Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 07-30-2017, 12:33 PM   #16

Jeff came highly regarded to be able to get this bike back to life. He just relocated and is out until next week. I am trying to do my homework as I know a little about mechanics etc... But this bike sat for a little over a year and was ridden by an older gentleman so I don't see where he may have ridden this bike hard but I know he did not do maintenance like he should. Hopefully I get answers this week as I have been wanting to hit the highway on this Vulcan that one of my friends says will keep me hooked on the model. I usually ride Honda or Harley and the change will be a little new for me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #17

MAS won't steer you wrong....need to elevate the bike then, then try to shift the gears, while turning the rear wheel with the clutch pulled in. Pulling the clutch in, the trans still will shift, clutch operates between the engine and trans.
You will need to pull the saddlebags, get her raised up, tie your clutch handle back, rock the rear wheel while trying use the shifter with your other arm. She should shift while the rear wheel is spinning just as MAS told you.
Shift all the way thru the gears, listening as you rotate the rear wheel. Rock her back and forth to listen for bearing, slider/shifting fork noise, etc.
If no joy, which means you can't move the shifter lever, pull all the shifter linkage apart, along with the left side cover, clean/checkout/grease all shifting components, even your rocker assembly.
Now, try to shift while your rotating the rear wheel....you should have something now....
Once you get her into neutral, do a complete fluids change/pull and clean your plugs/reinstall, then see if you can get her to fire up....
We'll be waiting in the wings.....
Coming back from Sturgis....

If at any time things feel gritty and rough, don't spin rear wheel anymore. Drain your engine oil, pull the filter, and fill the crankcase with some diesel fuel, and just let her set for several days.
Then, try to spin the trans with the rear wheel (don't force it, take it easy) while trying the shifter....
Could be some slight surface rust on the sliders and forks, maybe a rust giblet in a bearing, but this 'douche'ing out' will help with the diagnosis.
Try a rocking motion at first, then try to spin both back and forth....
When you drain your oil, look for any metallic particles or chunks....if none, thats a really good sign....

---------------------
Don't start no schit,
there won't be no schit....
*My Sarcasm is directly proportional
to the amount of Stupidity involved*
---------------------
VBA#03239
VROC#37400

VRA
---------------------
2014 Vaquero
2001 Nomad FI
2003 Street Glide (sold)
1500 Meanie, fresh rebuild (sold)
90s BUBF Bobber (sold)
2001 UltraCycle FatPounder (Sold)
1975 HD ElectraGlide (Sold)
1982 Kawasaki Z1 Chopper (Sold)
Suck It Up & Ride!

Last edited by DragonLady58; 07-30-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Old 08-06-2017, 07:51 AM   #18

Well my bike is under surgery, pulled motor and have half the engine apart. Found the service that was suppose to be done wasn't antifreeze was original and several oil changes skipped. Have to get to the Shift drum today to get the final list of parts to order. Glad I have friends that are around for good advise. According to my guy it should come back to life and on the roads again. It just comes back to maintenance and knowing that they need TLC to keep us rolling.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:36 PM   #19

preventive maitenance, is the easiest to perform, neglect it, and it gets harder and more expensive.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #20

Got motor out and found it missed a few oil chanages and metal was in the final drive assembly and it had original antifreeze. My friend Dale works miracles but has bike to where we can get her back to rolling about $450 or so in parts and slap some rings and new timing chains in while we are in it. I should have a final bill in a week when we get the parts and build it back. At least i know what I will be starting with this time and go forward. God is always good to me to have Dale to work his magic on my bike. Thanks MAS for the advice it helped Dale get to the issue and we are heading forward to progress.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #21
Advanced Member

Following this one as I will inspect my VN1600 I put $250 down on last week. It's the bike shown in my profile, 29k miles, lots of goodies, clean title for $1250. But I'm told it won't shift to 2nd gear. I'll do all the work needed myself.