Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 07-20-2016, 10:55 AM   #1

front wheel size 21" vs 23"

So the time has come to upgrade the front end on the new bike, I've looked around and searched and couldn't find a good thread with decent info on both size wheels. so here is what I "think" I know, please feel free to ad any valid info you have. I already know i'll probably catch a little heat from other member but it's to each there own.

21" bolt right up for the most part, either make your own spacers or Roaring Toyz sells them for $150 plus shipping. Use the OEM rotors or have A/M rotors made to match the wheel for $400+ this option can be had as a complete bolt on kit from Roaring Toyz for under $1800 Using stock rotors.
Again please feel free to post any additional info and I'll update this original post

23" would require new triple trees that are available thru several vendors, fender and obviously wheel rotors etc. http://www.bveneydesigns.com/products-1.html this guy seems to have everything needed to convert over to a 23" I priced it out and it's about $3000 with matching rotors, trees fender and wheel OR $2600 using stock rotors.

Now to me the size of the wheel is an appearance thing only, me personally I like the look. is there anyone on the forum running a 23" or bigger that can attest to the ride ability with the larger front wheel? from the research I've done this is suppose to be a bolt on deal and the trail numbers are very close to stock. any input would really be appreciated thanks

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #2
Advanced Member

21 for sure....less hassle, still great looks, and likely better tire selection and other benefits aside from doing the 23. Roaring Toyz is a great company and can get you set up quick and easy.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
21 for sure....less hassle, still great looks, and likely better tire selection and other benefits aside from doing the 23. Roaring Toyz is a great company and can get you set up quick and easy.
thanks for the input, I wouldn't buy direct from roaring toyz, the same wheel and tire can be had for $1300 and the spacers from them $150 I'm sorta a cheap ass when it comes to Mod money LOL

Old 08-08-2016, 04:59 PM   #4

A related question: looking at the pictures of Vaqueros with 21" wheel/tire combo and reading Roaring Toyz ad that their 21" kit is a straight bolt on, can anyone tell me from experience if the handling is significantly different or tough to get used to and if the kit raises the front end higher than stock?

Old 08-17-2016, 02:35 PM   #5

Talking to one of the guys at Roaring Toyz, it would be recommended to shift the forks up to compensate for the larger overall diameter of a 21" wheel with minimum sidewall tire mounted. They will swap in a 19" wheel for slight savings which, in order to keep the stock diameter the same, would have a 130/60/19 tire...coincidentally the exact same size as the current Road Glide/Street Glide front set up.
Has anybody seen a Vaquero with a 19" wheel? There doesn't seem to be any out there yet with one since a google of it only gets you pics of 21" wheels.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #6

I really like that look. I know a lot of folks do not like it. I hear big wheel and useless ride etc. To each there own. I like the 21 on the Vaquero. That blue ride on his site is real nice looking.

2006 Nomad 1600 "Big Irish"
BatWing Fairing
12" KST Mayhem Dresser Bars
Demon Cycle Mirrors
Tunes supplied by Pioneer and Polk
Exhaust courtesy of Vance and Hines and Big City Thunder

Old 08-17-2016, 05:54 PM   #7

I just installed my Rotation Industries 21'' wheel last night I will post some pictures tomorrow.

Old 08-27-2016, 12:59 PM   #8

Big fan of Rotation Industries; Don is the man! Here's my 21" with "floating rotors" (ignore the wood under the frame, still sorting out the air ride and need to shorten the kickstand)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0811161956.jpg (99.2 KB, 57 views)

VBA Member # 02057

Old 08-29-2016, 12:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlock View Post
Big fan of Rotation Industries; Don is the man! Here's my 21" with "floating rotors" (ignore the wood under the frame, still sorting out the air ride and need to shorten the kickstand)
I had a great experience w/ Rotation I will be using them again when I do trees and a 23". did you use a kit/company for the air ride?
Vance & Hines Twin Slash
Kury Iso Grips
Passenger Boards
Rotation Industries 26" Juno
BadDad 26" Wrap Fender
BVD Raked Triple Trees
Rear Loweing Kit

Old 08-31-2016, 12:06 AM   #10

The 21" looks nice. I am have been thinking about it myself but I also am wondering if anyone knows how much it affects the handling of the bike.

Old 08-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandraptor View Post
The 21" looks nice. I am have been thinking about it myself but I also am wondering if anyone knows how much it affects the handling of the bike.
I've gotten about 400 miles on mine with the 21, the handling isn't compromised much at all. it does seem to fall into the turns a bit heavier but I expected that considering the tire width difference and you feel the grooves in the road a bit more.

my prior 2 bikes were a Yamaha Stratoliner that had the 16" front and a Yamaha Stryker w/ 21" so I was use to the difference.
Vance & Hines Twin Slash
Kury Iso Grips
Passenger Boards
BadDad 26" Wrap Fender
BVD Raked Triple Trees
Rear Loweing Kit

Old 08-31-2016, 11:04 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmighty View Post
I had a great experience w/ Rotation I will be using them again when I do trees and a 23". did you use a kit/company for the air ride?
I got a kit recommended on here from ebay but it's horrible...working on replacing a lot of it.

VBA Member # 02057

Old 09-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlock View Post
I got a kit recommended on here from ebay but it's horrible...working on replacing a lot of it.
from rotation? I went directly to there site, what are you having to replace?
Vance & Hines Twin Slash
Kury Iso Grips
Passenger Boards
BadDad 26" Wrap Fender
BVD Raked Triple Trees
Rear Loweing Kit

Old 09-01-2016, 07:25 PM   #14

No, Rotation stuff is awesome and Don was a pleasure to deal with!
I was answering your question about the air ride...the lines and fittings were suspect. I ordered all new upgraded lines, fittings and a digital air pressure gauge with remote pressure sensor (no air line to gauge=no leak worries) from a shop that's been building bagged cars and trucks since the late 90's; when installed it will be a bullet proof system. I'll be glad to share all the info when I pick everything up; Monroe MA785 Shocks with custom bushings and this rig is the way to go in my opinion and this should come in under $400 if you just get the shocks and piece it together.

VBA Member # 02057

Last edited by xlock; 09-01-2016 at 07:28 PM.

Old 09-01-2016, 09:40 PM   #15

Oh gotcha sorry about that, I'd like to do air ride I just don't have the patients or time to piece it all together. One you get yours ironed out maybe you can shed a little more light for fellow 1700 owners. That wheel you picked was .y second choice bit wife liked the Thor one lol.
Vance & Hines Twin Slash
Kury Iso Grips
Passenger Boards
BadDad 26" Wrap Fender
BVD Raked Triple Trees
Rear Loweing Kit