Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #1

Question Side-by-side Comparison - Ivan and without Should I?

Greetings,
I am in the fortunate position of having two Vaquero's. One IVANized, one not. While not exactly the same bike and in the same condition, there might be some value in a side by side comparison of the differences.

I have NOT done this comparison yet. I am asking if your guys have thoughts, questions, or things you would like me to track. I AM going to Ivanize the second bike. I am WILLING to delay the Ivanizing, to do a side by side for the Forum to put any last questions to bed.

The wife and I are getting ready to take a 3500 miles trip the first part of August. We will be riding the same roads, in the same weather, seems like a perfect opportunity to track:
MPG - GPS calculated not MPGuesser
Engine Temps in different conditions
Ease/Difference of running interstate speeds
Ease/Difference of pulling hills once in the Appalachians and Smokies
????

Agreed: The bikes are not exactly the same:
2012 Vaq 25000 miles, gutted Nomad Exhaust.
vs.
2015 Vaq 600 miles completely stock.
Different wind shields and different rider weights and styles. Although our styles are very similar and we will be riding together. There are always differences.

SO, anybody have ideas for this side-by-side?
Anybody have recommendations on what and how to track something?

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #2
Advanced Member

We're headed there too August the 19th
Around the Boone nc area!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-03-2016, 08:30 AM   #3

Forget about it - Have Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokier View Post
Greetings,

SO, anybody have ideas for this side-by-side?
Anybody have recommendations on what and how to track something?
Yea - forget about it - any results will only be a distraction to the Roads and Scenery you will miss while trying to determine that her windshield is taller, has more wind resistance and yours is shorter but does not overcome the difference in weight between the two riders, not to mention One bike being broke in and the other is still on the tighter side. Hey honey - how hot are you? - I mean on the Temp Gauge? Mine is 1/2 a needle width above the first hash mark above 1/2. Where is yours? I see the gauge say's I've got 3/4 a tank of gas - That qauge? It has a white needle, Right? Or is it the one on the left? Can we stop, I've gotta Peee.... Any results are subjective to the difference between riders, Not to mention that Male/Female divide we all experience. Honey, Is this thing supposed to Vibrate at 64 1/2 MPH? I think the tire is about to explode.

Good Luck - Have a Safe Trip.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #4
Advanced Member

You would get better results pulling the ECU from one bike and putting it in the other to take out any inconsistencies with each bike. It would also be cheaper to do that instead of getting both ECU's flashed by Ivan.

Old 07-03-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
Advanced Member

Why do the comparison when we all already know well the difference in how the bikes run? Stock settings on ecu's on any fuel injected bike from the factory have all these restrictions in them to satisfy the EPA, the govt. etc. I wouldn't wait a minute to flash any injected bike that Ivan or any other tuning expert can do. It makes sense to have a much better running bike doing this procedure and even may prolong engine life along with rewarding performance. I would do the "other" Vaquero ASAP.
Chuckster's tear drop intake, Freedom true dual racing exhaust, Ivan flash, Clearview windscreen, Corbin gunfighter seat, Clockwerk's hugger style front fender, Kawasaki KQR backrest and luggage rack, kuryakyn iso grips and rear passenger boards, front highway pegs, revolutionspeed clutch and primary covers and reservoir and switch box covers and Kuryakyn skeleton rearview mirrors.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-03-2016, 10:50 AM   #6
Advanced Member

Everyone doesn't know the difference - they all just think it runs better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlknvlcn60 View Post
Why do the comparison when we all already know well the difference in how the bikes run? Stock settings on ecu's on any fuel injected bike from the factory have all these restrictions in them to satisfy the EPA, the govt. etc. I wouldn't wait a minute to flash any injected bike that Ivan or any other tuning expert can do. It makes sense to have a much better running bike doing this procedure and even may prolong engine life along with rewarding performance. I would do the "other" Vaquero ASAP.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:55 PM   #7

Thanks for the input guys. I thought I'd offer since I have the opportunity. All of the points have merit. I will flash before the trip and simply enjoy the ride! Urah!
We will returning to Iowa on the 13th. Otherwise would have made an effort to meet up while out and about!
Wytheville, here we come!

Ride Safe,
Smokier

Old 07-04-2016, 08:08 AM   #8

The only thing I would keep up with is the total miles ridden for each bike, and total fuel used on the trip for each bike. I bet that over 3500 miles, there would be a fair difference in both categories.
Hope y'all have a safe and dry trip.

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 07-04-2016, 11:02 AM   #9

Agree with VulcanE re: fuel economy. I just got back from a 5,016 mile trip on my Ivanized 1700, what I discovered is that the MPG's went from about 32 average to 34.4292. Tested by gallons of gas (145.69) divided into miles driven (5016) = 34.4292

Ran much better, used cruise crossing Sierras without downshifting, A first for this bike

hank43

Old 07-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #10

I can't believe you guys are riding from Iowa to ride in the Appalachian Mountains. I live about 30 minutes from Boone and the Blue Ridge Parkway in the foothills and I only get up there to ride maybe once or twice a year. I guess I don't appreciate what is in my "backyard".

I just put my Ivanized ECU back in my bike today and I'm excited to do some riding.

Have a safe trip and enjoy.