Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Riding > Rides/Trip Reports/Travel Information

Old 12-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #1

Riding the lower 48

At 54 I'm bored with how things have turned out and am toying with the idea of taking my Nomad 1500 across the USA. Starting from NC, I'd like to hit all the lower 48 and am in no particular rush - I'm not trying to set any records here so if it took 4 or 5 months (Mar to Aug) that would be just fine with me. Before I get too deep into this though, I would like to ask for an estimate of how much such an adventure could potentially cost. I'm not worried about what I need to take and how to prepare. I just don't want to get out there and find myself stuck because I didn't save up 20 grand or buy the very best of everything.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #2

Riding the lower 48

I'm planning on being out for a few weeks next summer when I go to the National. My preliminary checks show $45 to $50 for the cheaper motels in the southern part of the US. Getting steadily higher the farther I go east. Quite a few areas were $70 to $80. However, it gets a bit steeper in the northern sections of the country on the way back. Even the known cheap motels in South Dakota near the Black Hills will be $100 per night. A lot will depend on how close you are to the tourist areas. Consider advance reservations for places such as Yellowstone during the tourist season.

I have been spending plenty of time on the various motel sites. Don't limit the searches to a specific city. Look at areas close by and there might be better pricing. I don't mind an extra 20 or so miles to save a significant amount of money. Pays to read the reviews the super cheap prices might be that way for a reason.

Food is problematic just depends, I try to stay away from the high dollar places. Normally I average 40 mpg plus or minus, it gives me a ballpark figure for the gas.

The heat in the southern states during July and August will be a factor, too. It gets into the 100s in the Phoenix area in June and stays that way until September. The northern part of Arizona is somewhat cooler and is still be pretty warm.

My rough estimate is around 6,000 miles (not all the states, mostly the center ones) and still looking for things to see and do along the loop. Already changed my mind several times on potential areas I might ride. Enjoy your research!
2015 Red/Blk Cross Country Tour - sold
2008 Red/Blk Nomad - sold
KE7HG
VBA 00176, IBA 65686, MOA 211564

Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Maggie Valley '11|Kanab '12|Estes Park '13|Red Lodge '16|Custer '18

Old 12-30-2010, 11:25 PM   #3

Riding the lower 48

Typed in Motorcycle Riding the lower 48 states. There is a lot of information that could help you.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Riding the lower 48

I would say a person would need at least $2,000 per month. That is if you spend every night in a motel. If you camped you could cut back on that amount. Even eating at McDonalds you would spend around $5.00 per meal as a minimum.

If I were in the single status I would be inclined to do it with you. Can't see as the wife would allow me to take off for even a month much less four or five.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 12-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #5

Riding the lower 48

I spent $2500.00 when we went to Custer and that was for 1 week.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 12-31-2010, 09:02 AM   #6

Riding the lower 48

Motels are always cheaper outside of cities. And as stated south is cheaper. I would say the cheapest motels going west from NC through NM and southern Utah etc, averaged about 55 dollars in 2009. Some were not real pretty. But I was by myself so I just needed a bed. Going north to Butte MT I wound up paying $85 at a chain motel, because even I wouldn't even stay at the local motels I found. Food is relative to the same price issues as motels, cheaper in the south, more in cities and the north.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:39 AM   #7

Riding the lower 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbikers
I spent $2500.00 when we went to Custer and that was for 1 week.
High Roller

Dave Jesse
2012 1700 Gray/Black Voyager
2006 1600 Nomad Green/Silver Sold
VBA #1108

2010- Eureka Springs - Antlers - 2011- Maggie Valley - Antlers
2012- Margaritaville Ride - Van Buren - Antlers - 2013- Estes Park - Antlers
2014- Mountain View - Antlers - 2015- Eureka Springs - Antlers
2016- Salem - Antlers - 2017- Eureka Springs - Lake George - Antlers - 2018- Custer - Antlers

Old 12-31-2010, 09:45 AM   #8

Riding the lower 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlabamaNomadRider
I would say a person would need at least $2,000 per month. That is if you spend every night in a motel. If you camped you could cut back on that amount. Even eating at McDonalds you would spend around $5.00 per meal as a minimum.
That wouldn't be near enough, just the motels would cost more than that, plus gas and meals in addition. Camping would be the best way to cut your costs. In a lot of areas your lucky to get a motel for $80.00- $100.00 a night. That can eat up your money in a hurry. I myself wouldn't be much for camping, I like to have a bed and a hot shower available, that way I feel rested and ready to continue on a long trip.

