Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 02-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Top Contributor

radiator rock screen vibration

Well after 3 yrs of trying to stop my radiator from making a tinny vibration sound on deceleration in 1st or 2nd gear, I CURED IT! I had tried 2 other suggestions on previous threads to no avail.

here is my fix. i remove outer shroud(4 bolts). Took 2 Bud Lite bottle caps and hammered them with a hammer on concrete lightly til about only 2/3 as thick. painted with hi=temp black. Slide one in with the rough edges to the front at 3pm and at 9pm. Put back on shroud and go RIDE!

the rock mesh is vibrating on the radiator fins. Im sure you could use other items but since I had just a few beer lids around, it was a cheap fix(FREE).

Ride Easy!

Dennis

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2009, 09:30 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to dabull

nice.......

Old 02-28-2009, 09:34 AM   #3
Advanced Member

I just took mine off. I've been riding without it for about a year.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #4

very ingenious idea Dennis, and the price was right too. ;)

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 02-28-2009, 12:18 PM   #5

Did you have to remover the radiator to get it off? I have the chrome outer cover that has a screen welded in it and I'd like to remone the stock screen. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablo
I just took mine off. I've been riding without it for about a year.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 02-28-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
Top Contributor

the stock screen will come off ridemslow with just 4 screws and a crooked screw driver,LOL

Old 02-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #7
Sr. Contributor

Bud Lite ??? That crap might work on a Hardley Ableson, but really you need Imported beer caps for a the best fix. The bike is imported so to match you need imported beer caps see!

Doc you better get this one right..

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 02-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
Top Contributor

You made me laugh mac, thats a rare bird. thx, Hope your doing OK in this economy and this winter. my best regards. :-)

Old 03-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

What economy? I'm busted flat... WInter on the other hand is doing very well whether or not I like it. Yesterday and Saturday I was dropping dead white pine to supplement the shops wood stove fodder, on snow shoes.

I am getting lessons is dropping trees wearing snow shoes, which is a first time for me. i tried packing down a run way, for a place to get away, and around the tree victim tree, but that idea didn't work.

The main idea was to be able to run in my boots a few steps to get away on a 45 degree angle. Well the first time i tried that I ended up with frosty Nads... I still didn't hit earth down there where ever that is.....

I am getting fast running in snow shoes though... Got a cord each day, which isn't bad considering ever bit must be cut to stove size just to drag it to the road (that damnned 1/2 mile dirt drive way) i think the dirt is still down there somewhere under the ice.

And then last night we got more snow.. I can't tell you how much yet since it ain't stopped snowing yet, but there is 6 inches now and it still is coming.. 3 rd storm in a week..

What I need is all you guys to come and take this stuff somewhere. I am running out of room to store it, and my worst fear is Al Gore will tax me on each bloomin flake....

All that talk about the glaciers going away ya know.... Well I know where they are going! Right into my door yard is where! I think this is major storm 14 about now... I can count push backs as individual piles and these are better than 50 yards long by so wide as they can be.

In fall I pusshed to nearly the woods line in the field, and not the bankings have encroched on my bike in the trailer, the pine shed and the barn, plus the wood work lot, and are making it hard to access the wood for the stove.

Each pile is higher as i try to push them back with the bob cat too. I just need more room to store this stuff.... Come Get it TODAY!

06 1600 Nomad
Just call me Mac
molon labe come and get it

Old 03-02-2009, 03:14 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc (Lonewolf)
Well after 3 yrs of trying to stop my radiator from making a tinny vibration sound on deceleration in 1st or 2nd gear, I CURED IT! I had tried 2 other suggestions on previous threads to no avail.

here is my fix. i remove outer shroud(4 bolts). Took 2 Bud Lite bottle caps and hammered them with a hammer on concrete lightly til about only 2/3 as thick. painted with hi=temp black. Slide one in with the rough edges to the front at 3pm and at 9pm. Put back on shroud and go RIDE!

the rock mesh is vibrating on the radiator fins. Im sure you could use other items but since I had just a few beer lids around, it was a cheap fix(FREE).

Ride Easy!

Dennis
I hope you used fresh beer caps and not just something lying around. Would make the project alot more enjoyable.