Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1500 & 1600 Nomad

Old 01-19-2023, 04:25 PM   #1

Carb rejeting help needed

Ok i have a 1500 nomad i need help selecting the right jet kit.it has cobra slash out exhaust with the baffles. And a k&n filter intake filter. Was hoping you guys could keep me from having to pull my hair out to figure out that the right jet kit for it. Any help would be appreciated

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-19-2023, 04:33 PM   #2
Advanced Member

Check the web sites for Dynojet and K&N jet kits, they may have a guide for your bike and model. It depends too on how smog stuff is still on the bike or how much has been removed.

https://www.dynojet.com/jet-kit-for-...can-1500-2167/

How's the weather in MS? I've been working in Louisville a bunch, was there just back in early December.

Last edited by andyvh1959; 01-19-2023 at 04:35 PM.

Old 01-20-2023, 04:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasam View Post
Ok i have a 1500 nomad i need help selecting the right jet kit.it has cobra slash out exhaust with the baffles. And a k&n filter intake filter. Was hoping you guys could keep me from having to pull my hair out to figure out that the right jet kit for it. Any help would be appreciated
No need for any kIt. Just stick a 170 maIn in it. Buy a 168 and a172 while you are at it,and try that too.

Old 01-20-2023, 11:09 AM   #4
Advanced Member

There you go. THe voice of experience is what these forums are good for.

But what about the idle/low throttle jet and the midrange jet? Upsize the idle jet for easier starting and less popping on decel. Raise the needle in the carb slide for better response? Upping the size of the main jet really only helps 1/2 throttle to wide open throttle. Most of our riding is at 1/4 throttle.

Old 01-20-2023, 12:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyvh1959 View Post
There you go. THe voice of experience is what these forums are good for.

But what about the idle/low throttle jet and the midrange jet? Upsize the idle jet for easier starting and less popping on decel. Raise the needle in the carb slide for better response? Upping the size of the main jet really only helps 1/2 throttle to wide open throttle. Most of our riding is at 1/4 throttle.
I should have mentioned that. all of my emissions were ripped off, and and a K&N fitted on the right, and i had a set of custom made, straight through stainless pipes. I got the impression that he had done the same. My mistake. Mine picked up, and revved out, much better for it. But then, i never rode anywhere at 1/4 throttle though. Not even up the driveway

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 01-21-2023, 07:11 PM   #6

Do you have Ethanol blended into your fuel like we do in Texas? That's important.

Old 01-22-2023, 05:22 PM   #7
Advanced Member

I'm lucky. Up here in WI I have the option to easily buy whole fuel premium, and at some sites I can even buy mid-grade whole fuel instead of the E10/E15 crap forced on us by lobbyists and government (I'll stop the rant there right away).

Funny though, I am much further from the oil of the gulf, and MUCH closer to the corn based ethanol of Iowa, yet Wisconsin offers a much better market access to whole gas.

Old 01-23-2023, 12:36 PM   #8

In Texas it seems to be the more populus the area is the more likely we get blended fuel. I live in a county that shares a border with the county that contains Houston, so we get blended. Many of the rural areas have whole but even that's hard to find without going way out. There's so many people and urban sprawl that you never seem to leave a metro area.
We have a Gas Station / rest stop chain named Buckee's, they are something else but a few have Ethanol free super available at the pump. I'm fortunate enough to be about 15 miles from one on country roads so it is available if needed for stuff like boats and dirt bikes etc. It's pricey though, it was over $4 a gallon when gas was still affordable.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:44 PM   #9
Advanced Member

Yup, up here in Green Bay premium sells for $4/gallon, $3.20/gallon for E10. We have a bunch of Cenex stations around the area, mostly out in farm country that sell regular whole gas for $3.38/gallon.

Old 01-24-2023, 04:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Yup, up here in Green Bay premium sells for $4/gallon, $3.20/gallon for E10. We have a bunch of Cenex stations around the area, mostly out in farm country that sell regular whole gas for $3.38/gallon.
You blokes are doing good. Over here, in England, it's $6.05 at least. In Venezuala, it's only $1.11.though. Maybe your governments sanctions are not working like they thought they would

Old 01-27-2023, 07:48 AM   #11
Advanced Member

https://www.dynojet.com/jet-kit-for-...can-1500-2169/

Old 01-27-2023, 02:10 PM   #12
Advanced Member

Venezuela has cheap gas because they have huge oil reserves and refineries. I was in VZ back in the early 2000's and EVERYBODY drove something powered on gas because it is so cheap. I saw total wreaks wobbling down the highway. One was a huge early 70's Dodge Monaco that was hit so hard in the rear end that the trunk nearly blocked the view out the non existant rear window. The entire ass was bent up to be able to see the entire rear axle/diff.

We were driving a two lane road, which down there means three to five lanes, the "middle" lanes are determined by traffic flow. We're doing 60+, got passed by an old F150 pickup, bed filled with about six guys, another four where standing on the rear bumper holding onto the tail gate.

Old 01-27-2023, 03:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Venezuela has cheap gas because they have huge oil reserves and refineries. I was in VZ back in the early 2000's and EVERYBODY drove something powered on gas because it is so cheap. I saw total wreaks wobbling down the highway. One was a huge early 70's Dodge Monaco that was hit so hard in the rear end that the trunk nearly blocked the view out the non existant rear window. The entire ass was bent up to be able to see the entire rear axle/diff.

We were driving a two lane road, which down there means three to five lanes, the "middle" lanes are determined by traffic flow. We're doing 60+, got passed by an old F150 pickup, bed filled with about six guys, another four where standing on the rear bumper holding onto the tail gate.
A country full of mad bastards,:) that's for sure.

Old 02-15-2023, 03:26 AM   #14

For your 1500 nomad, Denojet kit is highly recommended apart from other kits. Try this one and leave your review