Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-27-2017, 11:07 AM   #1

03 Nomad 1500L Stuck in Gear

I just got a Nomad 1500L where it was stuck in gear. and the prior owner did not maintain this bike very well. I thought it was an easy fix but after replacing Clutch fluid and checking Clutch function that side of things is fine. I am being told it would be a full rebuild of the motor to swap motor out. In speaking with a friend they said a 1600 motor would be best. Is it true a swap from 1500 to 1600 is possible and what model motors exchange better with the Nomad 03 best. Any info is welcome. Thank you in advance.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum!
I'm sure that you will get the correct info that you need from our knowledgeable members here.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 07-27-2017, 01:06 PM   #3

I have to ask a stupid question.

You do know that your bike is designed NOT to shift gears unless it is rolling, right?

Most of us have stopped in a gear other than first and found out the hard way.

Have you tried shifting with the rear wheel rolling?

Put a bike jack under it or a floor jack under the bag support behind the rear wheel and lift the bike high enough to get the wheel off the ground.

Put a jackstand under each rear crashbar, start the bike, let the wheel turn and try shifting.

What gear is it stuck in?

It makes a difference.

Where are you located in NC?

We may be able to point you in the direction of another Vulcan rider who can help.

Best of luck.
VBA 936

Old 07-27-2017, 01:36 PM   #4

Smile

I live near Charlotte have the bike at Pro Motorcycle shop now. The previous owner neglected the bike as the Oil and Clutch fluid were in sad shape. The bike sat for a year not ridden. When I saw this bike and looked through the forums usually it is a simple fix by replacing fluids and unclogging any debris that may have settled in the clutch reservoir. The bike will not shift into any gear and the original owner towed it back with the issue. It currently is on a lift and the clutch side was taken apart and they could not get the internals to move freely.
I am being told a full rebuild is required by 2 people and the price seems extreme versus a full motor swap out that I am considering if I can locate one that will fit my 1500L Nomad.

Old 07-27-2017, 01:46 PM   #5
Sr. Contributor

I have had a bike or two over the years that I needed to rev the motor while rocking the bike back and forth. The Nomad will be stuck in the gear you stop it and can be a bugger to get it rocking, throttling up and working the clutch at the same time. But it works sometimes. If your bike is an FI you will need an FI engine to make the swap easier.
Welcome and the best of luck to you.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #6

Welcome to the forum Mondo!!! Once you get that beautiful beast up and going, you are going to enjoy every mile you spend in the saddle...
Looking forward to meeting you in the wind soon.

VROC #36658

-viajar con pasiĆ³n

Old 07-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #7

Thanks for the information. I have the Fi 1500L motor and hear that they are very enjoyable. For the price I paid with issues I am leaning toward the rebuild so that I can then know what happens from there is on me.

Old 07-27-2017, 08:06 PM   #8

If it runs good, I would try getting it out of gear, I'm in Lincolnton, so I'll try to help you. just shoot me a message, I'll see if I can help. and best of all, I don't charge.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:42 PM   #9

I bought the bike not running due to it being stuck in gear from an older gentleman that offered a great deal since he had medical issues. Bike sat but it tries to start but gas needs to be drained and plugs and stuff done. The mechanic will be back on Aug 2 to give me a better idea of what I am looking at as it is a nice bike with only 30k

Old 07-27-2017, 09:44 PM   #10

if he gets it running, I bet he can get it out of gear

Old 07-27-2017, 10:01 PM   #11

I will have him try at least and see what happens. It would save me time and the stress knowing it was simple like that.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #12

we can hope for the cheap fix

Old 07-28-2017, 11:57 AM   #13

There aren't many things that will keep the trans from shifting between gears.

First, if the bike IS NOT moving it WILL NOT shift gears.

MaKaw built in a set-up, I think it's basically 5 ball bearings that when the bike is moving, centrifugal force moves them to allow the shifting process.

If the shifting linkages are gummed up with grime and dirt, they are known not to function.

Behind the front bevel gear cover there are small pieces that can, and do come out of alignment and prevent shifting.

Then there is the trans itself, where a bent shift fork can get to the point where it breaks and a small piece lodges in one of the 13260 (insert letter) moveable gears and prevents the shifting process.

Any debris could lodge itself in on of the 13260's and keep it from sliding.

These slide left and right to engage and disengage the different gears.

And as a constant mesh trans, everything is spinning all the time, so if one is not able to move properly, none will function.

The clutch will not prevent the trans from shifting.

First try getting the rear wheel turning, then see if it will shift, if not, then go at the linkages.

Don't be too quick to pull the engine, it probably doesn't need to come out.

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/k...ange-mechanism

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/k...m-shift-fork-s

http://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/k...n-vn1500-l3-l4
VBA 936

Old 07-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #14

Thank you for the advice I will have to let the guy doing the work know when he gets back as it is in his shop under surgery. Bike sat for over a year so I know some cash has to be invested to bring this bike back to life.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:21 AM   #15

If you're talking about Jeff out in Waxhaw, I've heard good things about him.

But, even the best sometimes need a little help with the eccentricities of these Vulcans.

I remember once, Frank the owner at Victori CycleWerx in Fort Mill had a Meanie on a lift rebuilding a final drive.

After he told me what it was doing, I told him it sounded like the front bevel gear bearing.

Well, after he got it back together and it was doing the same things, he asked me about the front bevel gear.

MaKaw came up with some strange things and incorporated them into our bikes.
VBA 936