Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > Vulcan Nomad/Vaquero/Voyager

Old 08-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
I ordered a set of modified Kurys from Ray last week. They were in my mailbox in just a few days (Florida to Washington even). I just finished installing them...and believe it or not, I actually did it myself.... The throttle side went pretty quick...and I only needed my wife just to help hold things in position while I got the cables in place. The clutch side grip was the biggest PIA. Just blipping the throttle I could tell a big difference....gonna take it for a test ride here in a few minutes. I'll get back to you shortly...!
Looking forward to hearing from you.

RACNRAY

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #62
Top Contributor

OMFG....All I can say is that Ray's throttle mod is absolutely....WINNING....

Ray....I hope you have a patent on that thing, it is everything everyone says it is and then some. I took some photos of it, but I won't be posting them...you deserve everything that comes your way as a result of your ingenuity. I was astounded at the improved throttle response and how quickly you can get your rpm's into the power band. This is how these bikes should come off the showroom floor. I haven't even installed all my other performance goodies yet, but once the Air/Fuel/ Exhaust equation meets up with Ray's throttle mod....this thing should be an absolute monster! I would say this...if you only do one performance mod to your 1700....this better be it...it is that substantial of an improvement and will help your stock setup run like an entirely new and different (better) bike!

Thanks Ray for the great product and fast service, you are truly one of the good guys!
VBA #0691
2017 HD Ultra Limited Low
2013 Victory Cross Country Tour
2012 1700 Vulcan Voyager
2008 1600 Vulcan Nomad
1997 Vulcan 800 Classic

"Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional"

Custer 2009|Kalispell 2010|Cortez 2010|Crescent City 2011|Kanab 2012|Canmore 2012|Estes Park 2013|Orofino 2014|Lake Tahoe 2015|Red Lodge 2016

Last edited by Netnorske; 08-12-2012 at 07:37 PM.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netnorske View Post
OMFG....All I can say is that Ray's throttle mod is absolutely....WINNING....

Ray....I hope you have a patent on that thing, it is everything everyone says it is and then some. I took some photos of it, but I won't be posting them...you deserve everything that comes your way as a result of your ingenuity. I was astounded at the improved throttle response and how quickly you can get your rpm's into the power band. This is how these bikes should come off the showroom floor. I haven't even installed all my other performance goodies yet, but once the Air/Fuel/ Exhaust equation meets up with Ray's throttle mod....this thing should be an absolute monster! I would say this...if you only do one performance mod to your 1700....this better be it...it is that substantial of an improvement and will help your stock setup run like an entirely new and different (better) bike!

Thanks Ray for the great product and fast service, you are truly one of the good guys!
WOW...I'm glad to hear! You are right...the delay these skoots come with makes no sense, none!

I am humbled and grateful for your comments, I can't tell you how much they are truly appreciated !! :)

RACNRAY

Old 08-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #64
Top Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACNRAY View Post
My mod was originally designed to negate the programmed-in lag the ECU has on the 1700's, and it does just that. It will also engine improve responce to throttle operation on all skoots previously mentioned.

Tightening throttle cable adjustment does not and will not alter the ratio of throttle plate opening to throttle grip rotation.
So, on the non-TBW bikes, it's basically a 1/4 turn throttle?
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-16-2012, 01:39 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjava View Post
The secret to Rays mod is this:
PFM
Pure Friggin Magic

Well guys and gals if figured out the PFM . So I am going to make my own . Its actually really simple, but to do a quality job you'll need access to some machine tools.

Don't sweat it Ray, I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag. However, you're defineatly charging plenty for it IMHO.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 08-16-2012, 02:58 PM   #66

This should be interesting, get the popcorn and beer ready.

Gene Chestnut
Dover, DE
USAF 1968-1995
VBA#01761
2007 Nomad 1600
Black and Titanium

Old 08-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #67
Top Contributor

No big deal as long as dshelly doesn't try to sell the same thing Ray is making. If I could fab my odds and ends, I wouldn't pay extra for someone elses labor. Fortunately for the great vendors on site, I can't fab shit so they get my business.
Patriot Guard Rider
USArmy 1987-1990
2021 Can Am Spyder RT

2018 Can Am Spyder RT Limited - SOLD
2014 Nomad - SOLD
2012 Victory Vision - SOLD
2007 Black Nomad - SOLD
VMC #9367
VBA #1860

Old 08-16-2012, 03:35 PM   #68

I've never seen Rays Mod, and even if I did, that would be in poor taste to do. I'm not like that. ( Or am I ???$$$). No, But.....all you have to do is get online, do a little research and waah-la. This aint rocket science.

Dave "(dshelly)" Shellenberger
2014 Harley Ultra Classic
2007 1600 Nomad (Black)
Shellenberger Machine
Belgrade, MT
Various Bagger Member (Harley Chapter)
VBA # 2395

Old 08-16-2012, 04:03 PM   #69

Hey Ray,
just want to check. if i want this mod on Black Kury grips will you get the grips and just charge me for the whole package or do i need to buy them and send them to you?