2002 Nomad aka Bountyhunter
VBA #27
VROC #18951

Old 12-31-2010, 10:17 AM   #9

Riding the lower 48

I actually thought I'd take my tent/sleeping bag along and perhaps a teeny stove to heat up some "beans and coffee" I buy on the way - like some kind of cowboy. Sure, if the weather turns lousy a motel is better, but if possible sleepin' outside for free (or next to it) would be the order of the day. Of course... getting a shower.... I guess that would be something to think about. Maybe cat-style baths in a rest room. I dunno - it's supposed to be ad adventure and that has a smell to it, right?

I came across this site - http://www.danielcohen.org/100days/100days48states.htm and thought about going a lot of it (not the whole 30,000) clockwise from NC, traveling west through the southern states in the spring and be more northern and heading east by the hotter months.

Is there an age cut off for this type of recklessness?

Old 12-31-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Sr. Contributor

Riding the lower 48

Most large truck stops have showers with lockers they even have towels and soap available. Some have a lounge with a TV. The restaurant food is usually not the best, but will fill you up. Surprisingly the showers aren't that expensive. If you have a CB radio you can chat with the truckers for advise.

The pull behind camper, with a queen size bed for MC's has been a favorite with people doing what you want to do. For the price of the camper, the savings at camp grounds over motels would even out after a short while. And when the trip is done sell the camper....
Gerry Martineau / 802 VT / VBA #0892 /[email]glmjgm@gmail.com[email]

Old 12-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
Mega-Contributor

Riding the lower 48

Personally, if I were going to attempt a ride like this and wanted to cut costs, I'd sleep in a tent/sleeping bag for 2 or 3 nights, then go to a motel for a shower, laundry and a good night's sleep. I wouldn't bother trying to cook my meals, with limited space on a bike, it would be difficult to carry the necessary items to prepare meals.
VBA #00105
H.O.G. #4250060

2011 H-D Ultra Limited 103ci

:: 2011 HD Electra Glide Ultra Limited w/Stage 1 ::

Rallies: Mesquite '08|Custer '09|Cortez '10|Crescent City '11|Kanab '12|Antlers '12|Estes Park '13|Antlers '13|Orofino '14|The Dalles '17

Old 12-31-2010, 12:31 PM   #12

Riding the lower 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelh
Is there an age cut off for this type of recklessness?
Heck, no! And it's not recklessness, it's an adventure! I would love to do this someday, but it won't be in the cards for many, many years. It sounds like a great time, with enough stories and adventures to come from it to last a lifetime. With careful planning, it would be a blast. There are bound to be a few bumps along the way, but I say go for it!!!

Old 12-31-2010, 12:39 PM   #13
Sr. Contributor

Send a message via AIM to AlabamaNomadRider Send a message via Yahoo to AlabamaNomadRider
Riding the lower 48

Truck stops do have some great food. They aren't cheap though. When I drove an 18 wheeler I always ate at the truck stops and did the shower and shave bit. They do charge for the towels and shower.

Pick up a copy of RoomSaver magazine which is available at rest stops and a lot of stores. It will save you a lot of money on motels. We are going to the Smokies and a room in downtown Gatlinburg will cost of $29.95. I used to stay and spend $80 and up a night until I started using the little coupon magazine. They also have a web site roomsaver.com.

I could get by on $2,000 a month but then I don't spend on unnessary things. Eat cheap and sleep cheap.

Gene Cross, Jr.
Boaz, Alabama
KawaNOW/VBA #1181

Old 12-31-2010, 01:23 PM   #14

Riding the lower 48

I think this ride would be on everyone's bucket list.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:39 PM   #15

Riding the lower 48

I believe you can make it about as cheap or spendy as you want. My wife and I had a budget of $1000. That was it! We were going to make it last as long as we could and we ended up spending 23 days on the road, and traveled about 6500 miles.

Granted, we shared a lot of $5 foot long subs and camped/stayed with family along the way, but it was a blast! We've both commented on how it was the funest summer of our lifes and hope that one day we'll have the time to do it again!

Also, if you search boondocking, you can find databases of free places to camp. That can save you some serious coin over a 3 month ride.

For food, we would usually stop and eat out for lunch. At dinner time, we'd try to find a grocery store if possible and get enough for dinner and breakfast the next day. Granola bars are cheap (when buying a box of 12) and filling. We ate our fair share of them too.
VBA #1051 (Former President)