Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 01-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #46
Advanced Member

My Decade of Nomads

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgringo
Although I never met Dan, he came accross as a real likeable guy in his posts.
Not to everyone, unfortunately. And particularly if he sensed an authority figure.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-27-2011, 04:56 PM   #47

My Decade of Nomads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho (High Plains Drifter)
(jaws theme here) He's baaack.

NOT.

Who dragged this out of the pile??
That would be "Slots". ::)

"Taranis" and the Lovely Ann
KawaNOW Oldschool #885
His: 2006 Nomad
Hers: 2008 VN900 Classic LT

Old 01-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #48

My Decade of Nomads

Dan, great memories for you and great reminders of similar experiences I've (we've) had. I started riding again going on 13 years ago, that's when I bought my '98 Classic. I bought my '05 Nad almost 2 years ago. Other than getting used to a different (and heavier) bike I couldn't be more satisfied. I look forward to many more years and miles on my "new" ride!

In '98 six of us made the trip to a rally the Bridgeport, Ca.. That was the beginning of a yearly "Guys Ride". Most of the riders I travel with are on HD's but also included are Hondas, Beemeres and my trusty steed. We have been in hail, fog, snow, rain, thunderstorms and one time rode through 2 swarms of grasshoppers while in Nevada. Some of us have stretched the limits of our tank's capacity.

I've do all the trip planning, averaging about 2K per trip. It's difficult to get many more miles in as some riders can only spare a week's vacation or have other commitments. We average 14 riders per trip. And yes, we are looking forward to this year's ride, no destination yet. A bit of math will show, collectively over 330,000 miles in those years. Last year as I was thinking about these trips and the mileage, I could come up with only a hand full of what could be considered "breakdowns"..... flat tire, out 'o gas, dead battery, ignition switch corrosion and a carb problem!!! Not bad considering 90% of the riders are on HD's. That actually says a great deal as to how far HD has come. Note: with this many riders, it ain't the stoppin', it's the startin'!! Kinda like herding cats!!!!

I had to chime in here since you reminded me of the things we've seen, the people we've met and the great memories created while out on the road. It's not so much the miles ridden but the memories and camaraderie that comes from such adventures. Here's to many more years and miles, thanks again!!!

Old 01-27-2011, 05:58 PM   #49
Mega-Contributor

My Decade of Nomads

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman47
Dan, great memories for you and great reminders of similar experiences I've (we've) had. I started riding again going on 13 years ago, that's when I bought my '98 Classic. I bought my '05 Nad almost 2 years ago. Other than getting used to a different (and heavier) bike I couldn't be more satisfied. I look forward to many more years and miles on my "new" ride!

In '98 six of us made the trip to a rally the Bridgeport, Ca.. That was the beginning of a yearly "Guys Ride". Most of the riders I travel with are on HD's but also included are Hondas, Beemeres and my trusty steed. We have been in hail, fog, snow, rain, thunderstorms and one time rode through 2 swarms of grasshoppers while in Nevada. Some of us have stretched the limits of our tank's capacity.

I've do all the trip planning, averaging about 2K per trip. It's difficult to get many more miles in as some riders can only spare a week's vacation or have other commitments. We average 14 riders per trip. And yes, we are looking forward to this year's ride, no destination yet. A bit of math will show, collectively over 330,000 miles in those years. Last year as I was thinking about these trips and the mileage, I could come up with only a hand full of what could be considered "breakdowns"..... flat tire, out 'o gas, dead battery, ignition switch corrosion and a carb problem!!! Not bad considering 90% of the riders are on HD's. That actually says a great deal as to how far HD has come. Note: with this many riders, it ain't the stoppin', it's the startin'!! Kinda like herding cats!!!!

I had to chime in here since you reminded me of the things we've seen, the people we've met and the great memories created while out on the road. It's not so much the miles ridden but the memories and camaraderie that comes from such adventures. Here's to many more years and miles, thanks again!!!
Dan Lund left Kawanow a year or so ago and won't be back.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 01-27-2011, 09:43 PM   #50
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
My Decade of Nomads

Guess some people don't realize he isn't on the forum now. Although when you pull up his profile he is still listed as active. Or at least he was the last time I checked.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-28-2011, 12:27 AM   #51
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
My Decade of Nomads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman47

Friggin Hitlers!! ;)

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 01-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #52

My Decade of Nomads

VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #53
Advanced Member

My Decade of Nomads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
TC speechless? The apocalypse MUST be imminent!

Old 01-28-2011, 01:33 PM   #54

My Decade of Nomads

I'm glad this was brought back up. I must have missed it on it's first time around and it was definitley an enjoyable read.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 01-30-2011, 02:36 AM   #55

My Decade of Nomads

Put another token in and pull the arm. Slots was diggin in the archives at 3 some in the morning. Didn't hurt my feelins to bring up some memories. When I make it to the porch and the proverbial rockin chair, I wonder if I'll remember what you wrote.... probably not but hopefully I'll rock away feeling like I shared in a good experience with some great people.

Robert(skeeter)Dozier
07 Red&Titanium Nomad
81 Suzuki 850GL
KawaNow pre#

Old 01-31-2011, 12:01 PM   #56

My Decade of Nomads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjack
Sounds like that's a whole story all by itself! LOL! Wish I had been around for the excitement.

Every board has it's own character (and characters) , doesn't it?

"Sun on my face, wind in my hair, sound of my bike in my ears and peace in my soul..."
VBA Member #01514
2008 "Ultra" Nomad 1600, Candy Plasma Blue

Old 01-31-2011, 12:04 PM   #57

My Decade of Nomads

Yeah it was exciting alright Lets not go there. ::)
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 01-31-2011, 06:45 PM   #58

My Decade of Nomads

::)

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417