Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #1

2 Up

Very rarely do I have a passenger. The other day I took my hubbie to get his bike that was at a shop in another town 30-40 miles away.

The only thing I notice was at first when taking off I wanted to keep my feet down until rolling good (nervous). As I got more comfy with during the trip I quit doing this and could tell it was actually much better to go ahead and put them feet up on the floor boards as taking off from stop.

Here was our other problem...(any suggestions) I let my hubbie get on the back seat before I got on the bike. Once I got on I could not stand it up off the kickstand without him leaning to the left. It was my idea for him to get on the bike first as I was afraid that if I got on first and stood the bike up that his climbing on causing all the shifting weight that I might not be able to hold the bike up. Does this sound right? Let him get on first?
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
2 Up

Probably best to let him get on first. You can do it either way. If you get on first and then him I would keep the side stand down even though you have the bike upright. This would prevent the bike falling to the left. You would only have to worry about the right side that way. Once he is on and settled then push the side stand up and start the bike up.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 10-03-2010, 11:49 AM   #3

2 Up

I usually get on first and right the bike, then have the passenger mount. I can do it the other way, but it does take a bit more effort to get the bike off of the kickstand. I'm a bit of a hairy beast, so it's not a problem, but it just seems easier if I'm on first. And the older I get, the more "easy" I seek! :)

Audiogooroo - Daryl Porter
Colorado Springs, CO
VBA #248
VROC #17261
1999 Grn/Grn Nomad

Old 10-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #4

2 Up

Hopefully you can stand straight-up with both feet on the ground. If you can, then get on first -- upright the bike. Then stand-up with the inside of your thighs stabilizing the bike along with holding the bars tightly.

Instruct your passenger to NOT get on until you tell them to. Also, let them know it is not a horse... so they don't have to jump-up and onto the seat from the foot-board. Tell them to get on easy-n-gentle.

Oh my... Sounds like I am talking about something else!!!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."

"You can have your own opinion, but not your own facts."

Former VBA NCR Assist Regional Leader
Formerly: 2004 1500FI Bronze Nomad: 2009 & 2014 HD Ultra
Current Rides: 2017 HD Ultra Limited & 2011 Can Am Spyder RTS-SE
Attended: VBA National Rallies 2009, 2011, 2015; VBA/NCR Regional Rally 2010, 12, 14, 16 and several rides throughout with regional members.
VBA Member #652
HOG Member #3935417

Old 10-03-2010, 08:57 PM   #5

2 Up

Think I had in the past stood the bike up and let the passenger get on...maybe we should try it several times both ways with the bike in the yard encase I have a problem. Practicing that would probably get a lot of strange looks from the neighbors. :-[
Kawanow Member #23
Hubbie-Ken '10 Metalic Black Goldwing

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 10-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #6

2 Up

I like to get on the bike first and have it upright. Its a lot easier than trying to lift it off the sidestand.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 10-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #7

2 Up

Heres an idea. Let Ken drive your bike when these situations come up. Thats what Cindy and I do.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]

Old 10-04-2010, 07:10 AM   #8

2 Up

Most of my riding is 2 up. I mount first and wife gently loads without moving bike too much. She always asks if I am ready before she puts her weight on the bike. I have no problem raising the bike from the kickstand but I am twice her size.

I think it is important that the operator can hold up both the bike and rider should the bike become unbalanced left or right when stopped. How far left or right is a safety question for you and your passenger. I have seen riders who could barely support the motorcycle if it moved slightly left or right of balanced, when stopped. To me, that is a once false move (or front brake) and we're are down on the pavement scenario. I would pass on that passenger opportunity.

The Nomad is a beast to support when only slightly off balance. Add another human with their weight high in the back, and it can be even tougher. Congrats on having done it, and recognizing the challenge/gravity of the situation. :)

Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #9

2 Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Cat (TC)
Heres an idea. Let Ken drive your bike when these situations come up. Thats what Cindy and I do.
I'm with you on this one TC.

Leave side stand down? You have to pick it back up then and if you're struggling as it is, you might lose you balance and go to far to far to keep bike upright.

