Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 09-12-2016, 08:48 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
But think how many butt kicking contests you could have won.
Won't that depend on if he was the kicker or the receiver?

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-13-2016, 09:15 AM   #32
Advanced Member

At my age, I think I'd have to worry more about rust from leaks.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 09-13-2016, 09:26 AM   #33
Sr. Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
OK, good idea Greg.
Here is the post, names were changed.
The pic refereed to in the text was not posted with the article.

Tomorrow is Joe's funeral. I'm planning on riding there. I feel rather conflicted on this. Pardon the rambling nature of this.

Joe was a friend. We didn't agree on everything. Morally, we differed. Organizationally, we differed. He helped me with planning our annual event the past couple of years by planning ride routes and scheduling the shooting range. He took over planning this year's and next year's event as I was/will be occupied with military. I didn't agree with some of the decisions, as they've lead to a loss of attendees in the past.

He was an avid no-helmet rider. I'm an avid no-helmet-law kind of guy, but I always wear mine. For me, it's about responsibility to my family. I feel the same with seat belts and car seats - they're personal responsibility and should not be legislated.

Joe turned left in front of a moving truck. He may have had a green arrow and the truck a red light, but I don't know for sure. They collided and Joe was thrown from the bike and hit his head on the pavement. As you can see from the picture, it wasn't that hard a hit - the bike is repairable. I firmly believe that had he worn a lid, he'd be telling us how either he or the driver was a dumbass for running a light.

As some of you know, I've had two accidents. Both were single-vehicle incidents and both were caused by errors on my part (speed, front brake on gravel). Both resulted in damage to my helmets. The first was so slight that I didn't even know it happened until days later when I took a close look at it. The second was quite pronounced.

In July, another friend had an accident on his restored 78 Kaw. Terry is not sure why, but it got into a tank slapper at about 70 MPH. He spend about 3 weeks in the hospital and has numerous surgeries ahead for his knee and wrist. He has given up riding for good. He's lucky to be alive. It was a MUCH worse accident than Joe's.

Anyway, I feel like I'm going to a funeral that shouldn't be. Joe should be getting out of the hospital and nursing broken bones and bruises, like Terry. I should feel sad. I feel angry. Not at the truck that hit him, but at Joe for not taking responsibility for his kids, the kids and grand-kids of his girlfriend (whom he developed a relationship with) and for his friends.

Yes, I believe that God calls us home when it's our time. I also think God gave us free will and that plays a part. I think that God puts us into situations where our choices have consequences. I don't believe he's got a book up there with times and dates and "bingo" no matter what you do, you're done. To me that goes against free will. And if we don't have free will, then we're all puppets in a sick, twisted play.

Anyway, I'm going to ride to a funeral tomorrow. I might punch the corpse in the face. Out of respect for his family, I won't. But, I'll want to.

Imagine if you had ABS

Scanned, inspected and approved by the NSA
BMWMOA 162849
BMWRA 41335

BMW: When you care enough to ride the very best.

My Motorrad Blog
My Motorrad YouTube

2009 BMW R1200RT

Previous bikes:2007 Nomad | 2001 Vulcan 800 Classic | 1984 GPz750 | 1978 KZ1000A2

Rallies: Custer '09|Prairie Du Chien '10|Crescent City '11

Old 09-13-2016, 10:40 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch View Post
Imagine if you had ABS

Scanned, inspected and approved by the NSA
What the hell is that supposed to mean
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 09-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwhite00 View Post
I have an avid no helmet guy at work and I asked him one day why he doesn't wear one. He says to me - WHAT IS THE FIRST THING THAT HITS WHEN YOU ARE IN AN ACCIDENT? - I said your head - HE SAYS NO! YOUR CHEST! - I just walked away. :(
interestingly enough....i had a close friend who died that way on his motorcycle...hit a pole and his heart burst...he was wearing a helmet...

i guess if you ask you deserve what you get....if you just mind your own business you dont have to worry about it...

but if it saves just one life...turn in your guns yet?...

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 09-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladenbullet View Post
but if it saves just one life...turn in your guns yet?...
OMG! I hope that we're not going to turn this in to a debate about guns now. Enough of those on this forum already.

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 09-13-2016, 04:53 PM   #37
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
I look at it this way.

Riding a motorcycle is vicariously dangerous. Most of us know this.

Having said that if a truck turns into a guy/gal on a motorcycle who's not wearing a helmet and he/she dies of a head injury the driver of the truck is no more responsible for the death of the biker than the biker him/herself.

Not wearing a helmet places no extra responsibility on the truck driver if you get killed. No involuntary or involuntary manslaughter charges should stick. Problem is, is that the truck driver given the information that the death was avoidable if a helmet was worn has to live with that for the rest of their life. That's penalty enough.

Tough logic unless you thing long about it....

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 09-20-2016, 06:05 PM   #38

Been riding since I was 15, 59 now. Never had an accident on a bike. How quick one can happen was driven home for me this weekend. Heading home after a nice ride and approach an intersection with a car stopped on the right of me at a stop sign, I'm on the highway. Just as I get to the point where I cannot possibly stop in time, he pulls out in front of me.

I don't care how much you try to prepare yourself for such situations, your first reaction is "I don't believe this is happening!"

Lots of things run through your mind, including " god I am glad I'm wearing the full face helmet and the jacket with armor."

Almost 45 years of close calls kicks in and the tires squeal and it fishtails and you modulate the brakes and the hardest thing of all... LOOK WHERE YOU NEED TO GO! Do you know how hard it is to not look at a car you are about to hit? Hardest part of the whole ordeal was to force my eyes to look past the rear of the car. I missed the back bumper by maybe 3 inches. Only reason I did was he kept moving.

All is well that ends well. It will stay with me that in the middle of all that, I had time enough to be grateful that I had protection on if I hit the ground.

Helmet on has always been my choice.

2006 Nomad 1600
Dobeck TFI, Chuckster intake, stock exhaust, coasters
VBA #02973

If life gives you lemons, add gin and tonic!

Old 05-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #39

Haven't been riding long, at least not compared to most of you out there, but I wear a full face helmet and I say a prayer before I ride and one when I'm done. One prayer is for "asking" and the second one is for "thanking".
"Gettin There"