Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-23-2016, 05:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erilflynn View Post
I have to admit at first I wasn't sure how much of a benefit I got. But after a month I'm quite quite pleased with the improved mileage, quicker response and lower temp. I just may have had unrealistic expectations at the start . And I don't find the increaseday Rpm at startup that bad. Happy camper now.
It took you a month to notice a difference? I knew in the first block that the improvement was huge! I did go from completely stock to ECU flash and Vance & Hines slip ons though. Added a Thunder Mfg BAK about a month later which bumped performance even further. Maybe if I'd had a fuel tuner and mods to start with the difference would have been more subtle, but from what I've read from everyone here I doubt it.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-24-2016, 05:38 PM   #17

nope no regrets just do it,you will be happy you did

Old 06-24-2016, 07:55 PM   #18

My only regret is that I wasted my time and money on a power commander 5 with auto-tune.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:53 AM   #19

overall I think my bike runs much smoother. I do have a nasty pinging if I give too much throttle to quickly. Thinking I might put my PCV back on and see if I can adjust it out.
V&H ProPipe, Thunder big air kit, Ivanized ECU.
Ray's throttle mod, ISO grips, 4" risers, rear light mods
Mustang Touring seat
400 watt Alpine Amp with 6.5 Kickers
Fusion LED Headlight

VBA # 02224
VROC # 2702

Godfather

Old 06-25-2016, 11:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
overall I think my bike runs much smoother. I do have a nasty pinging if I give too much throttle to quickly. Thinking I might put my PCV back on and see if I can adjust it out.
Have you called Ivan to see what he has to say about this? I see you have a Thunder BAK, I think Ivan has modified his re-flash for those having trouble with them.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Last edited by JD Hog; 06-25-2016 at 12:01 PM.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #21
Advanced Member

If you have pinging and BAK add 5% with PVC at the 3 top end entries. Ivan has said he would re adjust ECU for me if I wanted and pay shipping both ways.

Quote:

Old 06-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #22

Quote:
As said add 5-6% fuel from 3500 rpms to redline and 60% throttle. Or you can call Ivan and talk with him, in some cases he will cover the shipping back and forth. He didn't with me and I worked with him in solving the problem with my tornado kit.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 06-26-2016, 10:16 PM   #23

No regrets. Very pleased with the performance. I would do it again without hesitation.
Cobra slip-ons

Old 06-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #24

Thanks for all of the responses. Based on the responses here, my ECU is on the way to Ivan. I wonder if he is closed this week or next for July 4th?

Old 06-28-2016, 07:17 AM   #25
Advanced Member

I added 6% at the top end, pinging gone and bike runs like a bat out of hell at WOT

On the 1500, too much to list.

On the Vaquero:
V&H slash cut slip ons
Power Commander 5 and Ivan-ized ECU
Chuckster's BAK
Aux Audio adapter with bluetooth receiver.
Mustang 2 up Touring Seat w/ driver and passenger backrest
Kuryakyn Longhorn highway pegs.
Kawasaki 12 volt charger
Longer 1600 meanstreak SE kickstand
Full LED Daymaker light mod.

Old 06-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #26

My bike has become difficult to restart consistently since the flash, initial start is always fine. I also get pinging if I go wide open throttle. Overall I am happy with the flash but I could be happier. I may put the power commander on it and tweak things.

Wolf

Old 06-28-2016, 08:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by coatesp View Post
My bike has become difficult to restart consistently since the flash, initial start is always fine. I also get pinging if I go wide open throttle. Overall I am happy with the flash but I could be happier. I may put the power commander on it and tweak things.

Wolf
Try removing the end and getting it reacquainted with the bike. Follow Ivan's initial install again. Maybe something didn't go right.