I also think that if the passenger weighs more than the driver on a motorcycle it throw the whole balance off. You know light on steering or the front wheel.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #10
Top Contributor

2 Up

I'd be a little leary to have the passenger get on and and move back to the rear seat with only the kick stand down. I already get off the bike with the wife still sitting on the back seat and didn't like that neither.
74,010miles
VBA #299
Her's 10 900LT 36,700

09 Bath NY.
10 Lake George NY.
11 National Maggie Valley NC.
12 Pa Wilds (Wellsboro) Pa.
14 Lincoln NH.
17 National Lake George NY.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Sr. Contributor

2 Up

I was told a long time ago, to mount the bike and stand it up. Then to sit and put my legs out like outriggers. When ready, tell the rider to mount using their left hand on my left shoulder, pushing down on my shoulder to help them keep their balance. Then they put a foot on the peg/ floorboard lifting themselves up and swinging a leg through to the other side, then sitting down. [Not dropping down]. All the while trying to keep their weight to your shoulder and back. With practice [who cares what the neighbors think] my wife has gotten quite good at it. I think it is safe this way. IMO
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 10-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #12

2 Up

Wife and I have a system. I leave the kick stand down when I mount. Then I brace with both legs so it will not get off balance, while applying the front brake. The bike is primarily balanced on the kick stand, but I also have both feet down bracing hard, wife waits until I give the ok, then swings up and on.

Then I stand the bike up and put the kick stand up.

When we stop to dismount she waits until I get the kick stand down and front brake applied, then I brace with both legs again, and she gets off, then I get off.

I also have started using the trick of turning the front tire to the right, it makes standing the bike up easier.

We also can mount when I have it balanced and the kick stand is not down, almost same system, she never mounts before I give her the ok. And I always test both feet for gravel, sand or other objects that might cause me to slip or lose balance.

Never had a problem using this system so far.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #13

2 Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by loafer
I was told a long time ago, to mount the bike and stand it up. Then to sit and put my legs out like outriggers. When ready, tell the rider to mount using their left hand on my left shoulder, pushing down on my shoulder to help them keep their balance. Then they put a foot on the peg/ floorboard lifting themselves up and swinging a leg through to the other side, then sitting down. [Not dropping down]. All the while trying to keep their weight to your shoulder and back. With practice [who cares what the neighbors think] my wife has gotten quite good at it. I think it is safe this way. IMO
Same way we do it except Rita is tall enough to not have to use the floorboard.

Oldest Saloon In Nevada
http://www.pioneersaloon.info/

"Sin City Stan"
Henderson, NV
VBA #01004
VROC #29365
2004 Nomad 1500L5 +100 "The Bike"
2009 Nomad 1700 (past)
2004 Vulcan Classic 800 (past)
2010 Cortez - 2011 Crescent City - 2012 Kanab - 2013 Estes Park

Old 10-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #14

2 Up

Here's my $0.02 worth.

You should mount first. Be sitting on the bike with both feet firmly planted on the ground and a good grip on the bars. I suggest making sure the kickstand is up first because you may be uneasy about putting it up with someone back there.

make sure that the passenger floor boards are both down before they attempt to get on.

if you are right handed I would have them mount from the left side so your strong arm is on the load bearing side of the bars.

you should always tell them when they can get on and off they should not attempt either until you say its ok.

instruct them NOT to use the passenger back rest to pull themselves up on the bike. That will pull you down every time, trust me on this one. I have first hand experience with this one. they can use it for balance if needed, just no pulling on it.

they should put their left foot on the floorboard (mounting on left side) and then lift their right leg over the seat, more like step over the seat with a single smooth motion. they should not try to swing it over the sissy bar.

once their foot is on the other floorboard they should gently sit down. not plop down with all their weight. also instruct them not to shift around and make any sudden movements that goes for THE WHOLE TIME they are back there. they need to understand that they can have a huge affect on the bikes handling if they make a lot of sudden movements. especially when slowing to a stop, when stopped, or making turns.

they should also not be rigid like a board either. I tell them to relax and go with the flow and that I'm in control of the lean angles. just go with the bike and don't try to make it lean or try to stop it from leaning.

it also good to work out how they should signal you to get your attention. you don't want them scaring the crap out of you and causing an accident.

That's my routine for new passengers and I've added to it over the years as problems have cropped up.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:24 PM   #15

2 Up

Again, your whole problem is solved if you just let Ken drive.
VBA #9

2011 Victory Kingpin mine
2013 Victory Boardwalk -hers

[LEFT][COLOR=#000000]
[SIZE=4]