Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 07-13-2016, 11:45 AM   #1

Loading a voyager for touring

Have a new to me 12 voyager that I will be taking for an extended camping road trip in a few weeks. Normal stuff: tent, sleeping bag, clothes, etc. I'm not sure about where to secure bungees/tie downs and don't want to damage paint or plastic parts. I've looked at the bike several times but not seeing dedicated anchors? Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2016, 01:31 PM   #2

No specific Tie Down Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txtriathlete View Post
Have a new to me 12 voyager that I will be taking for an extended camping road trip in a few weeks. Normal stuff: tent, sleeping bag, clothes, etc. I'm not sure about where to secure bungees/tie downs and don't want to damage paint or plastic parts. I've looked at the bike several times but not seeing dedicated anchors? Thanks!
I think the Kawasaki engineers thought that the Saddle Bags and trunk would be enough for anybody. Thus they did not put any Tie Downs or even a Helmet Hook.

I have a Rack on the back of my Voyager which I attach bungies too.

Here is a suggestion - Pack things in Gallon Zip Lock bags. Example : a rain coat in a Gallon bag takes up a ziplock bag of room, a rain coat in the saddle bag takes up as much room as you let it. Here is a picture where we took a 25 day journey (we stayed in Motels).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20160530_075521319.jpg (100.6 KB, 52 views)

Old 07-13-2016, 01:49 PM   #3

Use plastic zip ties.
Put them loose around a support or what you want to bungee to and put the bungee hooks thru the zip tie.
VBA #01084

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
"

Old 07-13-2016, 04:26 PM   #4

You can get additional rails that attach to the top of the saddle bags and trunk....use those as attachment point.

2014 Vulcan 1700 Wind Therapy "Vaqueroger" Vaquero ABS - KlockWerks 9" shield, RacynRay ISO Grips, Luverne Kawi Lowering Kit; Vance & Hines Exhaust; Thunder Mfg intake; Ivan's ECU Flash; Mustang Wide Touring Saddle; XM/iPod adapters; Voyager trunk on Wompass Rack; Randy's 6.5" adapters; Rockford Fosgate amp; Polk Audio speakers; custom painted by Kevin Norton.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:37 PM   #5

I put a Kuryakyn Universal Bag Mounting Kit on my 2011 Voyager. I took off the passenger seat, cut the mounting kit so it would fit and not inhibit the locking mechanism for the seat and put the passenger seat back on. It sells for about $50.00 but worth every penny as far as I'm concerned. I then strap anything I want to it and it's nice and secure. It doesn't get in the way of the saddlebags or the shocks. Have used it for 4 years now on all sorts of trips and no problems.

2011 Blue/Silver Voyager
2008 Blue/Silver Nomad (Gone)
2001 Red/Silver Nomad (Gone)

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 07-13-2016, 09:23 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Get some Arno Straps and run under the passenger seat.

The chome rails for the saddlebags are not a good place to tie stuff down.

I have a t-bag that I strap on the passenger seat.

Passenger grab rails from Marvellas will work.

Hitch with luggage rack if your tent is long.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 07-13-2016, 10:36 PM   #7

Thank you for your input. Good suggestions. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2016, 12:10 AM   #8

I have a Harbor Freight Tag-Along trailer and a Chuckster's trailer hitch. Haven't pulled the trailer behind the Voyager yet, but if a Honda Sabre 1100 can pull it, a Voyager should have not problem at all.

If you do get an HF trailer, the very first thing to do is clean out the junk they call axle grease and barely put any in, and fill it with some real axle grease.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:16 AM   #9
Advanced Member

I've done lots of touring and camping, left saddlebag holds tent, sleeping bag, mattress, pillow and tool kit. Right side holds clothing. Tank bag holds shoes, gloves, sandals. Trunk has iPad, camera, rain gear and enough room remaining to lock my helmet inside.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:26 AM   #10

I agree with Garry that on a solo jaunt there's lots of room.

We did a two up camping trip last summer and space was at an absolute premium. Neo Air mattresses helped, but if I did it again I might get a trailer hitch and install a rack for extra space. I think Zoom45 uses this set-up.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:30 AM   #11

See post 12 in this thread:

http://www.vulcanbagger.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=14461