Register FAQ Upgrade Membership Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
Go Back   Vulcan Bagger Forums > Technical :: Maintenance :: Performance > 1700 Nomad, Vaquero & Voyager

Old 06-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

Anyone regret having ECU Ivanized?

I've been reading several threads about the Ivan ECU flash. I have a 2016 Vaquero with 300 miles that is stock except for Mustang seat and a Clearview windshield on the way. I am on the fence about doing the Ivan flash.

Some people have talked about having a high idle at startup, engine not warming up when the weather is cold, possible extra carbon on the pipes from running rich, hard to restart like the engine is flooded, etc.

To the guys who have had this done, is there anything that has happened that made you regret your decision? When the temperature is cold does the engine eventually warm up and the idle return to normal or does it idle high the whole time?

Thanks for your insight. I think this is my first post here so if I did something wrong, forgive me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-21-2016, 11:50 AM   #2

Welcome from Northern California!

No regrets at all!

I'm so happy with this re-flash that if the State of California were to go to annual inspections and mine wouldn't pass as is I would purchase a new or used stock ECU just to pass the test and install the re-flashed one after.

Here in Northern California I ride in weather from 40° to 100° and the bike warms up all the time. It does do a little variation on the RPM's at first but settles down to the 950 RPM very quickly.

I have not had any restarting problems and the engine does warm up to run correctly in the colder weather because the thermostat will stay closed so it does. I do enjoy the cooler running bike in the hot weather. I have not had any problems in the colder weather as far as how the engine runs.

I have not noticed any carbon buildup on the pipes so I don't think it is running rich especially since I average about 2-1/2 to 3 miles per gallon better after the re-flash.

My bike is totally stock except for the re-flash and RACNRAY's throttle mod so others may have a different outcome depending on their mods.

2005 Vulcan Nomad Sold
2006 Honda 1800 VTX (Freebie) Sold
2008 Harley Ultra Classic Sold
2001 Harley Ultra Classic Sold

Hangtown, Kalifornia

VBA #2625

Old 06-21-2016, 12:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Hog View Post
Welcome from Northern California!

No regrets at all!

I'm so happy with this re-flash that if the State of California were to go to annual inspections and mine wouldn't pass as is I would purchase a new or used stock ECU just to pass the test and install the re-flashed one after.

Here in Northern California I ride in weather from 40° to 100° and the bike warms up all the time. It does do a little variation on the RPM's at first but settles down to the 950 RPM very quickly.

I have not had any restarting problems and the engine does warm up to run correctly in the colder weather because the thermostat will stay closed so it does. I do enjoy the cooler running bike in the hot weather. I have not had any problems in the colder weather as far as how the engine runs.

I have not noticed any carbon buildup on the pipes so I don't think it is running rich especially since I average about 2-1/2 to 3 miles per gallon better after the re-flash.

My bike is totally stock except for the re-flash and RACNRAY's throttle mod so others may have a different outcome depending on their mods.
AGREED!

I sent mine in with only 10 miles on my bike, I read all the threads on here and another Vulcan forum and that the ECU flash was an absolute first mod. the only thing I found/find a tad odd is my idle fluctuates on cold start but is gone within 1 minute. I've ridden in 60*-95* weather and the temp guage creeps up in traffic or at long red lights on the hot days.

other than that I'm more than happy with my purchase of the vaquero and Ivans flash.

Old 06-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
Advanced Member

I have a higher idle at start. Warm and cold, but doesn't take long for it to go back to a steady 950 rpm.

The only regret I may have in the future is if my wife finds out how much I paid for it. Or worse, she sells it for what I told her I paid.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 06-21-2016, 06:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsilver1968 View Post
I've been reading several threads about the Ivan ECU flash. I have a 2016 Vaquero with 300 miles that is stock except for Mustang seat and a Clearview windshield on the way. I am on the fence about doing the Ivan flash.

Some people have talked about having a high idle at startup, engine not warming up when the weather is cold, possible extra carbon on the pipes from running rich, hard to restart like the engine is flooded, etc.

To the guys who have had this done, is there anything that has happened that made you regret your decision? When the temperature is cold does the engine eventually warm up and the idle return to normal or does it idle high the whole time?

Thanks for your insight. I think this is my first post here so if I did something wrong, forgive me.
I have to admit at first I wasn't sure how much of a benefit I got. But after a month I'm quite quite pleased with the improved mileage, quicker response and lower temp. I just may have had unrealistic expectations at the start . And I don't find the increaseday Rpm at startup that bad. Happy camper now.
2002 Honda 750 A.C.E. (gone)
SCRC 2nd Officer Central Jersey Chapter

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Old 06-21-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have started mine in very cold temps, high 30's. Yea, it idles high...but it certainly warms up and it goes down. At 38 it takes a bit, 3 or 4 miles if you don't wait and just go. Anything over 60 and it is hardly noticeable, maybe a minute or two. And I will say the idle though a tad high is consistent...it doesn't hunt like it did on the factory flash.

