Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #1

ABS question

There are members on here, you know who you are, that like ABS and there are members on here, we know who we are, that don't.
I am going to quote a sentence from my latest edition of Motorcycle Consumer News and then would like some of your opinions on the statement.

Also our highly skilled tester, Danny Coe, can often brake with just enough force to keep the ABS from engaging on many models, often reducing stopping distance.

This tells me if you slam on the brakes with ABS the stopping distance is longer.
What do you guys think?
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-23-2011, 05:40 PM   #2
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
There are members on here, you know who you are, that like ABS and there are members on here, we know who we are, that don't.
I am going to quote a sentence from my latest edition of Motorcycle Consumer News and then would like some of your opinions on the statement.

Also our highly skilled tester, Danny Coe, can often brake with just enough force to keep the ABS from engaging on many models, often reducing stopping distance.

This tells me if you slam on the brakes with ABS the stopping distance is longer.
What do you guys think?
When your goal is to stop in the minimum amount of distance in a controlled environment, you may be able to stop quicker than with ABS. When a logging truck crosses in front of you on the highway and it becomes a life or death situation, you aren't going to have the presence of mind to precisely work the brakes or the luxury of a controlled environment and the ABS is worth every penny you spent on it.

That's what I think.

I was leading a group across Tucson last Saturday and approaching an intersection, the light turned yellow. Had I been on my Nomad, I would have continued. In fact, had I been riding alone, I would have continued. Not wanting to break up the group, I hit both brakes and the ABS stopped me without locking the tires up, even when I crossed some thick painted lines on the road.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Last edited by cactusjack; 11-23-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:06 PM   #3

You don't think you would have been able to stop on the Nomad without entering the intersection?

When I had my scare last time I rode I was scrubbing off speed pretty quickly. I did lock the back wheel for an instant. I still got slowed enough to just swerve behind the SUV's rear bumper.
With ABS , if the stopping distance is further, I'm thinkin' I may not have slowed enough to miss the back bumper.
I may be wrong as I have never had a bike with the ABS system.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #4
Mega-Contributor

Quote:
You don't think you would have been able to stop on the Nomad without entering the intersection?

When I had my scare last time I rode I was scrubbing off speed pretty quickly. I did lock the back wheel for an instant. I still got slowed enough to just swerve behind the SUV's rear bumper.
With ABS , if the stopping distance is further, I'm thinkin' I may not have slowed enough to miss the back bumper.
I locked my Nomad up more than a few times. I'll admit it, I stopped more to test the ABS system as to avoid breaking up the group.

I don't care what Motorcycle Communist News says, I will never have another bike without ABS. I'm confident if my Nomad had ABS I'd still be riding it today.

The point I was trying to make was a skilled rider in a controlled environment has the freedom to attempt different types of stops without peril. If I am stopping hard enough to engage ABS or lock up the tires, I am trying to avoid a peril. There's a big difference.

I'm willing to bet he didn't stop in 35 feet to avoid hitting a wall at 38 feet.

Now before someone (like you) says that ABS is a crutch for the weak, I say that's hogwash. I look at it as a fail-safe. You have to be getting on the brakes pretty hard before ABS kicks in. Otherwise, they are just normal brakes.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 11-23-2011, 07:18 PM   #5

before someone (like you) says that ABS is a crutch for the weak,

I'm shocked you think I would say something like that. I wanted to put a wink face here but it is gone. This new smiles suck.

I knew what you were saying about a controlled situation opposed to a real world situation. You are right about that.
I just never had a bike with ABS and probably never will as my next bike will probably be a 2008 low mileage Nomad.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 11-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #6

ABS is a great feature, Yes a PROFESSIONAL rider/driver may be able to stop quicker in a controlled environment, but for the other 99.9% of us, ABS WILL stop you quicker (and let you maintain control of the vehicle) under almost all conditions

Cliff "VulcanE" Evans
2005 Blue & Silver 1600 Nomad
VBA # 320
VROC # 20381

Old 11-23-2011, 09:25 PM   #7

Ive never had it come on yet on any of the ABS bikes Ive ridden but my brother loves it on his bike, especially in wet weather.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #8

ABS brakes on wet road conditions makes it well worth the extra money. On my Victory it is standard equipment. Some people still think that Carbs are better than FI. Some people think that drum brakes are better than disc. Auto and motorcycle companies develop systems for the average person, not for "highly skilled testers". I will never have a vehicle without FI, disc brakes and ABS. JMHO.

2011 National Rally
2012 NCR Rally
2012 Antlers Rally
2013 National Rally
2013 Antlers Rally
2014 NC/SC Rally
2014 Antlers Rally
2015 VRA/VBA Rally
2016 NCR Rally
2016 Antlers Rally
2017 Antlers Rally
2018 NC/SC Rally
2018 Antlers Rally
2019 Antlers Rally
2020 Antlers Rally
2022 Antlers Rally
2023 Antlers Rally

2021 Indian Roadmaster Limited
2022 Indian Roadmaster

Old 11-23-2011, 10:14 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Quote:

ABS stopping distance is further if you apply the brakes hard enough to lock them up. Without ABS if you appley the brakes hard enough to lock them up you are more than likely going down or going to experience a further stopping distance because sliding takes longer to stop as well.

In your scenario the ABS would not have kicked in on the front tire, but would have on the rear tire keeping you from sliding and having to release the brake. In your scenario ABS would have been advantageous.

2010 Vulcan Voyager, 2007 Vulcan Mean Streak, 2009 Vulcan Nomad

Old 11-24-2011, 01:41 AM   #10

I'll never have another bike without ABS.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:00 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

Why wouldn't you want the most advanced
safety equipment available?
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 11-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loafer View Post
Why wouldn't you want the most advanced
safety equipment available?
Some people are "Old School"

Speaking of old school, these new smileys suck.
VBA #9

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 11-24-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
My understanding of ABS brakes is that they keep the wheels from locking. Just as they are about to slide the brake system releases just enough to prevent that. That seems like a good thing to me.

Old 11-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #14
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to blowndodge
ABS system do not skid the tires period... a very safe feature if your in a situation that you "grab and hold on" moment...

There are two types of Harley riders. Those that trailer them and those that push them.

The most Interesting Man in the World
"Find the things in life you don't do well and don't do those things"

Member # 0005

Old 11-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #15

I agree that abs systems stop faster! That being said, I wonder what the race bikes have, their technology trickles down to us road guys?? Just a thought!