggie Valley 11 / Eureka Springs 09, 17 / Antlers 09, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18
Texas Hill Country / Deals Gap / Colorado / Wyoming / Montana / Utah / More trips for Trip

Old 11-19-2008, 08:02 AM   #9
Advanced Member

oil and oil filter

Taking the oil filter off the first time was a real bear, but you can buy an oil filter wrench that fits on a ratchet from Autozone, Pep Boys or Advanced Auto for under $5. I always have one in my tool box. The first time I changed filters, I had to re-ping the flat spots on the adapter so it would grab on to the filter better. If this is the first time you've tried to get something off your 07, if it was put together like mine, everything is overly tight. To get my windshield apart for adjusting, I broke 3 bolts and stripped another. Those guys get in there with air wrenches and just go nuts. Don't over tighten the filter when putting it back on and don't forget to oil the rubber "O-ring".

Old 11-19-2008, 09:30 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
oil and oil filter

"As tight as you can by hand only" Thats still too tight Trip. The expansion and contraction of the heating process over time will make that filter a bear to remove. No more than 1/2 turn after the gasket hits.

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #11
Mega-Contributor

oil and oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
"As tight as you can by hand only" Thats still too tight Trip. The expansion and contraction of the heating process over time will make that filter a bear to remove. No more than 1/2 turn after the gasket hits.
You should be able to remove a properly tightened oil filter by hand. They must have the same guy installing oil filters at the factory that tightens the windshield bolts.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-19-2008, 10:54 AM   #12

oil and oil filter

I run the filter on till it hits then just 1/4 to 1/2 turn more to tighten.

Old 11-19-2008, 02:40 PM   #13
Top Contributor

oil and oil filter

Get a new filter and take it to Napa. They have a have a large sheet metal type socket that goes on the end of the filter that is the same size as the flats on the outside diameter of the filter.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:12 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to nomad
oil and oil filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blowndodge "Darksider"
If your mechanic stated you needed to torque it down, I'd run..... Oil filters need only be tight enough not to leak, period. I tighten my oil filters as tight as I can with my fingertips only, no tighter. It take about as much to break my filter loose as it does opening a jar of mayo. Your making a mistake if you need a filter wrench on a oil filter. Walmart ST7313.
yes indeed!! if he/she said that, then run for the hills.......

Old 11-20-2008, 12:14 AM   #15
Advanced Member

Send a message via MSN to Blue Rebel
oil and oil filter

I use a screwdriver and drive it through the filter to loosen it up and take it off. When installing the new filter, I only tighten by hand. Haven't had any leaks to this point.

Actually, I have done the same process on all my cars and trucks as well and never had any leaks.

Just make sure you put a thin quote of oil around the seal before you install the new filter and you shouldn't have any problems.