2012 Vaquero
1700 Nomad
(Deceased)
Cobra Tri-Ovals
Racnrays Invention (Throttle Mod)
Ivan's flash
Thunder Tornado Big Air Kit

Old 06-29-2016, 11:43 AM   #28

I just completed a 2500 mile trip, the second stop of which was a visit to Ivan's shop to get the upgrade. I am pleased. The bike has a LOT more power, just as Ivan's dyno sheets suggest. Decel popping and backfiring are gone. My bike is stock except for RACNRAY's throttle mod. The herky jerky has not improved---it actually seems worse. Perhaps I just need to adjust my throttle.

I have had pinging three times. The first two occurred when dropping down from 6th to 5th at about 55 and gunning it to pass. The first time that occurred I had 90 octane, so I thought maybe I just needed higher octane fuel. The second time I had 91 octane (hard to find 93 on the back roads). The third time it occurred when I twisted the throttle in 5th pretty hard going up a hill, and that was with 93 octane. So it appears that pinging can occur even without a new air box and even with high octane fuel. I may get back to Ivan with whether I want to tweak it. I will say that this only occurred when the bike had been running a long time and it was hot. Don't know the relevance, but that's when it happened.

I choose to stick with stock pipes and air. I can't imagine that this is much of a restriction up through 5th at normal fast acceleration, as it is now wayyyy faster getting up to speed. I do sense that it may be a restriction in 6th. When I try to accelerate hard at, say, 65, it goes faster than it did, but I feel like it wants to swallow more air than is available. Ivan says air is also a restriction at higher RPMs.

Like JD Hog, my gas mileage seems a bit higher when I ride gently. On the flat heading east with a slight tailwind, I got about 44 mpg, a bit higher (2 mpg) than my previous best. That was running between 62 and 65 (actual) in 6th. MPG gies down significantly for me above 70. Wind has a big effect, so the comparisons are hard.

I'm glad I did it. I'm not a speed demon at all, but I like the bike to perform, and it does. I'll have to see about the pinging though.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:33 PM   #29
Top Contributor

Try goingout for a short ride with the cover off the intake on the right side.
You will see how much the stock set up is restricting air flow.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:03 PM   #30
Advanced Member

Pinging

While it is great you posted please contact Ivan and let him know too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulcanD View Post
I just completed a 2500 mile trip, the second stop of which was a visit to Ivan's shop to get the upgrade. I am pleased. The bike has a LOT more power, just as Ivan's dyno sheets suggest. Decel popping and backfiring are gone. My bike is stock except for RACNRAY's throttle mod. The herky jerky has not improved---it actually seems worse. Perhaps I just need to adjust my throttle.

I have had pinging three times. The first two occurred when dropping down from 6th to 5th at about 55 and gunning it to pass. The first time that occurred I had 90 octane, so I thought maybe I just needed higher octane fuel. The second time I had 91 octane (hard to find 93 on the back roads). The third time it occurred when I twisted the throttle in 5th pretty hard going up a hill, and that was with 93 octane. So it appears that pinging can occur even without a new air box and even with high octane fuel. I may get back to Ivan with whether I want to tweak it. I will say that this only occurred when the bike had been running a long time and it was hot. Don't know the relevance, but that's when it happened.

I choose to stick with stock pipes and air. I can't imagine that this is much of a restriction up through 5th at normal fast acceleration, as it is now wayyyy faster getting up to speed. I do sense that it may be a restriction in 6th. When I try to accelerate hard at, say, 65, it goes faster than it did, but I feel like it wants to swallow more air than is available. Ivan says air is also a restriction at higher RPMs.

Like JD Hog, my gas mileage seems a bit higher when I ride gently. On the flat heading east with a slight tailwind, I got about 44 mpg, a bit higher (2 mpg) than my previous best. That was running between 62 and 65 (actual) in 6th. MPG gies down significantly for me above 70. Wind has a big effect, so the comparisons are hard.

I'm glad I did it. I'm not a speed demon at all, but I like the bike to perform, and it does. I'll have to see about the pinging though.

Tags
ecu, ivan