Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 11-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #1

Loading systems for a pick-up or RV.

First let me say thanks to everyone for the feedback I have gotten these past few months on some earlier questions. I had asked about a USB charging port and someone recommended one from "Spark", well I bought it, had it installed and it is the "cat's meow". The technician that installed now has put the same unit in about 4 other bikes he told me...including his own and is really pleased. I am in the process of installing a pair of LED running lights as well as the head lamp and tail light if he can find a bezel that works for my '01 1500 classic, I'll keep the board posted.
Now to the reason for this post. I have decided to return to the USA from my overseas work assignment and the thought of renting a place for the next year of two doesn't seem like something I am interested in doing. I am looking hard at a 38' diesel pusher RV(used) and plan on living in it pretty much full time. I can move around with work pretty easy and this will give me a chance to experience some places I have always wanted to do more than "drive thru". The plan is tow a pick up behind the RV (4 wheels down) for transportation while the RV remains parked. At this time, I am looking at a 2010"ish" Chevy Colorado or the Nissan Frontier (also used). I do not want to have to leave the bike in storage or fuss with having it shipped everytime I move, so I thought I would see if anyone has any "real life" experience with the bike ramp/lifts systems that use an electric wench. I saw a YOUTube video of a Blue Ox system that mounts to the back of the coach and allows you to tow up to 5000# as well, but can't find any information about buying one.
Anyway, as always I am open to suggestions and comments about what you have used, seen, other things I might need to consider. I do know that the combined weight of the bike and the truck is less than 5000# (somewhere in the neighborhood or 4300#.
TIA for the help!
Sky

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #2

I currently use a fifth wheel "toy hauler" for my travels and bike transport. It has it's own garage with ramp (the wife and I lived in it for about a year after we retired). I have seen several Class A's with a motorcycle carrying device on the back in addition to pulling a "toad". Once the auto is disconnected the bike carrier drops down (electric/hydraulic). Heavy duty enough to carry a full size HD or Gold Wing.

Old 11-12-2017, 12:07 PM   #3

http://www.ehamiltonenterprises.com/...alculation.pdf

http://www.ehamiltonenterprises.com/...tCarriers.html

You have to make several calculations and inspections of the RV before you decide to go this route. Tires, Axle, length from COA to rear mounting point, etc are all considered.

Hanging on a steel assembly six or seven feet behind the rear axle then your 700 pound bike "weighs" more like 1100 pounds in weight distributed to the rear components of your planned RV. Have to take a good look at any frame mods to stretch the chassis frame too. See the pdf for calculations.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:57 AM   #4

I appreciate both of your responses. I am not comfortable with adding approx 1000 lbs. to the rear axle and the frame for exactly the reasons you mentioned. With the arm/moment of that kind of weight I can only see potential problems. That is why I am focusing on using the "toad" to carry my bike and staying under the max towing load. As I understand the systems, using a distributed weight towbar system that mounts directly to the frame, as well as the fact the the weight of the "toad" is on it's own wheels, I can minimize the downforce.
I am hoping that some of the contributors here have some experience or knowledge about the ramp loading systems available to load the bike into the back of the pickup. Again, I appreciate the replies!
Rick

Old 11-13-2017, 10:00 AM   #5

IMO, "DUFFY" is right. Pickup truck and a fifth wheel toy hauler would be best for your idea. You can park the toy hauler, have to truck for driving around and the bike in its own garage in the back of the toyhauler.

BUT depends on YOUR preferences !

Cu,
Sven

MY LIFE - MY RULES !

2018 Indian Roadmaster

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-13-2017, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demolition Man View Post
IMO, "DUFFY" is right. Pickup truck and a fifth wheel toy hauler would be best for your idea. You can park the toy hauler, have to truck for driving around and the bike in its own garage in the back of the toyhauler.

BUT depends on YOUR preferences !

Cu,
Sven

That's exactly why I opted for the fifth wheel toy hauler.................more user friendly. My toy hauler has a "half garage". The garage is 52" wide and 12' long. It held my 05' 1500 Classic with no problem at all. The other half of the back is a slide out that adds another "room".

Old 11-13-2017, 11:57 AM   #7

The 2nd and 3rd lifts I've seen used with full dress HD's, and they worked flawlessly.

I would have something like that, but I can't have a pickup where I live.

http://www.discountramps.com/powered...ramp/p/C-Ramp/

http://bikeloader.com/index.html

http://www.openroadoutfitters.com/rampage-lift
VBA 936

Old 12-08-2017, 02:18 PM   #8

Just woke from a dream

It's a recurring dream where I'm driving down the road (witch doesn't matter) gin a 4-Door Mega Cab, Dodge 4X4 Diesel Dually towing a 35 ft, 3 slide outs, 5th-wheel, toy hauler with my 03 Nomad and 94 Vulcan. Now this would be the cats meow.

This has been my idea of retirement with a feeling of security and cover for my loved ones and my wife. Solves a lot of problems.

My Herd,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF3266.jpg (96.7 KB, 3 views)

Old 12-08-2017, 06:07 PM   #9

My dad had a 40' motorhome years back, towed a longbed truck behind, with his bike in the bed of the truck, then used a large ramp to get it into the bed. You'd have to replace your tailgate wires on the side to the special metal brackets though, cause even with a 8' long bed, you can't close the tailgate. The Nomad is almost 10 ft. long overall.
Later, my dad did like Demolition said, got a Dodge 3500 dually, a 45' gooseneck trailer with 3 slideouts, it had enough room for us to put a toolbox in the rear, the 2 ElectraGlides side by side if needed....(I usually rode mine)....with plenty of room for the other stuff, chain lube, oil, washnwax, helmets, etc,etc, and it was a home on wheels!
Setup trailer, parked bikes under awning, truck for groceries or if weather got really bad.... If we needed to take bike to the shop, we could load it into rear of truck, ------, both he and I were Harley Dealership Mechanics....we'd order the parts, get them in, pull the bike into the rear of toyhauler, usually in the dealers parking lot, turn on the air, we'd tear it down, repair it ourselves..
My last year at Sturgis with him, his inner primary bearing locked up trashing his transmission shaft....I was stuck there repairing his bike while mom/dad rode around enjoying themselves on my ElectraGlide....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 12-08-2017 at 06:22 PM.