Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 05-30-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Advanced Member

Mesh Jacket?

OK all you hot weather riders, I need your opion.
I bought my NAD last November, also bought a Cortech Denim Jacket and love, But.....
Now that the weather is warming up (hit 93 today), I need something that offers more ventilation than the Cortech?
Who's wearing mesh, and what's you opinion?
Any thoughts

Thanks,
Sweating in St. Augustine (AKA Reaper)

Web Slinger's Speedo face, Chuckster's Air Kit, Jay's LED Tail light, dshelly's throttle mod, Kuryakan Deep Bezel lens, Headlight Modulator, Kuryakan Run/Brake/Turn, DWG 2" speakers and amp, Stebel Air Horn

Fire & Iron, Red Knights, ROK, VBA, VRA, VROC, IAFF

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Mesh Jacket?

I have a PowerTrip Mohave mesh jacket I bought a year ago from newenough.com. It's all mesh, and does come with a rain liner, which I have never used. It's a nice jacket, the quality is good and it fits me well. It has CE armor in the elbows, shoulders and spine. I have worn it in temps of over 110 degrees, if you are moving, the mesh makes it bearable. It also keeps the direct sunlight off your skin.

Blistering in Phoenix.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #3

Mesh Jacket?

I use a tourmaster intake jacket comes with a rain liner and a thermal liner. have used both liners was dry with the rain liner and rode down to 35 degrees with the rain and thermal liner in
VBA #477
2007 Red and Silver Nomad (traded 4/10/2014)
2013 Blue and Black Voyager

Old 05-30-2009, 10:14 PM   #4

Mesh Jacket?

I've had mine for a couple years now and it works well. Don't know the brand, but I wish it were another color other than black. I had a panhandler come up to me at an interstate exit ramp and tell me I'm stupid for wearing all that gear when it was so hot. It was about 92 and while moving it wasn't too bad.

Reaper, the Helmet Shop in Daytona is a good place to go to look at what is out there. They are good people and have good prices. Tammy got her Firstgear jacket there.
2003 BMW K1200LT "Magic Carpet" DOA 11/7/2015
VBA #00291
IBA # 41995
DS #320
'08 Elkins, WV; '09 Helen, GA; '09 Custer, SD; '10 Stanton, VA; '11 Maggie Valley; '12 Townsend, TN; '13 Estes Park; '13 Blairsville, GA; '15 Eureka Springs; '16 Helen; '18 Custer, SD

Old 05-30-2009, 10:33 PM   #5
Advanced Member

Mesh Jacket?

I have a Teknic and like it a lot.
It didn't come with a liner but I can see where that would have been nice but mine is big enough that I can wear a sweatshirt under it when necessary.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #6

Mesh Jacket?

Ken and I have Tourmaster sonora air jackets. Sound very similar to Bigdaves tourmaster intake(3/4 mesh jacket). Great ventilation and visiability....very comfortable...lots of pockets in mesh jacket and more pockets in the thermal liner...oh has the rainliner and thermal liner.....has reflective piping and we went for the visibility...got the day glow color. I used to have a red mesh jacket (FirstGear) and this one is much cooler and more comfortabel.. My husband really likes the way the sleave liner fastners are on the Tourmaster. There is two fastners on each sleeve and they are colored coded (one white/one black) so the sleeves liners will not get twisted while inserting. Got at local dealer...knocked off list price. Tip: We do most of you business at two dealers (Honda for his Goldwing and Kawasaki for my Nomad) both places will give you discounts but both places say you have to ask to get discount.

FYI ...the July 09 issue of Rider magazine has an article titled "Riders Summer Jacket Buyers Guide'. Write ups on 16 jackets. Hope this helps. Cool riding to ya and keep the mesh off the road! ;)
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 05-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #7

Mesh Jacket?

I had a tourmaster intake. Bought it to be big enough for all of the liners, then with them out it felt to big there are snaps and stuff to adjust but I just didn't like it. I have Joe Rocket mesh and a Scorpian the joe rocket lets more air in than any other jacket I have owned but it is almost all mesh instead of "Mesh Panels"

Old 05-31-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
Advanced Member

Mesh Jacket?

I have a "Joe Rocket" mesh ballistic jacket with removable armor and a removable rain jacket. It is great in the hot weather.

Old 05-31-2009, 03:37 AM   #9
Advanced Member

Mesh Jacket?

Mesh jacket or any jacket with armor not my thing. I do wear a leather jacket when it's cold but that's to stay warm, now that summer is here, it's put up in closet.
VBA #00077

Old 05-31-2009, 06:50 AM   #10

Mesh Jacket?

I have an AlpineStars with the removable and breathable rain liner, about $130. Very happy with it and breathable aspect of the liner is important. Cooler than a t-shirt with liner out (and with some air moving) and good and dry down to about 50F with the liner in. Black only

Old 05-31-2009, 08:04 AM   #11

Mesh Jacket?

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/cata...t-p-269_3.html

Old 05-31-2009, 09:26 AM   #12

Mesh Jacket?

I love my tour master jacket. with both liners. here in michigan you get big weather swings. so these are very versitile. I've been in really cold and really rainy and really hot (for this nectk of the woods) and it works great.. 4 the money I think they are hard to beat.. however I am starting to look for leather as well.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:52 AM   #13

Mesh Jacket?

AH.......so many choices......and helping the economy to boot! ;)
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Old 05-31-2009, 02:41 PM   #14

Mesh Jacket?

I live in St. Augustine and know about the heat. I bought a Fieldsheer Air Flow mesh jacket and love it. Check out motorcyclecloseouts.com. It's like wearing a screen door and some of the styles are good for cruising folks, not too sportbike looking.... Most have a liner for rain or cooler weather. My advice is that black is too hot and defeats the purpose. Look for me with the silver and black jacket on the black 08 Nomad. Take care

Old 05-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #15

Mesh Jacket?

My wife and I both wear mesh with armor in the cool to hot temp. I wear a firstgear brand. It has a liner that extends the use before I have to switch to my tourmaster. Now if you want to stay really cool here is what you do. Get yourself a cooling vest. The best deal we found was cyclegear for about $30. if I remember right. Do your homework and get the kind you just soak in water for about 15 min. or so. Now the key is to wear a wicking shirt like coolmax under the vest, then your mesh jacket on top of that. It will keep you so cool that your skin will be cold to the touch. We carry a large trash bag and extra water for when we have to resoak them. It only takes a few min. and you're good to go. The time it last depends on how hot it is and how fast you are riding. Sometimes it last a couple of hours before a resoak. This works so well it's hard to believe.