Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Motorcycle Safety/Riding Techniques

Old 05-17-2010, 04:49 AM   #1
Advanced Member

Accidents

Receiving Motorcycle accident news from around the country every day and seeing the remnants of a MC accident this weekend I wanted to post this.

Out of 11 reports from Friday and Saturday this weekend, something struck me. The breakdown:

From Saturday: six accidents reported, ALL of them the driver loosing control hitting trees, parked cars, and ditches, all dead.

Friday:
Three of the five reported, same as above with only two accidents involving another vehicle with one of those involving a CHP officer on a call and is in critical condition

The accident I saw Saturday near Mohican River area in Ohio, a bike laying against a guardrail, on a curve, the fate of the rider unknown.

Nothing in common with ages, helmets or not, just seems for whatever reason riders aren't paying enough attention to what they are doing or being careless. Pay attention and Ride safe!!!

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #2

Accidents

+1. Had one like that here a couple of weeks ago.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
Mega-Contributor

Accidents

Around here, most of them are right-of-way violations - ie: car turns left in front of motorcycle.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 05-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #4

Accidents

I also think a few can be attributed to rider error, either to fast for the conditions or just lack of skill.
It doesn't take a lot of skill to make any vehicle move down the road under ideal conditions, the years of practice come into play when the unusal happens, and you have sudden changes occur unexpected.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 05-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #5

Accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerfrank
Terrebonne Parish (my home parish) is leading all parishes (counties) in Louisiana for fatal MC crashes. Many are alcohol/speed related (mature riders on cruisers) and new inexperienced riders (youth) on sportbikes with no Motorcycle Foundation training. Very few if any have been caused by right of way violations by other vehicles. And just for the record, none were reported to be riding on those dangerous car tires.

2016 Electra Glide Ultra Limited CVO
Palladium Silver / Phantom Blue
110 cu in SE

2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited (Traded 6/22/16)
Tequila Sunrise / HD Orange
Vance & Hines true dual headers
Rinehart 4" slip ons
Screamin Eagle Super Tuner
Screamin Eagle Stage 1 intake
Dyno tuned
H.O.G.# 4514015

2007 Nomad 1600 (Traded 6/23/12)
VBA #482

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 05-17-2010, 06:50 PM   #6

Accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by bankerfrank
Terrebonne Parish (my home parish) is leading all parishes (counties) in Louisiana for fatal MC crashes. Many are alcohol/speed related (mature riders on cruisers) and new inexperienced riders (youth) on sportbikes with no Motorcycle Foundation training. Very few if any have been caused by right of way violations by other vehicles. And just for the record, none were reported to be riding on those dangerous car tires.
That does bring up an interesting point. I wonder if an insurance company would try to wiggle out of a claim if they noticed a CT on a bike involved in an accident.

Norm Ward
2008 blue / silver nomad
kawanow / VBA #01136

Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #7

Accidents

I am with you all here, attention and error. We took a ride last weekend from Greeneville TN to Lexington KY. Although we tried to stay off of the interstate sometimes it can't be avoided. My wife mentioned that at a couple of points she noted that my head seemed to be constantly moving, wating the mirrors and traffic around us. She said she also noted that when brakelights came on, way ahead of us, that she felt me throttle down a bit and move in the lane for obvious "way out" positions. These things for some reason were very obvious to her on this trip and she said she felt very comfortable knowing that I was so attentive and kept us in a safe position the entire time. You must keep ever vigilant in order to avoid these morons who are oblivious to us, proactive, and able to avoid them and there actions, reactive, especially when it's not just the rider you are trying to keep safe. It's becoming ever more dangerous out there. Stay alert and stay alive. Be safe.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:24 PM   #8
Advanced Member

Accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinskeep
My wife mentioned that at a couple of points she noted that my head seemed to be constantly moving, watching the mirrors and traffic around us....
Nice of the passengers to be paying attention too. GF noticed on a ride last year that "you ride different on roads you don't know don't you?" Yup! Nice to see them paying attention too except now with a communication set I have to listen to it while riding

Old 05-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #9
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Accidents

I think a lot of the accidents are due to rider error. Too fast for conditions, not knowing the road and being unprepared for the gazillion things that can happen. You do have to watch all around you and watch those mirrors. Slow down if you don't know the road and if the traffic is heavy.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 05-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #10

Accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
I think a lot of the accidents are due to rider error. Too fast for conditions, not knowing the road and being unprepared for the gazillion things that can happen. You do have to watch all around you and watch those mirrors. Slow down if you don't know the road and if the traffic is heavy.
That was me! Wasn't anyone within half a mile when I rode into that ditch. Just me with my head up my ..... ::)

Charlie "Ballast" Krogh
2005 1600 Nomad "Tangerine Dream"
VBA #999
VROC #29355

Old 05-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #11

Accidents

In the Navy a majority of accident reports say to fast for conditions on a curve.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:12 AM   #12

Accidents

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdarby
In the Navy a majority of accident reports say to fast for conditions on a curve.

I'll bet that the reality of most of them is not as stated. Though too wordy, it should probably say:

Rider lacked the skill or concentration to make the turn at selected speed. Bike could have made the corner at selected speed with a competent and focused rider.

The short version would be:

Bike could make the corner, rider couldn't.