No hard restart issues at all.

Yea, it runs a bit rich in a few spots. Tiny bit more carbon but nothing really noticeable.

I was really worried about how it would behave in high temps, I was concerned that it might ping. I got stuck in a traffic backup at 95 degrees, when I got out I tried hard to get it to ping. Never happened.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #7

No regrets

My hard restart issue was present before the flash and very intermittent. I am convinced that it's a compression release issue. My only idle concern is sometimes it is slow to return to idle when warm. That seems to be eliminated by increasing the curb idle +50. Fuel mileage seems to have increased 1.5 mpg. Don't believe the ridiculously high numbers. I can get those too if I ride around at 50 mph! Consistent performance cannot be met any other way. I did the flash to an Ebay ECU because of speculation too. But knowing what I do now-Go for it.

Old 06-22-2016, 02:06 AM   #8

The "hard to restart like the engine is flooded" comment was likely mine. It's an extremely small something I noticed happen just once, and doesn't detract at all from my overall view of Ivan's flash being the very best modification I've ever made to my Voyager. That's despite the 15 day turn around, expensive shipping, NZ Customs clipping the ticket, and an extremely poor exchange rate currently... NZ$850, or US$593 all up, and I'd do it all again in a heartbeat.

Don't sweat the small stuff. The vast number of benefits by far outweigh the few very small quirks.

Nothing screams poor workmanship like wrinkles in the duct tape
'02 1500 blonde Nomad (Sold) '97 800 burgundy Classic (Sold)

Old 06-22-2016, 06:33 AM   #9

Thumbs Up No regrets on Ivanizing

Quote:

Had mine done about 6 weeks ago and I've put over 1,000 miles on her since and it's been the best 1,000 miles so far!
Love it,
No regrets,
JUST DO IT!

Save

"People ask us why we ride a motorcycle. For those who have experienced the joy, no explanation is necessary; for those who have not, no explanation is possible."

Tom Centofanti
Florence, NJ
VBA#3676

Old 06-22-2016, 07:26 AM   #10

You guys keep spouting off on how great this mod is I might actually have to get it done. The problem I have is I'm not unhappy with my current Stock Pipes/ K&N / Bully Processor. I know where there is an Ivan Modified ECU, Wonder if he would miss it for a week so I could try it out? Hmmm....

Probably my biggest hesitation is "What do I do with an ECU issue a few years down the road if Ivan is not around?"

Mike
Aka: Red_VGR

Old 06-22-2016, 07:48 AM   #11
Advanced Member

I've been running the Ivan's ECU for 3 months and 20,000 kms. I have a spare stock ECU and I've never been tempted to put it back in.
No regrets here.
Be aware of the different idle characteristics and the requirement for higher octane fuel but the benefits far outweigh any negative concerns.

Garry

2009 1700 Voyager KACT, sold at 679,465 kms
2011 1700 Nomad
Improve handling, suspension and tire life
with Garry's Fork Brace.
PM for details.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:22 AM   #12
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post

Probably my biggest hesitation is "What do I do with an ECU issue a few years down the road if Ivan is not around?"

Mike

Same thing I'd do if I had a stock ecu. Buy another stock one.

Cloning Ivan might be the best thing for our future generations.
PCV (removed)
Ivan's ECU flash

Old 06-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike07nad View Post
You guys keep spouting off on how great this mod is I might actually have to get it done. The problem I have is I'm not unhappy with my current Stock Pipes/ K&N / Bully Processor. I know where there is an Ivan Modified ECU, Wonder if he would miss it for a week so I could try it out? Hmmm....

Mike
Ivan's Performance has been around for quite sometime, check out some of the sport bikes forums he has been doing those for idk how many years. he didn't just start doing this 6months ago.

Old 06-22-2016, 07:55 PM   #14

No regrets. Except, wish I had done it sooner. Wish I had not spent time and money on other attempts to address the issues resolved by Ivanizing.

Ride safe,
Smokier
2012 Victory Crossroads in Sunset Red "Ruby"

Previous Vulcans: '15 Vaquero, '12 Vaquero, '10 1700 Nomad, '04 1500 Classic, '01 1500 Classic, '88 Vulcan 750
VROC # 10967 | VBA # 3115

Old 06-23-2016, 12:59 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmighty View Post
Ivan's Performance has been around for quite sometime, check out some of the sport bikes forums he has been doing those for idk how many years. he didn't just start doing this 6months ago.
Not doubting the quality of his work, but when your time is up..... We never know what the next moment will bring. Saying this, whats the worst that can happen if there is a problem a couple years down the road with the ECU, you'll have to buy another. Could happen regardless of reflashed or not. Chances are very slim the reflash done correctly will cause a problem.

Tags
ecu, ivan