Also will this affect me wanting to mount heaters under my grips?

thanks

Old 08-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #70

I have an 08 nomad 1600. I ordered Rays throttle mod w the Avon grips. Should b waiting 4 me when I get back. I'll let you guys know how it works on the 1600. It may take a week or 2 as I'm gonna have the oil n final gear oil changed, install reckless fairing, change my clutch spring probably to Barnett and rays throttle mod at the same time. Making it mine n lovin this ride
VBA #02113
Antlers, Oklahoma '12
Blairsville, Georgia '13
Antlers, Oklahoma '13
Eureka Springs, Arkansas '15

Old 08-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivanurse View Post
hey ray,
just want to check. If i want this mod on black kury grips will you get the grips and just charge me for the whole package or do i need to buy them and send them to you?

Also will this affect me wanting to mount heaters under my grips?

Thanks
pm sent
THANX
RACNRAY

Old 08-25-2012, 09:08 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshelly View Post
Well guys and gals if figured out the PFM . So I am going to make my own . Its actually really simple, but to do a quality job you'll need access to some machine tools.

Don't sweat it Ray, I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag. However, you're defineatly charging plenty for it IMHO.
I made my own, but only because I like to do that stuff. I've never seen Ray's mod or known anyone that has it on their bike, but it is a fairly simple idea. Simple is great when you're talking mechanical devices. It really works slick.

As far as what Ray charges it must be fair or nobody would pay the price. I won't be selling the mod because I'm not in the motorcycle accessory business. I don't want to be responsible for somebody's throttle going haywire because I only thought I knew what I was doing.

Thanks for the idea Ray, your secret is safe with me. MAGIC.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutman View Post
I made my own, but only because I like to do that stuff. I've never seen Ray's mod or known anyone that has it on their bike, but it is a fairly simple idea. Simple is great when you're talking mechanical devices. It really works slick.

As far as what Ray charges it must be fair or nobody would pay the price. I won't be selling the mod because I'm not in the motorcycle accessory business. I don't want to be responsible for somebody's throttle going haywire because I only thought I knew what I was doing.

Thanks for the idea Ray, your secret is safe with me. MAGIC.
I wouldn't really call it his idea. This mod and other similar modifications to the throttle cam are very common in the sport bike industry and have been for ever. Most just don't see the need on a cruiser.

I think keeping it a "secret" will only last so long.
VBA #1051 (Former President)

Old 08-26-2012, 03:09 AM   #74

I did a throttle modification to one of my old GSX-R's by cutting a piece of PVC pipe that was the same width as the throttle cam and just fit over the top of the throttle cam, tapered off the ends...then super glued it and countersunk two small screws on either end of it, which in turn slightly enlarged the circumference of the throttle cam.

One of these days when I get around to not riding my bike and feel like taking the throttle grip off the bike, I'll take it down to the hardware, find a piece of PVC that fits in a similar way and do the same thing.

Boom, secret's out
Downed Bikers Association#1063

Old 08-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #75

What I find funny is that I NEVER CALLED IT A SECRET!!

When I bought my skoot in April of 2011 it was the first 1700 Kawi I had ridden. In reading about these 1700's I learned that the 1700'S were ride-by-wire. Owning my own HI-PO m/c shop I have ridden MANY sportbikes over the last few years that are and have been ride-by-wire. So during the first few miles of owning this skoot I could tell there was an issue with acceleration that I was not happy with.

When the time came to get my skoot up on my dyno one of the things on my list was to research into ths lag or delay. Owning and operating mu own DynoJet Dyno since 1993 has enabled me to use it as a very important tool, and what I have learned thru the years has added to my shop's excellent reputation.

During this first dyno session is when I was able to document this delay thru the use of a non-standard and specific type of dyno run, along with visual inspection of the components.
Another aspect of my business is that I have been a motorcycle specific machinist since 1979 whan I started boring and sleeving cylinders. I am fortunate enuff to have machine shop equiptment in my shop that allows me to fabricate, modify and in many cases develop goodies for our skoots.

And that is what I did. I posted my results from that dyno session and what the improvements by the old seat-of-the-pants dyno method were. Here is where the seed of offering this to other's was planted.

Since I was a late comer in my ownership of my 1700 I was of course was NOT the first to notice this delay problem and was inundated with requests for my throttle mod, as obviously some 1700 owners had been experiencing this same lack of performance on their skoots. At that time it WAS my "secret", but I eventually realized that due to the amount of incoming requests that I could offer this to the public, helping out other 1700 owners and of course my shop.

I must remain grateful as so far everyone that has recieved my mod has had positive results, and that is all that counts. No doubt the income from this mod has helped my small 2 man shop financially but it cannot and never will be a major source of income.

So why am I posting this long response? First to explain how this mod came about, the process I followed and the results from those that have recieved this mod.

Secondly, the only thing I can lay claim to is that I noticed the same delay others had been noticing and fortunately I have the shop,the dyno,the machine shop equiptment and the time to research into this and come up with a solution for those who desire better performance from their skoots.

I am EXTREMELY grateful for those that have posted their positive comments as that seems to show this mod works. Those that want or need to lable it anything else, or claim to know what the "secret" is I have no control over. I am just a guy like everyone esle here striving to survive in this economy. As a small business owner I have EVERYTHING I OWN tied up in Cycle Race Tek and my goal is to be here for a long time to come.

RACNRAY

Last edited by RACNRAY; 08-26-2012 at 02:09 PM.