Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 04-06-2012, 09:37 PM   #1

AVC not working on Voyager radio

Automatic volume control doesn't work, anyone experience the same issue? everything thing else seems to be working fine. I like it especially around town and where I live, don't want to annoy the folks.
(Canadian Veteran Freedom Riders)
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Top Contributor

Mine is working okay. Do you have the volume really loud when you are riding ? Maybe it is proportional to the volume control setting while riding and does not go down as much when the volume is set really high ? Never checked. I think I usually have my volume control about 7 to 10 (out of 20) when riding.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjay View Post
Mine is working okay. Do you have the volume really loud when you are riding ? Maybe it is proportional to the volume control setting while riding and does not go down as much when the volume is set really high ? Never checked. I think I usually have my volume control about 7 to 10 (out of 20) when riding.

There should still be a noticeable drop in volume when you stop or slow down, that is the object of it, so you don't annoy others, I am partially deaf and also have tinnitus so I have the volume at around 15 which is my comfort level, so I can imagine it is pretty loud for people with normal hearing.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 04-07-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
Top Contributor

15 would be way too loud for me, even with my full face helmet.
My volume drops way down as I come to a stop. Maybe that is your issue, the volume is too high as you are riding so it does not decrease as much when you come to a stop ? Try a lower setting, say 7 to 10 and see if that works. If so it looks like you are stuck with a noisy radio when you stop if you ride with the setting at 15.

Old 04-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #5

have mine set at 5 on the control and 7-8 on volume gets plenty loud when moving and goes way down when stopped just try adjusting the control on how much it varies there is a noticeable difference between settings

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 04-07-2012, 06:26 PM   #6
Top Contributor

I had the Ipod on today on the Voyager, mostly highway to Niagara Falls and back. Never needed the volume above setting #8 and the AVC worked fine. It must be that you have your volume so loud when riding that it does not come down to an acceptable level when stopping ?

Old 04-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
I had the Ipod on today on the Voyager, mostly highway to Niagara Falls and back. Never needed the volume above setting #8 and the AVC worked fine. It must be that you have your volume so loud when riding that it does not come down to an acceptable level when stopping ?
I will be trying it out later but I did notice the drop in volume was noticeable before but appears to be no drop at all now, I tried it today and I think I will be discussing with the dealer on Tuesday, it is still under warranty so it may be an issue with the speed sensor or some other connection.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 04-08-2012, 07:02 AM   #8
Sr. Contributor

I love warrenties.
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #9
Top Contributor

Smokey. If I get chance I will try mine today at #15 and see if it drops to an acceptable level when stopping.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Smokey. If I get chance I will try mine today at #15 and see if it drops to an acceptable level when stopping.
Appreciate it, thanks.
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220

Old 04-08-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
Top Contributor

A response from another forum.

1 thing to note if your volume is set to high - the AVC will not work

Old 04-08-2012, 06:57 PM   #12
Top Contributor

The AVC is the "automatic volume control". The lower the AVC setting, the less amount the AVC will turn up the volume. It increases the volume based on your speed. The AVC has 6 settings. OFF and 1 thru 5. Change the setting to increase the volume while riding (or sitting still. It's safer) to the desired setting.

The AVC is independent of the main volume control. The AVC only works while under power. Set the main volume to your desired level while not moving. Press and hold the volume control until "BASS" is in the display. Release and press the volume control repeatedly until AVC is on the display. Set the AVC to the desired level. To select the desired level, push the volume control to the right to increase the setting. Push to the left to lower the setting.

You can change this setting while underway. Change it and ride. If it's not where you want it, push and hold the volume control and, as stated earlier, toggle thru until AVC is shown and adjust it again.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #13

did you get a chance to try yours at that volume setting today?
2010 VN1700 Voyager, ABS
www.cvfr.ca
VBA #02220